‘Transformers 5′: Mark Wahlberg Says Michael Bay Likely To Direct

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

I would love to have Mr. Bay return! However, if he wishes to work on a different project for once, then I would completely understand and wish him the best of luck!

2. valkfan

valkfan Nova Storm Lives!

When Michael Bay gave "Devastator" a scrotum in Transformers 2, I was done.

3. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Good grief.

4. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Transformers 5 becomes a hit (critically and financially) with Michael Bay at the helm. It is going to give the studios confidence that they don't really need Michael Bay to continue the Transformers series, as it will reveal that the movie's success is due to the writers team and not of Bay's direction.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know do you really think the domestic number can get low enough for Paramount to take some action when they seem more interested in their Chinese numbers than their US numbers. We saw the series go from $402 down to $352 million and then down to $245 million but here we are talking about how everything seems like it will be the same except for throwing more writers at it.

Logically the domestic numbers are more important because they make long term money thanks to the home market, but Paramount doesn't seem to be looking at the long game any more.

Would $200 million, $175 million, or $150 million domestically free us from Bay-plosions and the over use of slow motion?

6. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think people need to understand foreign money and profits are still money and profits.

If the domestic goes down and they make 3 times what they lost from other countries who cares.

I am not sure what people here have a problem with a global market place and economy, plenty of people are fine with buying imported toys thus contributing to Takara's global reach but then offended by international money into the movie franchise.

Money is money it all spends the same.

7. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

why the fuck do i have to read shit like this on here? Are there any mods out there at all? some of you are such fucking children it's completely impossible to have any type of conversation around here.

ruined your childhood? get the fuck over yourselves we're talking about toys here.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This is very true. Casuals are ultimately was decide if a series is profitable or not.

I find that very hard to believe.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Lets explain it one more time since people aren't film buffs enough to research how the business end of movies work.

Ever wonder why a soda costs you $7 at the movie theater? It's because almost all of the opening weekend ticket sells go to the movie studio domestically. The theater only gets pennies on the dollar for the big films but they make profits by volume and the over priced concession stand. Considering what the studios spend on advertising it's kind of fair since it's advertising filling the seats.

After the domestic box office run then the studio enters into profits from the home market. Selling copies of the film, having cable pay the studio for the right to show the film, and now streaming also paying the studio as well it means that domestically studios make money off a movie long after it's box office run. Between the film budget and the advertising costs it's hard for a studio to make all it's money back at the box office but the home release gives the studio the profits they need to keep the studio open. The more popular a film is at the domestic box office the more they make from the home release market.

Now switch over to the overseas box office and the studios don't get nearly the sort of cut they get from the domestic box office. It varies from nation to nation but studios only see a fraction of that overseas box office. Even with the co-production cut they got for Age of Extinction it's still less of a profit for Paramount than if they had a box office run like that domestically.

Then we get to the overseas home release. Some nations like Europe have a robust home market and the studio can look forward to continued returns long after the box office run. But some nations like China lack that strong home market so the box office run is it.

After that you have to factor in the exchange rate. The stronger the US dollar gets the less a studio makes overseas because it takes more of another currency to equal one dollar. A weak dollar and it's not as hard for studios to those billion dollar films, but as the dollar gets stronger it's harder to get there. If ticket sells did not drop by a single ticket a movie would make less just because of the exchange rate. If Transformers 5 doesn't lose any overseas fans it will still make less than Age of Extinction.

10. Papavader

Papavader Active Member

Seriously? Goddamn it, his "visual/action sense" is what is wrong with his TF movies! If you can't see that, I seriously have to doubt your capacity and credibility at judging movies. He is a one trick, Parkinson fueled, pony. And the last thing he does well is action. Unless, for you, explosions = action.

11. Python Puckman

Python Puckman Pythonicon

[​IMG]

12. JediTray

JediTray aka User897

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Color me totally UNsurprised if Bay does indeed return. TF4 pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for any hope of a decent Transformers film that would actually be ABOUT the Cybertronians we all care so much about. I was really hoping that the "all-new team of writers" we all all heard and read about would be a good sign, but when Bay is on a project, we all know he is a totalitarian and it's gotta be his way. It's been his way 4 times, so again, there's really no surprise. With the tools available to filmmakers, it's truly amazing that we have not gotten the Transformers (and Robotech, for that matter) film we deserve just yet.

13. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Whew. For a minute there I thought that you judging my capacity and credibility at judging movies actually, you know, mattered.

14. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Wait so what happened to the Transformers One Prequel?
    Which is legit?

15. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

That maybe true in the past but the trend is going the other way. US is becoming increasingly less important to studios

"Just two decades ago, overseas box office routinely accounted for less than half of a movie’s total haul. Today, studios expect a 60-40 split favoring international box office." Scott Bowles from deadline.com

Think about how many people in the US watch content on smartphones or tablets. That's not happening overseas yet at least at the same rate as it is here.

Both Avengers movies opened overseas a week before opening here and yes that's mostly because of piracy, but it also illustrates the growing importance of the international market. If anyone wants to read more search 'how the global box office is changing hollywood'

I'm not too concerned with Transformers domestic take despite AOE's drop off all four movies still fall in the top 100 all time and the first three were in the top 40 with ROTF the highest and DOTM 2nd which is interesting because most of us consider Fallen the worst of the four. With AOE it seems like that movie was made specifically to take advantage of the surging Asian markets. Also, because DOTM wasn't that long ago it tells me a TF movie can still do very well here.

And I know they're from very different moments in time, but the fact that Phantom Menace is higher than A New Hope domestically makes us look pretty bad as a movie going audience in my opinion

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Oh no! Will there be no end to the madness?!

17. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay look... This is just ONE PERSON - who happens to probably involved - saying this.

But doesn't mean it's CONFIRMED. It's NOT confirmed. Mark is just an ACTOR, not a JOURNO, or a EXEC, nor even the friggin STUDIO. I mean people!

Let's wait until an OFFICIAL - not an actor - source confirm something before we jump to conclusions. You know, it sad when someone says something, it gets blown out of proportion.

Besides, he's just signed on to make a YA novel movie of all things. Maybe that's part of his new three year deal. We don't know.

Sorry to rant your ears off. Just saying.

18. BadGuyWins

BadGuyWins B-Movie Villain

I suppose your "capacity and credibility" at judging movies is far superior?

19. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

I guess someone made a promise to that actor.
    Like who is going to direct it if he should be a part of the movie.
    Arnold is a actor, but a lot of stuff he said over the years about the terminator franchise came true

20. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Michael, bro.

It's like you're hot then you're cold. You say, "Yes," and then "No." You're in then you're out. You're up then you're down. You're wrong when it's right. It's black and it's white.

You don't really want to stay, no.
    But you don't really want to go-o.