‘Transformers’ Producer Answers Critics Biggest Problems With ‘Age Of Extinction’

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusJet, Jul 4, 2014.

1. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering completist, recently fell off the wagon

I was kidding. If I could go back I wouldn't have done it. I was the most intelligent one in the bunch, at least in mine, that's why they made me Pres. So they could act like idiots and I could take care of them. Didn't even drink at the time as odd as that may seem. I wasn't offended at all. This is my fraternity. Lol

2. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just found me a sig quote

3. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    LMFAO! I damn near fell out my seat.

That's one of the best descriptions of Bay I've ever heard. Because watching a gorilla do origami would be entertaining, but definitely cringe worthy.

There's nothing wrong with liking it because Del Toro is a more well rounded director and geek. I agree I would like someone that is a geek to do Transformers, someone who has a passion for it. I think Bay has developed that passion, thus the fan nods, but he wasn't a fan coming in. I know he used to direct car ads, and he always shot car chases well. But I agree the story telling aspect is something he struggles with, he uses action to tell the story but he's not nuanced enough to get the finer points. Like Optimus fighting style should be more elegant and less brutal.

I am easily entertained by the mindless escapism and big robot fights, and I understand why Spielberg hand picked him. I thought maybe he would step his game up, but he makes his films with the TFs in them.

They're entertaining, that's it. We probably actually have the same opinion overall. I look for the good in things more often, so when I saw improvements in AOE, (after enjoying, but being disappointed with Optimus portrayal in ROTF and DOTM), that he fixed Prime overall. Giving him a non pushover villain helped a lot.

Well said.

4. blaine71274

The predominant plot in Avatar was a metaphor for invasion of civilization for riches. Think Native Americans, Pocahontas, which is basically the story. Any civilization overthrown by superior firepower. the twin thing to me was about accepting and adapting. But that's just me. It was an old plot taken from history. Dances with wolves....soldier learns to become a native and speak the language. Thanks for your comment by the way, we all need to relax and enjoy life.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Yeah. I enjoyed it, but when my friends went in on it (mostly the writing) it left me as blank as they are when I'm talking about how Optimus would never not have at least seen if Megatron could be granted a truce.

Lazy writing or basic sci fi theme? IDK.

Yeah, the whole imperialism thing. Ferngully, Pocohantas and Dances with Wolves. I just hated it got high praise, when it was Cameron ripping off all of those, and the fact it took over a decade to make? That makes it even less impressive.

6. blaine71274

And what brings this all to a head. In Iron Man, he crashes through cement parking garage and crushes a car when turn his thrusters off, but he can sit on a fiberglass doughnut and sit in a booth in Ironman 2? Takes Tony forever to master the suit, but Obediah (sp) gets it in one shot? See you can't go into these things thinking too much. Just ruins it. Just enjoy. And don't try it at home....ever.

7. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

I'm a tf fan, but I didn't really like it. Too much acting, not enough dinobots.

8. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    AOE was a step in the right direction but too ages to get there.

Still too long though. I've got to believe a 100 minute TF movie would be great as Bay loses focus the more a movie goes on for.

9. blaine71274

I hear you. It was the easiest and most adaptable plot to use. And yes, last film OP should have spared Megs. But I think they were going the Dark Knight route. OP stops giving a shit. Like evil Superman. Hell, OP may come back as Nemesis Prime in the next one. Anti-villain. He'll have to be more badass than Galvatron. Also a common plot. Black suit spiderman, Return of the Jedi Luke.

10. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention the sudden death he would have had happen when he slammed into the concrete before he had the whole armor on.

To be a little fair Obediah did have a team of military engineers that could have used preexisting controls for the suit, Stark didn't make everything at the company, god knows what other secret projects he had running.

Spinal injuries, basal skull fractures and massive brain trauma are the biggest thing in movies that you have to suspend disbelief, nearly every action movie has characters being slammed against things, every human in the transformers movies and many others would have died several times over due to those type of injuries.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Does Star Wars even have nukes? I mean, I get your point, but that's a horrible example where you're completely warping the point of that scene to fit your argument.

I agree with that, though just because it is a good film doesn't mean it's a film of quality. Taco Bell feeds the happy masses, but it's not well made food...unless it's Demolition Man Taco Bell. Rat burger anyone?

Live by the snark. Die by the snark, playa. That's the only way to role in the TF movie forum.

Look I'm certainly not a critic lover, not am I movie hater. I like to think that I bring a fair and balanced (crap, I just had to use a FOX news tagline) view of what these movies offer. Nevertheless, I think the critic bashing go WAY overboard this time of year and come next March when TFs loses yet again in the Oscar FX category. It's silly, cause once the hype goes down, mums the word on critics -and I never see anyone ever railing against music or food critics, so that's just critic bashing discrimination. Next movie comes along, and it's deer season 2017.

I get it, we all love the franchise and want to see it succeed. Well, it's succeeding, just not everyone is happy to share in the success. Fuck em, I say. Enjoy the movies. Talk about them, have fun in the forum talking about insane theories, pros and cons of the movies, and enjoy the flicks for what they are. It's what I do, hell, in my entire lifetime, I can count on my two hands the number of reviews that I've watched and read for any film. And the only reason I've even seen/read those is because they were posted in these threads over the years.

Fuck, I don't even know what to consider a "critic" these days. I mean, any asshole with a camcorder can post a review on youtube. Any lady of the night with a laptop can create a blog that reviews movies. Where do we draw that imaginary cutoff point where average steve-dave-bob whom is throwing his unprofessional commentary onto the web suddenly becomes this evil boogeyman out to ruin the career of Michael Bay. Is it someone like Nostalgia Critic or girl or whatever the latest youtube critic of the month is, I'm sure they get paid something for making so many good awful video. I dunno, maybe after two weeks I'm already burnt out by this forum. The movie forum is like the crack of tfw2005.

We just don't the need to be so defensive over every negative word, and we don't need to go out of way to come up with this outlandish conspiracies and theories in a futile attempt to discredit critics. And I say this as fan of Freddy Got Fingered. Which Ebert had to say about it,

“This movie doesn’t scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn’t the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn’t below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.”

Ebert was right...and now I need to ask my daddy if he would like some sausage.

I can agree with that, but here's the thing. The visuals may be on par, but the experience wasn't. Avatar immersed you into that world. AOE was just a bunch of shit blowing up and metal robots fighting each other. "That may be my opinion, but objectively, it's also true.That may be my opinion, but objectively, it's also true."

Debate. Lockdown was mysterious bounty hunter. He was no more compelling than "angry Army Man." Optimus Prime's tin soldiers? There entire depth was made up of one-liners. Sorry, those aren't characters. They're your usual military squad group, nothing more nothing less. They fucking fun to watch though, but who really gave if what happened to any of them besides Prime? Maybe Bumblebee, but that radio shit is annoying as all hell after three movies.

Cheese on a cracker. It makes me think about your ability to properly compare movies. Alien was a sci-fi horror film. Aliens was a sci-fi action film. They're each trying to accomplish two very story-telling narratives.

Oh and Alien Resurrection was best out of them all. I got it notarized objective fact, son.

[​IMG]

12. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

ha, awesome. Yeah I look for the positive too. It's hard to face all the bad choices he makes - but I do like stuff in this film. For me it's 1 then 4. 2 and 3 both have lots of misses. Optimus was better here, but he's still such a psycho. It's almost unintentionally entertaining...

I want to love these films, believe me :) 

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Hm, I never thought of guys on Youtube as critics, just guys who get a time slot on tv

14. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I stopped paying attention to critic reviews for AOE when I realized that most of the ones I read were actually critiquing Michael Bay himself rather than the movie. Do those people understand that I don't have an opinion about Michael Bay and that I don't care that they hate Michael Bay so much that they wrote a movie review about Michael Bay instead of the movie?

15. smkspy

He's as much a personality as the movie itself. EVERY movie that he will ever do is going to be review liked that. Just like every Rob Liefeld comic book is looked over more at his weird art, than the narrative of the comic book.

I'm currently looking at some of the AoE critic reviews off of RT, and I'm having a hard time calling many of them "critics." I'm reading one on some website called "Salon." SMH.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/28/transformers_robot_warriors_of_the_tea_party_attack/

Who can really take this seriously enough to get mad at it?

16. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah like Transformers - The hunt for the AllSpark, Transformers 2 - The hunt for the Matrix and Star Harvester, Transformers 3 - The hunt for the Pillars, and now Transformers 4 - The hunt for the Seed weren't macguffins hunts.

17. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

So? What about the people who don't follow X because of person Y? Just because Y has a cult of personality doesn't mean whenever you review X it is about Y.

18. smkspy

I still say that the next Macguffin should be called the Transguffin.

When Y person stops associating with X everything will go back to normal. Y overpowers X, and Y will do so whenever he moves onto W. The problem with Y people is that they have to put their stamp onto whatever they touch, and that makes the stamp a more interesting subject than the product itself.

19. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

1 and 2 were MacGuffin hunts, but three was in no way one. At first it looks like it'll be one, but never do the characters go out looking for the Pillars. Turns out, the Cons have them all. The closest thing to a hunt for them is Bumblebee running over and tackling one. Not much for a hunt.

The fourth one was nowhere near the level of hunt 1 and 2 were. They knew where it was, and it ran alongside the other major plot of Lockdown wanting to capture Optimus for the Creators.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know if Star Wars is really a good comparison to Transformers because at least Star Wars attempted to do something different each film.

First movie a farm boy longs for something more out of life and a message from a princess gets him into a grand destiny he didn't expect. Like King Arther the hero job even comes with a really cool sword. They wrangle a shady character and his fuzzy friend into helping them, and before you know it farm boy is saving the princess and blowing up the bad guys newest weapon system.

Second movie the rebels get their butts handed to them with Luke ending up with one less hand to hold his butt with. Han gets captured and over all they are lucky to still have a rebel force by the end of the film.

So third film Luke has to save his friends before he can face the big bad the series has been leading up to. While everyone is saying kick Vader's ass Luke already knows he's not beating him in a sword fight. So instead of the worn out hero finds a way to physically beat the better fighter Luke does something different and finds what's left of a hero in the bad guy.

Then Star Wars took a nice long break from the movie theaters instead of running it until they had ran it into the ground.

With Transformers though it's been bad guys show up needing a McGuffin that will end or alter life on Earth forever. In a few more years we get part 5 another quest for another McGuffin and more Decepticons to kill off. A few years after part 5 part 6 will be the quest for yet another McGuffin and scrapping around the barrel for Decepticons they haven't killed off yet.