1986 movie should get a sequel (poll)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by G1DeadEnd, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Should a sequel be made to the 1986 movie?

1. Yes.

34 vote(s)
    25.2%
  2. No.

65 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. I don't care.

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. I want pie.

22 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    Just occurred to me, that I would love to see a proper, hand-drawn animated film sequel to the 1986 original. Continuing 30 years later after the original story. I'd also love to work on it.

Do I hear a second?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

There was a sequel. It was called "The Five Faces of Darkness". And despite poor animation, it had a better story and dialogue than the movie.

Next!

3. G1DeadEnd

News Credits:
    Ok, I've watched that earlier today . . . what I meant was a big production, like the original, maybe almost all new characters, with some old original cast. Thank you for your answer.

4. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couldn't work.

I'd go into a longer-worded rant on why these fanboy dreams are impossible, but I'm too tired at this time.

5. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Seriously? This again?

6. G1DeadEnd

News Credits:
    If it were up to me, I'd ignore all the other series, that came after.

7. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus 9 Great Demon Generals progress: 5/9

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, you want a traditional G1 animated movie set in 2035?

No.

Primary reason, the movie already continued in the form of Season 3. A sequel really isn't needed.

8. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I voted yes if this was 1987

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Who am I kidding? Would watch it, buy it and buy the toys again.

Fans object to almost evrything, until they get ahold of it. The worst thing about G1 is that its dated.
    Plus we hear about Bay killing our childhood. Dont care about technicalities, would be fun.
    They could even do it like the Animatrix or Halo Legends and allow different artists to have their take on it. Could be a good way to discover something great that weve been missing. Alot of good writers/artists out there.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No.

Because I don't trust anyone today to make it.

Some people think the Bay movies raped their childhood? They didn't. Because they are a completely separate and unrelated thing. But an attempted sequel to the Animated Movie? THAT would rape your childhood.

No thanks.

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

this; except i actually thought it had rather great animation, in the first few parts. it is the latter that really wasn't all that great.

but it was a fantastic start to a new season!
    this too.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno about a sequel, but I'd quite like to see the original back in theatres for a short run. I know a UK cinema ran it on a single screen for a few weeks during one of the other BayFormers' runs, so it's not entirely an impossible dream. Would be a nice alternative to BayFormers so parents worried about the child suitability of the live-action movies could still take their kids out for a Transformers cinema experience (minus the 'Oh, shit!' line, of course). The quality of the art and animation still holds up really well even today. Hasbro could even release some of the Classics/Universe/Generations figures to go alongside it since we've got just about the entire main cast redone in some form as modern toys now.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing how much money the 1986 movie might make with regards to today's audience. Sure they could just grab an old DVD copy of the film for a quid, but there's always the allure of the cinema experience, plus if it did well enough it might get a proper full-on Blu-Ray outing.

13. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

i'd watch it.

14. G1DeadEnd

News Credits:
    Thanks to all that replied, and voted so far! I had no idea, so that the majority feels very protective of the original, where you wouldn't want to expand on it with even an indirect sequel in fear of ruining the whole. Like the Bible says: "Don't patch an old piece of clothing with a brand new fabric, because it will tear out the old, and the hole will become even bigger than before."

Please let me, for a moment, elaborate on what I picture a sequel might be like. Like I said before, the storyline would take place so much later than the story of "2005", that it would allow for a pretty much brand new cast. Imagine an older Wreck Gar, or any other surviving character plus the new, yet unknown/unexplored ones. Maybe Daniel has kids by now.
    Also imagine present day rock bands to create a cool soundtrack for it -- with real musical instruments. I'd say that the cost of getting animation cells onto film are less complicated, and therefore less costly, and or time consuming than they were in 1986. I'm not saying that drawing them by hand is any easier . . . but rather the process of editing, and pre-viz allows for a more flexible story . . .
    Another way this would be a totally unique film, is the freedom it's creators would have, because they wouldn't have to adhere to what came after G1 in any fashion.
    OK, if you wish, keep discussing.

15. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

I'd be against it just because that timeline was so "of it's time". Like Furman's recent retake on finishing he old Marvel/Uk G1 comics continuity, which was...uneven, not to mention not what I was expecting since I thought he'd continue on from the never-finished Liege Maximo cliffhanger from G2.

Honestly tho', if you're going to go that far into the future from the old cartoon series/movieverse, you could just do an entirely new show that references it enough to feel like it's in that continuity while being it's own thing altogether and not be enslaved to it because it'd be so far removed from the original.

16. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Add on: plus, if you're counting the japanese continuity as a canon, then you'd be starting from there, Masterforce etc. Where do you go from there?

17. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    It already had a sequel in everything G1 after the movie.

But I'm not sure if I'd want another "sequel". I'll think it over with some pie.

Pie's good, helps you think.

18. G1DeadEnd

News Credits:
    OK, that's fair . . . a new movie, set in the same universe as the 1986 movie, but not directly connected in any significant way. I would really want that, but in the same format as the 1986 movie . . . meaning, no CGI :)  no silly modernization of everything for the sake of trendiness :) 

19. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I really want pie.

Thanks for the lovely option.

20. shockwavedalek

shockwavedalek Well-Known Member

I want pie, have you got any pie?