1985... those were the days

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OldDirtyBot, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Decepticon Silver Plane.... is that paragraph the first recorded use for the term "Seeker" for the Decepticon Jets?! Could be...

Also, I love how they show the kids standing up in the radio flyer wagon, way to promote safety there!.

2. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

So kool

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    WoW! That brings back memories! I remember ogling these "wishbooks" as a kid. And I was 15 in 1985, so I'm getting a little f'klepft lookin' at it!

*sniff* wipe tear from eye.....

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    At least yours phased out!

I traded all of mine for more G.I. Joe stuff, which I actually still have boxed up somewhere but there's a lot of missing pieces and broken crotch/thumbs.

Devastator, Insecticons, Thrust, Sunstreaker, Superion, Bruticus, Roadbuster, Rodimus Prime, and like a billion mini-bots got me a beat up Sky Striker, a super-glued H.I.S.S., The Platform thing with the helipad (I can't remember the official name), and about 15 Joes (mostly for building my Cobra ranks).

Optimus Prime got traded for Voltron though, which I thought was a good deal at the time. :( 

I am never letting my kids trade stuff.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Thanks for posting that catalog pic, it really takes me back.

6. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I remember those catalogues. They used to be my favourite thing in the world, to just get the fresh new Sears catalogue and spend an hour or two reading through it, finding out all the cool things that were available this year, and start dreaming.

Doesn't work that way now, though... these days we know about new stuff before they even have a painted prototype.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic. Over at Rebelscum.com, some one posted similar scans from Sears, and the UK Argos catalogue... Star Wars, Transformers, MOTU... talk about nostalgia...

8. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I own this catalog at this very moment. I should scan some of the interesting toy pages in a higher resolution and make them available on my website.

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Brings back memories of spending hours staring at catalogs included with toys, and produced by toy shops. Having to make choices between one or the other, and having to persuade the powers that be (were) that i didn't have enough toys already.

Not necessarily happier times, just past ones.

Linky?