‘Transformers’ Producer Answers Critics Biggest Problems With ‘Age Of Extinction’

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusJet, Jul 4, 2014.

1. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    Its not a sig, I was showing you your own quote.

You are the one making the claim you have to support your claim. I haven;t read every review of AoE, but the ones I have read do not do what you are talking about. So I am asking you to show me one.

2. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Ok.

3. TrailbreakerADK

TrailbreakerADK Defense Strategist

4. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Ok, then. Try this gem of a "movie review" on for size: “Transformers”: Robot warriors of the Tea Party attack - Salon.com

5. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
  6. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    Not sure if you're laughing at me, or at how bad that review was...?

He spent most of it taking cheap jabs at Bay, whining that he had some sort of ulterior political agenda with both this and the previous movies, complaining about Republicans, and making half-baked, negative comparisons to other movies.

On top of that, I don't think he really knows anything about Transformers at all.

Also, you didn't address my previous question: Do you honestly believe that people who enjoy these movies are doing a disservice to Transfomers?

7. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

On the flip side, why is it that anybody who dislikes AOE is assumed to be a 'hater' or anti-Bay? It's not as if critics across America suddenly banded together to attack Michael Bay in a vitriolic and venomous rage. This entire thread has been a rage contest between fans who are accusing the media of being biased or ignorant and so-called haters who feel that much of the negative criticism received by AOE is well warranted. Why does disliking something always make you a hater? I remember many Superman fans lashing out in the same way when Man of Steel wasn't universally loved.

Why can't I find fault in a film series without people assuming "I'm a hater" or that "I'm anti-Bay"? It's ridiculous.

8. GrantB

GrantB Pic so old

News Credits:
  9. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I am laughing at you. He is not whining, he is saying how Bay's politics directly influence his movie making.

I think he is giving Bay too much credit actually. From all that I have seen in the movies, Bay cares more about zooming in on girls and zooming in on cars and metal.

10. GrantB

GrantB Pic so old

News Credits:
    From the article:
    Pfft. Good luck with that.

Which movies are he talking about? The "funny" parts of Bayformers are by far the most insufferable.

-

11. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

I'm all for a fun action flick. But I at lease expect it to make some sense as to what is going on. There was just too many issues with the story telling that it was a destraction through out.

This arguement is not valid.

12. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Very funny dude. But I put quotation marks for hater because thats what people normally call them! Like I said, I don't care if you don't like "bayformers", just don't bring it to me.

On the side note- I like man of steel too and I'm a superman fan. (oh no, now I'm hated by the extreme superman fans).

13. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    You say that... but, their behavior is indicating otherwise.

You can. But, a lot of the people on these threads behave irrationally and over-exaggerate, just to get their point across (which, ironically, has the opposite effect). People who dislike these movies loudly attack them and ignore their merits, and then the people who love them, defend them by glossing over flaws and labeling the attackers (and all other dissenters) as 'haters'.

Both sides are wrong, and everyone needs to just chill the hell out, all agree that these movies could stand to be a lot better than what they are, but realize that they are also filled with many entertaining elements that may be more important to some than the flawed parts. Like anything else, it's a matter of preference.

'Good' and 'bad' movies aren't determined by critics, or the box office, but by each individual person. Movies speak to all of us differently. It's all subjective art, at the end of the day.

14. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:

But subjective is not the crux of the discussion. In all of art there are objective criteria, and the best critics are able to look at films objectively and determine their quality.

Even Bonaventura understands this:

"There's a combination of factors" said Mr. Bonaventura. "Number one, critics do not understand this kind of movie. They just don’t understand, they don’t get why people like this kind of movie. They’re evaluating a movie like this, that is meant for mass entertainment on a really epic scale, as though it’s a 1970’s Martin Scorsese movie."

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Like I said, I get where you were going with it. But you have to warp the scene so much to fit your view of "realism", then you're losing the point and the audience you're trying to convince. You say in reality they could just drop a nuke. In the movie they clearly had shields that prevented them from doing that-that also brings up the point that nuke did exist in their fiction til later- You say in reality a young and fit Luke should have easily beaten the Emperor, but in that scene Luke chooses to not go down the path of the darkside by rejecting violence. He chooses to sacrifice himself to prove to his father that there is a better way. These have no "realism" to apply to them, and warping them only distracts from the argument. Now if you had picked apart the battle of Hoth, that would have been a better example lol.

Best Movie called Ass - YouTube

The action was very similar at the end, but at least it was just focused a the end. I LOVE the TF action, I just feel like it's too much of a good thing. You get lost in it, and it's so overly long and complicated that even the best scenes start to wear you out. That first chase sequence, when they got to model boy's training course, and he did that little ramp jump. I mean, c'mon, that was just way over the top.

EH, but you're trying to compare main characters to secondary characters. And it's not that they're nothing truly original, it's that there isn't any substance to them. Hound is old war bot. Crosshairs is that bad attitude soldier? BB is suppose to be a teenager bot? And them interacting with each other does little to develop this. They're interacting, yes, and that's great, but it has to be more than just surface paint.

And I don't see crosshairs has growing, that respect was always there. He's the typical, bat attitude but loyal soldier. LIkewise, Drift is your typical honor bound samurai. Still a tin soldier, just uses a different language.

Is it the fact that they're dying and we care for them, or the fact that they're simply good guys and we know that the deaths hare going to be horrific? I care noting for not-Wheeljack, but the brutality of the death is so much, that I cringe every time I see that scene.

See you're doing it again. You leave out the part where Prime comes back and wins the day destroys the macguffin. Though Megatron eascapes like Starscream did in the first film, everything is great.

Well yeah, in comparison to something like Luke's quest, they were absolutely not done well.

Troof.

It was a nice scene, but where's the world building? Where is there in these films that is anything other than "Oh the next macguffin must be found/stopped" "You betrayed me how dare you" "We are strangers on your world...we hate you we must leave!"

And it sounds like I'm being overly critical, cause I am. If we want the TF to ever be considered more. If we ever want those precious positive reviews we so cherish. The portrayal of the robots has to be just that much better. They have to work that much harder than ANY human portrayal on screen.

And definitely agree about the car voice.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think part of the reason Transformers 4 gets singled out is because it's become the new poster movie for the frustration people feel at Hollywood going to the well too many times.

At one point Pirates 4 was the film to take the frustration out on. Pirates wasn't exactly the best film series in the world but it seemed like the third film wrapped things up nicely enough and now the studio could do something else. But nope just had to go back and make a 4th film even though people were not demanding a 4th film.

Even with The Hobbit people honestly wondered why we needed The Hobbit told in the style of Lord of the Rings when we already had 3 Lord of the Rings films.

In ye olde days of Hollywood if you didn't like something you could depend on that series being done after 3 films. If it was the rare series that did go on and on then you could expect a new actor to play James Bond and when they changed actors the films would change as well.

But Transformers combines endless franchise with production line like film making to crank one out every 2 to 3 years with no real change in tone or style because they refuse to change directors.

17. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    No, it isn't. The crux of the discussion is whether or not critics are fairly evaluating this movie (or, at least, it was, until it devolved into a shoving contest between fans and detractors of these movies, as most movie forum discussions do...). Which, as I've continued to say, they aren't.

The movie's got a lower percentage on RT than Revenge of the Fallen. I think almost everyone here can agree that this movie was, at the very least, way better than that movie.

18. GrantB

GrantB Pic so old

News Credits:
    Just because many people agree on something does not mean it's a conspiracy. (See also: climate scientists)

19. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay Hate exists because every other medium of Transformers has better plot than the live action movies, except season 1 and season 2 of G1 (those don't hold up anymore- but its been like 20 yrs). Infact I would go so far as to say that the Bay movies encapsulate the essence of G1 silliness, while excluding its magic that we older fans remember. The random new characters, the improbable human situations, the new mcguffins. Bay misses entirely some of the bigger points. Optimus is the epitome of righteousness, justice and compassion. The 4rth movie is getting better, but by this rate we'll have a decent movie by Transformers 6.

20. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    It's not the 'agreeing' part that's the problem. It's all of the consistent personal jabs and attacks leveled at the director that's raising red flags.

"Bay-Hate" existed long before he started making the Transformers movies, my man.