“Spectacle” plays a huge part in how successful a Transformers movie is

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by xDOTMPrime, Mar 31, 2020.

1. xDOTMPrime

xDOTMPrime Banned

I feel like general audiences when seeing these movies want to see something big and that’s why Bays first 3 movies especially were so successful. It isn’t a coincidence that the biggest TF movie ever made (DOTM) was the most successful. With TLK, it might have had a bigger budget (ALOT was wasted on stupid things) but it didn’t look anywhere near as big ambition wise with most battles taking place on generic places...

Of course this isn’t the only reason they’re successful but it’s a huge part I think people overlook.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

Simply having bigger set pieces wouldn't have saved the bay films. The fact is that TLK itself was a bunch of crap cobbled together trying to set up an excuse for Paramount to make historical themed period pieces with robots shoved into them. And the low effort to that end shows.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TLK literally had two planets smacking into each other. I don’t know how much bigger the spectacle could’ve gone. I personally was burned out by it.
    After how bloated the Bay movies had gotten, I was dying for something small-scale. The BB movie brought it back down to earth (literally) & gave me a reason to care about the movie cast again.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spectacle, story, and characters.
    Thats all you need honestly. Thats what the best action movies have going for them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I tend to agree. The general public didn't seem to be going for the characters or story. The thing that always stuck with people was the spectacle.

And I think spectacle was also part of the downfall of the Transformers movies. Audiences seem to be shifting away from spectacle-based movies, and towards more story-based media. Like, when people talk about Marvel, people talk about the universe and the story and the characters. It's less frequent to hear people talk about the spectacle in those movies. I think future Transformers movies will have to find a healthy mix of spectacle and storytelling to stay relevant.

On a personal level, I actually feel like DOTM has the worst spectacle of the series. 2007 gave us the first live-action Transformers, ROTF has Devastator, AOE has Dinobots and Lockdown's ship, TLK has Cybertron colliding with Earth, and Bumblebee has triple-changers and the Cybertron fight. The big spectacle thing in DOTM was the Driller. It was neat, but it was the weakest of all those things for me. The opening sequence was pretty cool though.

• Like Like x 4
  7. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

I honestly thought DOTM may have come in at the top of the list regarding spectacle.

Granted, I'm from Chicago myself, and back when filming took place my parents took me downtown to check things out; so I'm likely biased about the third act of DOTM based not only off the battle location being one that I'm deeply familiar with, but also my experience of getting to see them produce it. I still place TFTM as my favorite movie in general, I think a large draw for me (then and now) is the spectacular side of that film. To this day, I compare the CGI in blockbuster films to the 2007 Transformers, and all things considered I find it pretty impressive that they were able to pull the visual side off so well, from the lighting complex lighting applied to the 3D models to the strong color choices and so on. Devastator was also an obvious jawdropper, but I don't think it would be outlandish to say that the Driller influenced a lot of designs moving forward.

• Like Like x 5
  8. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    The problem for me was wasted time leading up to the spectacle. Goofing around in the junkyard, baby Dinobots, Cogman, driving around in Europe, the submarine trip... a lot of that could have been trimmed out and more focus put on the spectacle...

• Like Like x 4
  9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    The cybertron chase scene was amazing. I always wanted more of that. :redface2: 

• Like Like x 4
  10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I completely see that point of view. I will say DOTM probably has the best spectacle in-terms of technical quality. I don't recall much bad CGI in that movie, it probably holds up the best. All of the others have a couple not-so-good shots. The action was also pretty complex. In terms of big gimmicks DOTM is personally my least-favorite, but it is still very impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Gotta disagree on Bumblebee’s spectacle being the triple changers. After 5 Bay movies, the transforming is old hat. Been there, done that. For me it was beautiful scenic shots like every shot of the Golden Gate Bridge at the end.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we had gotten an extended (10-15 minutes) sequence set entirely on Cybertron in any of the Bayverse films, I would’ve seen it 10 times in a theater even if the rest of the movie sucked. The glimpse we got in DOTM looked great.

• Like Like x 6
  13. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah I could've gone without the fish dinner by candlelight while trying to save the world.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    That's true, but that's not what I want to see in a transformers movie. General audience is just there for the effects and action.

15. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

There are a few aspects to what makes the Transformers concept work and engage people and hopefully makes them want to come back to it. The spectacle that derives from the basic aspect of huge metal robots duking it out and transforming in and out of other things is one that, I guess, is a given and that only needs a great understanding of visual effects to pull off in live action. It's sort of a given. That's the hook to catch someone's attention.

But, there's also a lot more than meets the eye to Transformers, and that's a combination of story elements like characters and world building and tone (that's the trickiest one, I believe), that when balanced well, hits a sweet spot between geeky sci-fi fun, war drama and plain lighthearted camp at the same time. That's where the spark lies. That's what makes me come back again and again to Transformers and that's what I hope they achieve next time.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    dude marlin, lmao you nailed that. I remember me and my buddy were finally kinda getting invested a little into TLK when that scene happened and we just lost it totally. Definitely couldn’t get over that scene. And the talisman goes down and touches Cade’s junk it was so laughably bad and out of place. Like the most “Michael bay” thing ever.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Sablebot

Sablebot #iposttomakeyouthinknotdebate

Some of us don't overlook it-that is mostly what the bayverse films were: an over-emphasis on spectacle at the expense of other filmic storytelling elements. In the end, it left a bad taste in many mouths, which still exists, even in light of the really good Bumblebee movie. . .And the spectacle didn't prevent the bayverse ending up in a coffin. . .

18. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    General audiences bailed on TLK.

• Like Like x 1
  19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    By the fourth and fifth films, I think the spectacle element was in a direction that couldn't draw audiences anymore. No more traditional transformations, just set pieces offworld.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5