‘Transformers’ Producer Answers Critics Biggest Problems With ‘Age Of Extinction’

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusJet, Jul 4, 2014.

1. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

People say "bayformers" is dragging on.... But it's nothing like the Resident Evil franchise!! After the second film it went bizarre. Seriously, I've lost track with that series.

2. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Have you seen the most recent one? It's actually pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. I was legitimately surprised.

3. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

From the many reviews I've read, the most critics simply did not like this film. Yes, there are a few critics who seem to target Bay as a filmmaker but that's hardly represents the majority.

Honestly, this same argument has popped up with every Transformers movie we've had and will probably pop up again with Transformers 5. The Transformers franchise has always been highly divisive as many people don't like the film while others are dedicated fans. It certainly isn't the only film that creates this sort of divide. I'm just tired of the argument that if somebody dislikes something they automatically didn't get it or that they are a hater. This notion that all critics are snobs and therefore they hate everything Bay does has been argued to death.

There are a number of movies that I really like that were absolutely panned by critics or viewers. On the fip side, there are countless movies that are adored by critics and viewers that I can't stand. In both situations I can respect the fact that I don't see eye to eye with critics or viewers. Heck, I remember having many of these same discussions about Man of Steel last year.

4. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Nah, I stopped after the 4th film. How many films are there?

5. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    You and I aren't reading the same reviews then.

If you have yet to see this, I recommend you watch it: Leave Michael Bay Alone | The Big Picture Video Gallery | The Escapist

6. Sentinel Prime

Sentinel Prime Traitor to the cause

^
    This.

At the risk of drawing the ire of these boards I like to call those people "The vocal minority." I say that because clearly tons of people have gone to see these films are happy with them just they way they are. I enjoy the hell out of them. Giant transforming robots fighting. I know exactly what I'm getting when I buy my tickets and I get exactly what I want when I see them.

Don't get me wrong, if folks have issues with a film they are most certainly encouraged to express their displeasure with said movies, but frankly it's gotten to the point where it's become excess for excess sake. Its the "in" thing to do nowadays.

Case in point: I work at a job that has a very large amount of people, very diverse. I'm no statistics guru by any means but roughly 90% enjoy these movies thoroughly. Some are Transformers fans, others are essentially wanting to see something cool and exciting. Among those fans there were 3 (myself included) you could consider "hardcore" fans. 1 friend was indifferent to the new style, myself, who enjoys just about everything about the Transformers franchise, and the 3rd, who says "I hate the movies" and his only reason? "They're supposed to look like the original cartoon."

I'm not saying that that is everyone's reason for not liking the Bay films. But that last quote is the one I've run into more often than not. Right when Age of Extinction was announced a thread had already developed casting negative remarks about a film that had just barely started production. I commented, and I may have brought the, how should I put it...indignant? self righteous perhaps, replies on myself, but I had stated that why does everyone always have to complain about the films? Can't we just wait until it comes out and until then just enjoy the ride? At that point I essentially got ganged up on being told that it was their right to complain about the films. They were very unhappy with the previous 3 movies and claiming the next one will suck for sure. Personally I don't think you can honestly predict that, but I'm sure that group was feeling vindicated even though it seemed pretty clear to me that they were set in their minds that they would hate AoE no matter what.

Long story short, It seems to me that no matter how bad, or mediocre, or how good these films are, the core fan base for Transformers will never be completely satisfied.

I reiterate, these are just my thoughts and opinions. It is not my intention to insult, debate, anger/annoy anyone or to start a flame war.

I shall now see myself out the door of this thread, leave some false trails in an attempt to not get caught, placed in a burlap sack, and get beaten with reeds for my insolence.

SP4H

7. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    5,with the 6th on the way next year

8. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    I can definitely agree with that.

I was on these boards during the runs of Transformers: Animated and Transformers: Prime. So much negativity and griping, and they're arguably the strongest television entries in the franchise to date.

That's what you get, when your franchise constantly keeps trying to change its identity, though, I guess. You get a huge divide between fans on what actually makes Transformers good.

The Sonic fanbase immediately comes to mind.

9. Sentinel Prime

Sentinel Prime Traitor to the cause

Could not agree more.

SP4H

10. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so you will not acknowledge transformers having any dialogue or character, even if they talk to each other, until all humans are eliminated? What's the point in it being live-action?

11. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Then why don't the writer and director try and prove him wrong, work towards making the Transformers actual real characters and changing peoples attitudes. It's not impossible to write a decent character, even for a cartoon or CGI person/robot/monkey etc.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The problem for Age of Extinction is that it's not going to be compared to just Revenge of the Fallen. Transformers gets compared to all the other action films this year.

While X-Men found an okay solution to fix some of it's problems as a film franchise and an American Godzilla film found a way to make people forget about the first American attempt, Transformers stuck too close to it's formula for a lot of people.

It's not enough to just be better than another film in your series you've got to also be better than last year's films and the other films so far in the year.

13. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    Sticking too closely to a formula does not equate to an awful film, though. Just a familiar one.

Also, there again comes the issue of Amazing Spider-Man 2. I thought that movie was cringe-worthy, and came no where close to competing superhero flicks (which, I'd say, is actually a fair standard to judge it by), and it wasn't absolutely panned.

14. Apocalyptic PhD

Apocalyptic PhD Adamite

The high-light climax of this thread is when a Bay-Fan and a Bay-Hater starts throwing TL DR's at each-other with somewhat rational points. It becomes a near flame-war.

15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    Good lord is this guy ever out of touch. The critics see this for what it is...a hallow stupid action movie.

The problem is, stupid hollow action movies can still be FUN for their target audience. And this movie is not that. Because the other group he's not accounting for are FANS OF TRANSFORMERS.

I honestly don't know if I'm willing to give this franchise another chance at the theaters. I didn't enjoy the 4th one because I sat with my head in my hand waiting for the robots to do anything of value and rolled my eyes in disgust when the Dinobots come from nowhere and return to it just as quickly.

If this is the mindset of the person in charge of this franchises movies, it's no wonder this is the direction its gone.

16. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm just curious why Lorenzo seems to care more about fighting the tide of critical slams on this film than any of the others in this franchise? Perhaps because he's just fed up? Ultimately audiences vote (and have voted) with their wallets. Trying to convince critics- people paid to be critical of everything they write about- that Transformers is a worthwhile enterprise is an exercise in futility. The people and their wallets have spoken, so ultimately screw the critics. Whether these critics understand the franchise or the type of films these strive to be is completely beside the point.

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice response. Basically saying "well the critics are stupid". I haven't seen this movie yet, but he sounds really defensive

18. Huffington

Huffington Banned

Interesting to see the box office tank. The shine is wearing off.

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

You're taking my argument for a completely different subject and twisting it. Before I was pointing out that the humans have just as much screen time and plotlines as the previous movies. While there is more focus on the robots too, it's pretty much entirely in the context of having the human factor still there and extended actions sequences. The only scenes that I can think where it's singularly a robot presence is Prime confronting the Dinobots and Lockdown's plot breakdown to Prime. Everything else, the human presence/plotlines is always there.

I acknowledge the characterization, superficial as it may be (Prime being an exception), nor I don't want humans completely eliminated either. But I'm really hard-pressed to find scenes in the movie not in the context of human interactions. Honestly though, I'm a big proponent of having the franchise in computer-animated territory. I think it would be a litmus test to gauge just how much a general audience really like Transformers.

20. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think Lorenzo is showing his true colors. Its not about the movies its about defending Bay.

Honestly the thing that started to rub the critics the wrong way is Michael Bay only makes one type of movie every friggin time and its just sad he has done so well.

It really started with Pearl Harbor ( Michael Bay movie) which was also protested by vets because it had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor except to use a historical time to cash in money.

I laugh a little because as a transformers fan since its initial launch in 85 these movies hold almost no resemblance to the characters and the pretty decent stories that have been told through out its lore. These are just the same characters that Michael bay puts in every movie and he just swaps names and roles around and the story line is almost completely absent. If you are a critic and have watched a ton of Michael bay films to this point including tf1 -3 you are probably going " oh not again!".

Look if you are into only cool visual affects and hours of nonsensical story just to setup a camera trick, CGI visuals or fairly ok jokes that's NOT A BAD thing. However do not tell me this is a movie with a good story that would make any transformers fan happy. What the dinobots turned out to be was very VERY LAME n cliche. They also only looked good in Dino mode but the robot forms were just more Bay throwing spikes on things with 0 CHARACTERIZATION. That's why the critics and my self have an issue with this series of movies. Prior to 2007 I had so much more hope for this franchise. With every movie it dwindles faster and faster cause you get used to not getting what you want to see in these flicks.

Lorenzo is only protecting his investment and his job he doesn't mean a single word of that PR garbage. Other wise we probably wouldn't hear a thing.