1st Shot of the Enterprise From New Star Trek Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Drake, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    quoted for geekiness and truth.

i'm still not sure i like the whole building the Enterprise on Earth. especially given the structure needed to hold it's odd shape up during construction (like the large overhanging saucer section) would be almost as much material as the ship itself. unless the engines somehow weigh as much as the saucer and balance it out...... i'd rather see it like this
    [​IMG]

2. Razorblaze

Razorblaze God of Thunder TFW2005 Supporter

Whoa!! I'm so looking forward to the new Trek.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

:jawdropper: 

OMG, that's so freakin' AWESOME!!! Can't wait for the movie to come out! You can bet that I'll be in the movie theatre, with my brother in tow and plenty of :popcorn .

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Your forgetting that USS Voyager could land on planets, and did so 5 or 6 times. and a lot more of it's mass was in the it's saucer section than 1701 Enterprise. Plus according to TNG (and Enterprise) Star Trek warp engine nacells are hollow.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Why would they appear to spin? Because It Looks Cool.

Why would the nacelles glow at all? Why would the warp core pulsate blue? Why does Starfleet run 40,000 volt power conduits through their computer interfaces so they can 'explode' violently during battles?

Because It Looks Cool!

6. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    actually, i think the Voyager looks more balanced and not as front heavy (plus i didnt' forget, i just didn't like Voyager, landing on planets or in general). the saucer sits more over the main hull as opposed to out in front of it. plus if the engines were hollow as you say, then the Enterprise would have an even bigger problem with tipping over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This explains why they also, apparently, run steam pipes behind the bridge walls....

8. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. At least not according to the guys who filmed the model.

9. lars573

Look at that Voyager pic you see those yellow blobs near the bottom of the hull (the rear most ones are just above the bussard collector). Those are Voyagers landing struts. Given their position more of the V's mass is hanging in front of them then behind them.

And yes the engine nacells are hollow. There is an Enterprise season 3 episode (called the Hollow IIRC) where the entire crew of Enterprise hides in the nacells. So it's nacells can hold a little over 40 people each (82 crew, 2 nacells). Plus a season 6 or 7 TNG episode that is mostly set in one nacell. Basically in Treknobabble terms those engines are just conductors of a plasma stream into the bussard collectors which are what create the warp field. The blue line is what moves the ship in the warp field. See I'm such a nerd I LISTEN to the Treknobabble and try and make sense of it. :p 

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Y'know, I have to drop in here and mention something fundamentally important to remember about Star Trek:

IT'S FICTION. IT'S FAKE.

I've been a Star Trek fan since I was like 10 or 11 and I spent the first 6-7 years of being a fan trying to digest as much information as I could on the Star Trek universe and the onus behind why the ships, characters, treknology, etc. work and do what they do. There are frustrating, tiny inconsistencies in the Star Trek chronology. Sometimes, there are direct contradictions in the television show. Occasionally, the characters use the wrong terminology to explain stuff.

That's because it's a TV show and film series where writers come up with inventive ways for the Star Trek characters to use science or emotion (or some other plot device) to overcome that episode/film's enemy, be it nature, an opposing character/race, or some vague bad thing.

The writers are occasionably fallible. The directors sometimes want the actors to do things you'd never expect their characters to do.

...but at the end of the day, it's a neat show with spaceships and phasers and a positive outlook on the future.

I mean, I seriously used to worry about this stuff - why the Enterprise-A has more decks in one film than it does in another, why Sulu uses the term "quadrant" as if it's a small variable when, in fact, TNG, uses it to refer to a large 4th of the galaxy, etc. etc. Worrying about this stuff, though, in my opinion, is analagous to worrying about mass-shifting in the Transformers film or "I'll see you in hell!" in Empire Strikes Back...it may seem off, or out of place, but it's nothing to get up in arms about.

I guess the point I was trying to get at with this is that, yeah, it's fun to note these little differences and inconsistencies, but it's not worth it to get negative about them.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I love the technobabble debates going on in this thread, awesome. Hope the movie is as good!!

12. lars573

Ah ah, when refering to Star Trek it's Treknobabble. ;)  I love it too. Hence whey I participate.

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Or why the Enterprise D kept rocks in the ceiling during Season 3 of TNG.

Really. Go watch Yesterday's Enterprise for a really good example of this. At one point the tactical console explodes, showering rocks onto Riker (who dies). ROCKS.

14. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    What? It looks like the Ship from Star Trek: The Next Generation, only with some added quirks. What's different about it?

PS: Has anybody seen the supposed entire cast for the New Star Trek film? You know, aside from Sylar of Heros? I saw 'em in Empire Magazine. That's a werid casting, right there. Especially for Kirk (Chris Pine) and Bones (Karl Urban?). I hear, even Erica Bana's in it? WTF? This is as werid as the Speed Racer Trailer.

15. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

What!? That looks looks nothing like Enterprise D. It's a realistic update to the original 60s Enterprise.

16. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say but I like it!

17. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Hang on... I'm going to Google this...

[Intermission]:

Dude, seriously, my bad! It Really doesn't look like the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-B/C). I Wikipedia'ed it. The image and the name got all mixed up in my head. :eek:  :bowdown: 

Still lookes like. Shiny.

18. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    My take on it is "this is how they might have done the original E if they had a budget"

As is, I've found the apparent need to replicated the "look" of the original series ridiculous. Those models and sets were built on shoestring budgets. The interiors look RIDICULOUS IMO, and the whole reason people continue to want that look is "because that's how it is supposed to be", like with the G1 styling and the recent movie.

I've always loved the look of the movie-era Enterprise (the refit and A models) because it LOOKS like a sophisticated piece of engineering, not a rough prototype. There was depth to the ship and its interiors lacking in the original series.
    So I'm glad they appear to be going with a more "Enterprise A" look to the ship.

19. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

20. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

i like the cast and I can see most of them, if not all, but Kirk / Pine selection buggs me. Im sure im not alone however. I just dont see it