‘Daredevil’s Steven DeKnight Rounds Out ‘Transformers’ Writers Room

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by pie125, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Yeah, I'll be impressed if this whole big "writer's circle" Paramount has assembled doesn't collapse on itself before TF5 actually begins shooting. For all anybody knows, Bay could end up back in the director's chair, take one look at what the 'Writers' Room' has been up to and say "WTF?!?", and decide to toss it all out and hire Krueger on again - and the sad part of that is, Paramount will probably let him do exactly that.

2. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

OMG, that has a good chance of happening.

Studio executives aren't that bright.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yup. Thats why I'm not buying into any of it. Show me the money.

4. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    Very true, but I don't really think bay would do that. However that is entirely possible and would be EXTREMELY unfortunate.

5. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

It's going to be darker now.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dammit that would suck.

7. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

Cool, maybe Bee will go the blind ninja route

8. Theoutcast87

Theoutcast87 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay isn't that dumb..

I don't think Bay is that stupid. And Paramount are aware that the last TF movie didn't do vell domestically as they expected..

9. Jochimus

It's not so much a question of his intelligence as it is his tastes and abilities. He's not gonna want to back a script that's outside his comfort zone. And I don't see Paramount being THAT willing to alienate him after giving them four movies worth of da moolah.

10. Theoutcast87

News Credits:
    We don't know yet.

We don't know that yet. People can change their mind. And who knows? Perhaps Bay is so tired of Transformers that he won't come back at all.

Also, don't you think PP is awared about Bat's stubborness? Don't think they hired 10 writers when they know it won't work with Bay. It's not logical at all.

11. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, Bay getting rid of all the writers on a whim is completely ridiculous.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think part of the problem will be that writers are at the dead bottom of the Hollywood ladder. They could come with something so brilliant that fans of every type would have tears of joy in their eyes but Hasbro, Paramount executives, the producers, or the director could say nope and that idea would never make it to film. It's possible a script could be shot down for being too cerebral, not being summer popcorn actiony enough, or because it might not sell well in China.

But even if it gets past everyone that can possibly shot down a script you have the question of can the production team translate the script into a motion picture? Some production teams and directors just aren't good story tellers.

13. Jochimus

Not to mention the possibility of the shooting script being mauled DURING shooting; or post-production, wherein things can also get taken out. That's not unheard of either. You can have a quote-unquote "final" draft script be the one that's put before the camera, and STILL have the finished movie having only the barest resemblance to it.

14. Theoutcast87

News Credits:
    We'll see

Agree on what you say. But we'll see who got the bigger balls to deviate from Bay's work. And if TF5 continues with the same disaster formula before, than I think it will flop in the box office. Maybe that's the only way to get rid of Bay. So any robot movies coming out in 2017, bring it on.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

That's very true. That's one of the reasons I was glad Netflix decided to go with the director's cut of Nightbreed instead of the ending the studio put on the movie.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    So true.

17. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Let's not forget though that this pool of writers have been brought together to create a universe much like Marvel have done, DC are trying to do and Star Wars is doing again.

To shun the writers is to immediately put a roadblock in the ambition to create a universe.

The TFCU should aim for the sweetspot that Marvel have hit equal parts action, cerebral, character rich and comedic. Jurassic World is in that same sweet spot which is why it is being received so well.

18. Duskscream

Duskscream Well-Known Member

This is all so pointless, they can shove every good writer in the world into that room and it will just make it harder to get a good script.

At the end of the day, egos will clash, ideas will be dropped, Bay will change things, the scripts will end up messier than before.

19. Jochimus

Pretty much, yeah.

This is essentially a variation of writing-by-committee, which is frowned upon by many writers in Hollywood and has been for a long time, usually because it ends up becoming a real pain in the ^$$ - and it usually happens when studio executives try to "involve" themselves beyond their own creative capacity (the development of what became "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", as well as the twisted and tortured road from "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace" to "Superman Returns", are good examples of this).

Once Bay comes back in (because I'll be stunned if he doesn't), and brings in his own writer (which I'm pretty sure will probably be Krueger again), I suspect we'll have another script that bears little if any resemblance to what this quote-unquote "writer's room" came up with, and it'll just be more of the same of what you got the last four times.

20. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You people act like Bay has supreme power over Paramount. He doesn't.