1st-grade girl bullied for liking "Star Wars"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Sinister, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    :lol 

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Parents started taking precautions when 9 year old kids started committing suicide, there have 2 kids in my nephews class to take their own lives, I think it's pretty fucking sad when it comes to a KID taking their own life because a kid is making fun of them.

1 of the kids that committed suicide was teased because he didn't have Silly Bands, because his parents couldn't afford to buy them. He died over pieces of fucking rubber.

I also find it sad, that a lot of people in this thread is making light about it too. You may see it as teasing, fact is.....ah fuck it, no matter what I say about it, you people are just gonna put it off as it's only harmful teasing.

3. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'll tell you what the problem is.

Society as a whole is becoming so dependant on the "someone else will take care of me" problem. From our insanely generous welfare program to jobless benefits lasting like 57 years, society as a whole has relaxed because of the idea that "someone will take care of me".

The idea of taking care of yourself, or making it on your own, or standing up for yourself, is completely and totally destroyed. Now there are groups to join who will stand up for you, if you fail at life you get taken care of, to the point that many people stop trying because it's easier to have someone else foot the bill. That mindset is being passed on from the Welfare generation to their children.

Why else are 9 year olds taking their own lives?

I got teased for having a big head. For having big ears. For not growing hair on my legs at 12 years old (jokes on them, I'm one hairy mother fucker now). For not being good at sports. For liking Transformers and buying toys. For watching kiddie television shows. For the girls I dated. I moved at age 9 from Minnesota to Colorado and came home crying one day because I felt like I had no friends, like no one cared. In high school, my group of friends picked on me and pretty much made me feel like crap every single day.

My parents always told me that it takes a bigger person to take that kind of crap than it does to dish it out. That the people that make fun of you are the people that have the problem, that have an insecurity that makes them feel better for picking on other people. That at the end of the day my life is pretty fucking nice, and there must be something fucked up in theirs. And that knowledge should be more than enough to make me smile as I turn away from their taunts and verbal assaults.

I look at my life now. I'm enjoying it. I have an amazing circle of friends who were there for me when both parents were diagnosed with cancer, a girl who I love more than anything who has stood by me even when it inconvenienced her, and there's not a single night that goes by that I don't have someone to call to go do nothing for a few hours. I have, in theory, the perfect life for me ... and I got it on my own.

So no, I don't have sympathy when I read articles about people killing themselves because they got picked on. If you're being you then you have nothing to be ashamed of. If you're being picked on and you feel taking your own life is the answer, then you're trying to be someone you're not and you're failing at it, leaving you with NO recourse on what to do, and so suicide seems like the only answer.

And yes, I am part of "Generation X" ... and my generation is known as the Welfare Generation, as we are some of the biggest failures at life, and the Baby Boomers in charge of everything have this insatiable desire to take care of us. And we've passed our laziness and inability to overcome obstacles on our own to our children, who now showcase this in the type of behavior you keep reading about.

Go back to the days of schoolyard fights, fights in the hallways, fights outside school at the bus stop, to where a bloody nose was a right of passage and not a reason to sue another family. Because the direction our lives are headed now is a life of "omg, I don't like what he said, someone stop him and make me feel better!".

$0.02

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Overhaulimus, that's terrible but it's not the teasing that's the issue here.

Kids aren't just well-adjusted, happy, and normal one day when all of a sudden they get made fun of over rubberbands and kill themselves. There's much more hideous entities there that far overshadows a few taunts and verbal jabs. Or you can just blame McDonalds for getting kids fat, while you're at it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

:p  Now! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Thank God I was raised by pitbulls in Louisiana!

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Can we just declare this thread over now? If not, then:

WINNER!

7. RavenousPrime

RavenousPrime Fantasy Author

People are so weird when they bully someone for liking something like that.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can u imagine if the kid was a star trek fan? Yeesh.

9. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Boys who like girls are teh gay.

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Being on the receiving end of it for almost my entire school life it leaves scars, to what degree depends on if you have any positive to go along with the negative, someone who has a whole school against them 24/7 needs to be helped somehow, someone who gets some jabs here and there thats kids being kids.

I don't have a clear perspective on this to say the least, kids need to be let develop, but they can't also just be fed to the wolves like raw meat either.

/shudder, they destroyed what little like I had of Star Wars after the third round of special editions...
    did you know that all 6 films maybe released AGAIN in 3d?????

11. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    You can only do that if you play guitar and are not a virgin.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Yeah, no kidding. I remember the homeboys making fun of me for wearing Nike shoes when Reebok was the in-thing back in middle school. I remember not being upset, but just thinking, "Wow, really?"

Point is, kids are cruel and school is the last vestige of the animal kingdom, or the wild west - or whatever analogy suits you - as it applies to people. Their unrefined mentalities are similar to that of animals who mostly concern themselves with domination.

A lot of bullying wouldn't happen if parents were better at teaching their kids that just like animals in the wild, the predators are going to attack the weakest looking members of the pack. So not looking weak goes a long way. Chin up, shoulders back, look self assured and confident - even if, like me when I was a kid, all you want is to be left in peace.

13. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Shit, you're right. I can't believe I forgot the most integral part!

14. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

So the other day, I walked into school, and a buddy of mine saluted to me and called me Saddam Hussein. That kinda peeved me, so I kicked him in the chest and laughed it off instead of blogging about it. True story.
    Kids need to learn to do stuff like that, or they're free to kill themselves later on. I, like other people in this thread, don't sympathize with the families of those kids, just because they got a bad egg. Imagine what those suicide kids would be like if the world around them was ultra-plush, and they were suddenly dumped into this world as adults.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    A lot of people seem to think the solution to any sort of bullying is just to 'man up and fight back'. Violence is apparently the answer. A lot of people aren't in a position to do that.

And unfortunately some of these kids felt suicide was the answer. Then there's also the Columbine kids who decided to go with a combination of the two.

A better solution would be to not focus on bullying so much as creating a more cohesive environment for everyone. It's not just the kids that are picked on that suffer. Don't stand by while someone is excluded or abused. There were times I did, and I deeply regret it. The real coward is not the one kid, unable to stick up for themselves against the crowd, it's the kids that allow the situation to develop because they want to fit in.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    All violence was good for was defending myself. When they learned they couldn't hurt me physically they tried to bully me mentally. Really with some people it doesn't stop. They need to pick on smeone to feel better about themselves. If it hadn't been me they would have found someone else. Luckily I moved away. I still got teased occasionally, but it wasn't one group of kids sole purpose in life to break me anymore. Once I got to college with people with IQ's and better things to do, it stopped completely.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

lol

18. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Just had a thought: No 1st grader would ever be bullied for liking Dexter.

19. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    The guy with the laboratory or the guy with all the knives and plastic sheeting?

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    This! hahahaha