‘Transformers’ Producer Answers Critics Biggest Problems With ‘Age Of Extinction’

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusJet, Jul 4, 2014.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yeah, I've only watched the movie once, and though I had a hard time hearing Lockdown during his monologue, I pieced together everything that was going on. Though that's us, fans of the genre. We're consumed so much TF lore through cartoons, comics, and games that we could watch the movie on mute for the first time and still understand what's going on...I guess the best analogy that I can come up with is that MB's TFs are like rap music. And with rap there are two types of listeners; those that listen to the words and the boom, and those that only listen to the boom. We listen to the words and the boom, but there are so so many more that only listen to the boom.

I rather agree, I mean, we didn't get an explanation for a human Transformer either. And I'm fine with no explanation, a Transformer is a Transformer to me. Nevertheless, all my friends that watched the movie asked me why they were dinosaurs. They saw the previews and saw Grimlock, then they watched the movie and there was no substance behind their reason for being dinosaurs. Cats, Scorpions, and humans they can accept without an explanation. Those are living things. Giant dinosaurs need a little more convincing, and giant dinosaurs that aren't properly introduced enters the realm of shark jumping.

2. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

"Well what’s interesting about the Dinobots is that we’ve been trying to put them in the first three movies and we could never find a good reason to do it, honestly. The fans were very vocal about wanting it,"

Who are these fans? I think that going back to G1 in these series is stupid because they created a path that did not allow for the G1 elements. I much rather for the Dinobots be replaced by missing Autobots from the previous movie (who didn't get killed off) if they didn't allow for proper explaination of why they all look like dinosaurs.

I also wish they skipped the Cyberforming of the Planet or worked it into The Fallen's plan. I wish Lockdown had a bounty on Optimus, Megatron, Sentinel, and The Fallen, or all Cybertronians. There is a huge disconnect in this movie which is why I'm going to see it one more time to hope that it makes more of a connection with the series.

I think that "Micheal Bay" equation has run it's course; keep the action but have a better story. And cut down the lens flare. I hope the next one will be better.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind the lack of explanation for dinosaur modes IF the movie didn't open up with actual dinosaurs being wiped out by Transformer-related aliens and then later show us metalized T. rex (and Spinosaurus?) in the Arctic of all places.

4. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

It's hard to understand why robots that "theoretically" (I have to listen for their origin) never touch down to Earth would know what a T-rex looked like. Unfortunately Bay -verse never mention their pre-Earth Alt-modes.

Scroponok was a machine that resembles a Scorpion. I never though of it being one. and the legs were used to mount Blackout. The Human transformer was a Pretender so it can disguise as a human. I had no trouble with both of them. Ravage: It's universally accepted by the universe that the cat design is the fastest. :p 

5. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

I know a lot of pretty highly appraised movies that were just ass. Critics don't know how to have fun.

6. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I don't know. All the running and screaming people seemed to be acting appropriately given the situation.

7. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, you mean it was an example of a GREAT mindless summer movie? or a great example of people speaking with their wallets (as Shoot em up was a disastrous bomb despite being one of the most awesome movies ever)

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whenever they mention 'fans' replace it with the word 'consumers' - they introduced the Dinobots because Dinosaurs sell more toys. Its a proven fact amongst toy manufacturers - hence why the Dinobots were introduced in the original series. They've been asked by Hasbro to include the Dinobots in some way since the first movie - however they've only done so now in order to entice more people to see AOE.

I feel this film was intended originally as a reboot, just keeping the same setting. Hence the lack of references to prior things other than a singular event. Think along the lines of The Pokémon movies - on their own they have no connecting continuity - however are considered sequels from the a consistent event, title and cast.

True, but they did that for any other Transformer. We didn't have any of the main cast even after the final battle just stop and go 'You guys were around in Dinosaur times?' or 'A metal T-Rex, that's awesome'

Their was no true acknowledgement of them being any different than regular Transformers and that created a divide in the whole point of having Dinobots.

He's on about a movie having the potential to be a 'ok' mindless summer blockbuster - however ending up being so badly acknowledged that it underperforms.

TF;AOE had potential - however it failed due to the runtime and other factors. If it doesn't earn the $1bn that the studio want then we could even see TF5 being cancelled, especially if this turns out to only gross around $700-800 the same as the first two TF live-action films. Remember the movie cost $210M... so chances are they are wanting to earn more than DOTM. If this had been 90-120 minutes then chances are it would be making a lot more money as it would have been a shit movie - but at the very least it would have been over quickly.

9. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't buy this for one second. There are plenty of directors who are all but guaranteed to draw in audiences (Cameron, Nolan, Spielberg etc.) yet their blockbusters don't always get hammered by critics. By the same token, there are other major film franchises that receive every bit as much scorn from critics as the Transformers franchise does; franchises that have similarly large followings despite negative critical response. Out of curiosity, would you defend the Twilight series with the same vigilance? Surely audiences can't be wrong. Twilight must be an amazing series, just like the Transformers series. I guess critics just don't 'get it'.

The idea that Bay's films are held to some special standard is just an easy way for fans to dismiss any opinion that they disagree with as being anti-Transformers or anti-Bay. I'm sure the same arguments were levied against critics by Twilight fans, Superman fans and pretty much any other fan base when a film based on their favourite franchise doesn't meet with critical approval.

There's nothing wrong with liking AOE, but to suggest that most critics are myopic and so small-minded that they are out to get Michael Bay and Transformers fans is just too far-out in my opinion.

10. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

When people start off a review with "Fuck Michael Bay" or routinely drop lines into their reviews about how Michael Bay is in some way lacking as a human being for the movies he makes I, in turn, have a hard time believing these critics are approaching the film with an unbiased perspective.

Now look, biases will exist. The good critic, however, is the one that's able to say "I had certain expectations. The movie still wasn't all that good, but it did exceed my expectations in some places." That is, objectively, what this movie did by eliminating overly sexual adolescent humour and giving the Transformers themselves time to develop as characters.

I'm not saying a critic has to like AoE. I'm simply asking that, at the very least, they need to give credit where credit is due. Yet many cannot even do that because it's all about taking personal shots at Bay now. Not about actually critically reviewing the film.
    I'm convinced Michael Bay could give us the live action Transformers film we've always wanted and you'd still have people going "same old crap, five movies in!" because at this point people have decided they hate Michael Bay and go into his films with their opinions pre-formed.

That explains why Hasbro's releasing that awesome set of Generations-styled Dinobot updates!

wait....

I have never been caught in the middle of an alien robot civil war, but if I were I think I'd be to overwhelmed to take in the specifics. At least for the moment.
    I mean think about it. Optimus, Drift, and Crosshairs arrive with the Dinobots and join the battle. At what point from that point on would Marky Mark have time to go "yo Optimus, what's with the robot t-rex?" They were all quite busty.

11. Huffington

Huffington Banned

pretty much.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    The fact that a ton of them include "It's a Michael Bay film" in their arguments is clear sign of bias.

You do realize people do view certain people as scapegoats right? LeBron James gets grief for having cramps that would immobilize you and are painful, and people bashed him even though they would be crying in pain. Or they'll say "Jordan played with the flu." Dude gets hell ALL THE TIME, and he's an all time great.

Bay is the director it's acceptable to dislike. Question is, if he's so horrible, why is he the second highest grossing director of all tine?

Superman Returns was panned by viewers and praised by critics. Man of Steel was almost the opposite. Twilight fans don't care. I dislike Twilight because of the glittery vampires , pointless shirtless dudes and vapid romance, but I never say they suck because my girl greatly enjoys them, as do alot of others.

Products that are really bad tend not to survive. Bay has got bashed for most of his films, save maybe TF one and the Rock, yet he must have alot of fans.

Bay has flaws but also tremendous strength and work ethic. Imo, Bryan Singer is as flawed a director as Bay, but none of his movies have ever been panned as Bay. Why? He's made one really good film in his career, the rest average to mediocre, and he barely ever gets ripped like Bay. Sucker Punch by Zack Snyder gets less grief than most Bay films, and it was literally a no plot excuse to show tits and guns.

13. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

This.
    And yes, Singer is a bad director, he made one good movie the last X men.
    While Snyder is visually and story wise an excellent director, but have a tendency to work with crappy scenarios..
    Sucker Punch was a beauty to watch, but damn it was annoying story wise. Almost torturous.
    Btw. Vampires do suck :) 
    For AOE i have almost not read one single critic, that have taken the premise of the movie it self into consideration.
    It is bay hate or tf hate. Or lack of understanding for giant robots bashing each others.

14. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Nah - telling you it's a bay film, tells you most of what you need to know about the movie:

Gratuitous female ass shot early in the movie.......check
    Massive explosions..............check
    Shakey cam...........check
    Slooooooow Moooooooo action........check
    Possible world ending maguffin.........check
    Racial stereotyping..........check

Not that all of this is bad of course......especially number 1 ;) 

15. Moonhawk

Nah - telling you it's a bay film, tells you most of what you need to know about the movie but takes less column inches :D 

Gratuitous female ass shot early in the movie.......check
    Massive explosions..............check
    Shakey cam...........check
    Slooooooow Moooooooo action........check
    Possible world ending maguffin.........check
    Racial stereotyping..........check

Not that all of this is bad of course......especially number 1 ;) 

16. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yes.

17. Yubarules77

Yubarules77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

18. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Let me be clear; I never said Michael Bay was horrible or incompetent. He simply isn't interested in making a film that is well-received by critics. The idea that critics are out to get him is just nonsense.

Michael Bay's films are unapologetically brazen and have always been incredibly divisive. Millions of people love or hate his work. There don't seem to be many people sitting on the fence when it comes to a Michael Bay film. This is probably why critics are quick to describe a movie as being a Michael Bay project.

What fans seem to be unable to accept is that critics don't like Bay's films, not because they are popular but because most critics find his work devoid of any real substance. It's not Bay himself; it's the type of movie he produces. Mind you, if popularity is the sole measure of artistic merit than Bay is undoubtedly a genius.

Look at it this way; there has always been a divide between mass appeal and critical acclaim. McDonalds is always going to be more popular than a highly ranked fine dining establishment yet nobody is jumping up and down when somebody suggests that McDonalds is simply junk food. Having said that, , there are times when a movie is recognized for having mass appeal yet it is also appreciated as being well-constructed as a film. Spielberg has had tremendous success walking this line. As for Bay; I don't think he could care less about what critics think. Michael Bay is a lot like Nickelback; despised by critics yet loved (and hated) by millions of consumers.

As for Snyder; Sucker Punch was absolutely panned. Critics hated it and ripped him for it. Heck, his work is almost as divisive as Michael Bay's.

19. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    This (and your last post) should be required reading at the top of the thread.

20. Moonhawk

The McDonalds analogy is probably one of the best I have heard.

Michael Bay movies are the Hollywood equivalent of a Big Mac, large fries and a Coke (or in the interests of product placement - should that be a Whopper, fries and a Mountain Dew).