Virginia Tech Shooting (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drippy, Apr 16, 2007.

1. soundblastc44

soundblastc44 CAPS MASTER...OH YEAH

SO ANYWAY....I still think that the media did have an affect on the induvidual...this could of course alsobe caused by MENTAL/EMOTIONAL TRAUMA or ******ation...but sadly we may never know.

2. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

This never would have happened in the 50s.

3. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I blame violence in the media. :redface2: 

4. soundblastc44

hahaha REAL funny drips....NOT

but your right it probably wouldent havs.

5. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I'm incredibly sorry to hear about the shootings. My prayers and thoughts go with them all...

6. DWN013

DWN013 Holy crap in a pita!

I meant, he deserves a fate worse than death. You're right about the insanity thing though, and really I know its better that he's dead.

7. soundblastc44

....:redface2: 

i guess its true immaturaty has no age limit.

8. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

At last I heard they had no idea who the gunman was as he had no ID on him. Has this changed? Do they know anything more about him?

9. soundblastc44

ANYWAY,,.. I HOPE the families will be able to get through these tough times...they shall be in my prayrs and my thoughts....we can only hope other colleges will learn from this tragic event to assure future studrnts safty

[GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK]

10. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    He is right. Back then, there was more discipline and less tolerance for crap. Just listening to the stories of my Dad from when he was my age shows a tremendous difference. Like how back in Catholic school, Nuns could wrap unruly kids on their knuckles with a ruler. Today that would be seen as child abuse.

Heck 2 weeks ago, my Eastern Cinema teacher told us of how when he was a kid growing up in Korea, his teachers could rightfully beat the kids if they acted up or were flunking. He then added that since the 80's such punishment in schools has been outlawed. Today in South Korea kids are free of this old time discipline.

My parents never lad a finger on me (except for the occasional spanking when i was an evil little pre-schooler).
    My mother would instead hide things on me as punishment.
    One time I couldn't find my Beast Wars Dinobot (that I had just bought at ToysRUs) for an entire week! I was so upset! But the experience and the realization of my actions and their consequences taught me not to swear.
    Made damn well sure I'd never say the f word again.

Back on topic, my prayers go out to everyone affected by this event. I hope tremendously that all of you and your loved ones are well.

11. Omnibus Prime

Seems to be taking an awfully long time (for today's media enironment) for the name to be released when the alleged gunman has supposedly been confirmed dead. You'd think they'd have his high school yearbook pic plastered everywhere by now and be knocking on his parents' door.

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmm. Shooter appears to have been an Asian man.

13. Omnibus Prime

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/us/16cnd-shooting.html?bl&ex=1176868800&en=a84a2d9cef4524e5&ei=5087%0A

Uh..well then...guess that explains the ID delay.

14. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Shit. I've just seen this on TV and on the Internet. my condolences go to all who've lost friends and family here. :(  This is definitely one of the most fucked up events that have happened in my lifetime. I'm glad that gunman's dead. He shouldn't do any more harm to innocent victims.

Oh boy. Something tells me every kid that's not Asian in my school's gonna single out the Asian students tomorrow...

15. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    But if he had lived he could probably better answer everyone's questions. My heart goes out to anyone affected by this horrific tragedy.

16. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

33 dead. The Worst Mass Shooting in American History. Wow.

Agreed & Same here.

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I honestly don't see why they would. The gunman could've easily been from any race. To single out every Asian person, me included, would do nothing.

CNN hasn't announced it yet about the gunman being Asian. It was from reports of students who claim to have seen the gunman.

If it is an Asian man, a lot of pieces in today's events fit, in my personal opinion, as to why this happened. I'm still unsure about why he started in the dorms, but everything else makes more sense.

'Course this is all based on my own views of the situation and is definitely not fact.

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope that record isn't broken in my lifetime at least. :( 

19. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

People have been killing each other since the dawn of time. The only thing that has changed are the methods they go about it. If someone is motivated to kill someone, they're going to find a way to do it.

One might argue that the media is guilty of hyping and exploiting tragedies like this, but then again - why would they continue to discuss stories and print article and photos and gory details unless their audience was devouring it up?

Humans have an inherent love for violence and suffering. It could even be why the "bad news" articles posted here by drippy and Hot Rodimus get 70 replies, and the "good news" stories are on page 2 quicker than a locked cybertron2006 thread.

At this point, you can't really blame anyone other than the man who pulled the trigger. You don't understand his motives, you don't know what happened. None of us do, and we may never know the full story. People will point fingers because that's the easy thing to do, and it makes it easier to accept the idea of someone doing this in the first place. But don't blame the media when 1) you really don't know anything about the situation, nor do the rest of us, and 2) you're sitting there watching the "glorifying, exploiting" media just like everyone else.

20. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I've seen this in a couple of places and it's finally being mentioned on CNN. Not sure what to make of this.