‘Transformers’ to Lean into Love Stories in the Future

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Mar 18, 2019.

1. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

shatter and dropkick prequel spin-off anyone

• Like Like x 6
  2. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally movies Powerglide will fit in.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

While I am not opposed to exploring what passes as 'romance' for Cybertronians, I'm not entirely sure it is a good idea to give the extreme 'shippers' more fuel....

• Like Like x 4
  4. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pgalove.jpg
    AW YEAH!

• Like Like x 8
  5. killcrites

killcrites Active Member

Ebay:
    Was brainstorming different possible movie scenarios involving Transformers romance and I think a story where an Autobot and a Decepticon fall in love and are on the run from a Decepticon bounty hunter or something could be a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol 

He's what, in his 60's? I think it's time he considered retirement, he can afford a nice place to settle down and not have to worry about these kinds of things anymore.

A romance between mechs could work, but I think it needs to be distinctively ... not human, don't just have two mech characters lock lips with one another because it looks stupid and cringe-worthy.

This post also coincidentally sums up the problems with how later IDW authors portrayed the Cybes. I can practically hear the (shallow) people who only got into IDW's Transformers because of shipping and Tumblr having an aneurysm at this very notion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    That actually could be a lot of fun. Reminds me a little of Blackarachnia and Silverbolt from Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Yeah, every time he's opened his mouth lately, he's been giving me the distinct impression of a man who's frantically coming up with any means he can to keep his job.

• Like Like x 5
  9. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

*sees people complaining about lorenzo wanting to give tfs emotions and love interests*

*remembers both have existed since g1*

• Like Like x 9
  10. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

I would legit watch that. But would their forbidden romance end as a happily-ever- after or a heart-wrenching tragedy?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Interestingly enough, Wall-E deals with a robot romance. But it works because it's explained. Wall-E's idea of romance comes from old musicals he watches. He obviously wasn't programmed with a romantic side, he gained that trait as he gained exposure to past cultures. It's an interesting exploration of AI. If they could deal with romance in that way (maybe learning romance from humans), I'd be for it. But I doubt that's the route they'll go.

The fact that the Transformers have a culture and civilization is even more a reason to stay away from romance. Romance exists to help reproduction. A species that doesn't reproduce wouldn't have any concept of romance. They literally wouldn't be able to experience the sensation, therefore it wouldn't be a part of their culture. Technically, a culture like that probably wouldn't even have gender, but that almost has to be present because of real-world limitations like voice-acting. That's not a huge concern to me though, considering something like a GPS arguably has a gender.

Also, Transformers aren't natural intelligence. I think one story claimed they "evolved from gears and pulleys" or something. But 99% of the time they're constructed machines, either by an alien race or by Primus (another robot). They are most certainly an artificial intelligence, they're just more advanced than something like Wall-E. Bumblebee even has an "operating system" in the new movie. The Daleks aren't artificial intelligence, they're essentially aliens in armor.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Venixion

News Credits:

They bring bodies to a thing that is part mystical and part scientific and it puts a new soul in the shell. They don't reproduce like we do, anymore then mammals reproduce like single cell organisms do.

They can still love and form close connections.

• Like Like x 5
  13. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Well, I wouldn’t mind as long as it doesn’t detract from the action. What worries me though is the fine line between a cinematic masterpiece and lame Tumblr-esque shipping fanfiction.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    *Lorenzo closes eyes*

Clankclankclankclankclankclankclankclankclank...DING

*Lorenzo smiles*

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Well, there are different forms of love. Sure, they can love each other as friends. They can form close connections, as buddies. I just find the idea of 'couples' far-fetched in a non-reproductive race. Without reproduction there wouldn't be romantic love, and without child-rearing there wouldn't be marriage. I don't know why romance would be a thing they experience in a culture that lacks those things.

Edit: My main concern about the whole romance thing isn't necessarily the technicals. If it were kept in the background, and only implied, I'd be fine with it existing a bit of humanization, or even humor. I'm just concerned that this is a thing they want to focus a story on. It seems like the kind of thing they'd do when they're washed up for ideas. If they're going to start a "new universe", there are a million directions to go. This isn't an extremely promising start, it almost comes across like they're just bored.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Romeo and Juliet: Cybertron

• Like Like x 4
  17. Venixion

News Credits:

Reproduction doesn't hafta come into romantic love. That's strictly something your fixated on. You can love someone without wanting kids.

• Like Like x 3
  18. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I'll admit I'm not an expert on the topic, but that's the way I've always understood it to work. Romance causes you to fall in love, falling in love causes you to...well, you know what, which causes you to have kids, therefore continuing the species. Obviously there are exceptions. For instance, not everyone who gets married ends up having kids. It still seems like the desire to get married would be a byproduct of those basic desires, even if those particular people were asexual. Again, I'm no expert on the topic, I'll try to read over some articles on the subject if I get the time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Venixion

News Credits:

Lamborghini Montague and Corvette Capulet. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Literally the words I uttered aloud when I saw the thread title.

• Like Like x 3