‘Transformers’ Producer Says ‘Bumblebee’ Follow-Ups Will Have “A Little More Bayhem”

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transf0, Mar 17, 2019.

1. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    'Transformers' Producer Says 'Bumblebee' Follow-Ups Will Have "A Little More Bayhem"

‘Transformers’ Producer Says ‘Bumblebee’ Follow-Ups Will Have “A Little More Bayhem”
    • By Vinnie Mancuso
    • 8 hours ago
    [​IMG]Bumblebee is such an interesting beast of a movie. After five straight Transformers filled to the breaking point with crash-bang-boom pyrotechnics courtesy of director Michael Bay‘s most explosive tendencies, the franchise’s first spin-off toned things way the heck down to focus on character over carnage. The film—directed by Travis Knight from a script by Christina Hodson—still has its action beats, but it’s primarily the Amblin-esque story of the friendship developed between the Autobot Bumblebee and Hailee Steinfeld‘s Charlie Watson.

Bumblebee earned less at the box office than its main-franchise counterparts, but positive word of mouth plus overseas audiences carried it to profitability and a sequel is coming down the pipeline. Speaking to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura about Pet Semetary at SXSW, Collider’s own Haleigh Foutch got some details about the lessons Paramount learned from Bumblebee‘s reception as the studio heads into the franchise’s future.

[​IMG]
    Image via Paramount Pictures

“…the audience had asked us several times, in different ways, ‘I want to get to know a Transformer better.” We did that. In some respects, definitely a tip to what the audience had said to us. The interesting part is when you set out to do something like that, you don’t exactly know the ramifications of it. In this case, the ramification of it was, for the people who didn’t love the movie, was not enough action. Because you’re telling a more intimate story, therefore you can’t. So the criticism we got from some fans was like, “Hey, come on.” It was funny, I was just in Japan…and one of the reporters said to me, ‘I love the movie, I love this, I love this, and I was very tired of Michael Bay.’ I said, ‘Uh huh, I’ve heard this before.” And he goes, ‘But you know, after watching this film, I kind of wish it had a little more Michael Bay.’ It was really funny. I said, ‘Listen, I completely understand. I like what Michael does, too. Two different films, two different attempts.'”

According to Bonaventura, the studio took that type of reaction to heart. The Bumblebee sequel and beyond, he says, will attempt to maintain the spin-off’s grounded, character-driven tone while injecting just a bit more of that fiery Bay flavor into the story.

[​IMG]
    Image via Paramount Pictures

“Several lessons have come out of this. One is that we have the freedom to tell almost any story. The other is that, how strongly the audience identified with the strength of character and emotion. I know the next Transformer, our attempt anyway, is to sort of do a fusion of Bumblebee and the Bay movies…a little more Bayhem. And a little bit more of the character falling in love within the emotional dynamic of the movie. One of the things I want to do—and I hope we pull it off—is, we did it with Bumblebee because he’s so cute and he’s so accessible, but he can’t talk. I think the more human we can make these characters, the more people are going to like them.”

Be on the lookout for the rest of Haleigh’s interview with Bonaventura on Collider soon.

• Like Like x 7
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as it's clever action, I'm fine with more. I'll admit Bumblebee lacked action during almost the entire middle act. Now, that didn't really bug me, but I can understand how it could turn some people away. It's an unusual structure for an action franchise (undoubtedly a result of blending an action franchise with an ET-like formula).

My main concern is that the action stays fun and clever. Bay's action was huge and expensive, but it was mostly just robots beating each other violently. Aside from a few things like the Dinobots, it can actually feel a bit boring at times, despite the scale. I liked how Bumblebee worked transformation and whatnot into the choreography. I hope future movies do things like that.

Edit: I'm glad that heart and characterization was something they took notes on from Bumblebee's success.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 32
  3. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

If these follow-ups only exist as a prelude to the series featuring Devastator balls and Shia Labeouf blowing up Starscream's head, I don't think I'm interested anymore.

• Like Like x 41
  4. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

First time I’ve agreed with Lorenzo for years, but it’s only because he’s stating the obvious. Ofcourse a sequel would need more action, and I’m hoping Knight gets the chance to add it because from what we saw in Bumblebee he’s obviously good at action scenes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    okay after reading this, i agree on the character driven was something they mention, and when he said bayhem i think they mean't like action scenes. okay i'm fine with that,now we wait on Hasbro say in this.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    GOOD! BB was great and all but holy crap it was lacking action!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Well-Known Member

This is actually good, I agree with most of what he says here.

Now just choose what direction we are going in please. I don’t want to deal with more months of prequel/reboot debate.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Lorenzo is doubling down for some reason on this shit. I don't like it.

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark and I think that man is going to blindly destroy this franchise by having learned jack and shit from TLK's failure.

• Like Like x 31
  9. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    These clickbait headlines are getting progressively annoying.

• Like Like x 8
  10. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    This is actually one of the least sensationalized headlines I've seen. It's an unaltered quote and it's not really taken out of context. How is it clickbait?

• Like Like x 2
  11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    As long as they leave out tree Bay humor I'm all for it.

• Like Like x 9
  12. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    "Any one who didn't like the movie"

So literally nobody. I really want this dumb motherf*cker to stop talking. It's legit annoying.

• Like Like x 17
  13. Destron Supreme

Destron Supreme My Gee-Wun is the One with the Chins.

YouTube:
    Honestly, this sounds great. They’re going forward with the intention of infusing the genuine heart and soul of the Bumblebee movie with a little more action and more humanizing elements, like maybe more of a voice for Bumblebee. Honestly, I would love a Bumblee/Optimus buddy movie, one that could maybe really explore and flesh out the father-son dynamic that the characters are always stated to have without anyone really ever giving weight to it. While I thought the Bumblebee Movie did at least great least implying this type of connection- especially with the forest scene where the first Cybertronian Bumblebee can think of as family is Optimus, as well as their reunion at the end-, and I would love to see that expanded upon. As the two faces of the franchise, this could be an excellent way to really give the pair layers, both too each other and unto themselves. Here’s hoping!

• Like Like x 1
  14. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Reddit mod rank achieved

News Credits:
    I don\'t like this it seems that despite the success of the bee movie, moronzo seess to be doubling down on trying to get the bayverse to continue. Which is weird. I could understand not wanting to end the series on a cliffhanger, but it seems like he\'s directly trying to force some aspects of Bay in. Does he think Hasbro will forget him once Bay leaves. I was never much on hating him and was even supportive when he got that award from Hasbro but honestly his blatant bad additude towards the knightverse has really opened my eyes on some of the stuff people say about him.

• Like Like x 6
  15. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    It’s like he's making up a lie "people didn't like the movie, they want more Bayhem" just to make what he clearly wants--more moronic slam bang erotic sweaty teenage shit.

Sigh, we got one good movie... my money's now on him having Bumblebee pissing all over the city in the sequel.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  16. TopShot16

TopShot16 Dinobot "Technician"

1. Action is good but don\'t overdo it.
    2. There have been many movies that ballanced emotional and action scenes and was still a good film
    3. As long as they remember to not make the transformers LOOK more human like they were trying to do with AOE and TLK, and allow the robots emotions rather than eternally cute or eternally pissed off, then I won\'t mind a humanized transformer.

I\'m worried for the direction of TF6, but I really love the idea of an Optimus Prime/Bumblebee Buddy Cop film.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JoshimusPrime93

JoshimusPrime93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone please fire this guy

• Like Like x 21
  18. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This person needs to go away.

• Like Like x 14
  19. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:

Um what? Taking away the main character’s voice and memory, then having him behave like a pet is not ‘letting us know a transformer better’

• Like Like x 8
  20. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be fair it was a large upgrade to whatever he was in the other 5....

Also a few people seem to be missing the part where he says he wants to keep the character building but add some action. it kinda comes off as just "Booo, mayhem is bad". I mean... if its more action added to a good movie, let it happen.

(Don't take this as me liking the other stuff the guy mentions, I just agree with the idea of what he said here)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1