Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Interview With High Moon's Matt Tieger about the Dinobots

Posted on 04-25-2012 at 12:45 AM by ORIO under Video Games
Dinobot1
Theverge.com has posted an interview with High Moon Studio's Matt Tieger for the upcoming video game, Fall of Cybertron. The article is centered around the Dinobots and goes into lengthy detail about how the Dinobots were added to the game and how they almost didn't make it past the games planning stages. The question on how the Dinobots are on planet Cybertron in Fall of Cybertron with Dinosaur alternate modes has been revealed for sometime, but the article does a great job going into depth regarding the steps High Moon took to get them worked in. Everything from the pitch to Hasbro to Tieger's obsession with dinosaurs since he was a child.

There are also plenty of new images to check out of the Dinobots. Click on the title bar to check those out and head over to the 2005 Boards to discuss
Views: 5,713 / Credit: Chrono Grimlock, Prime Jetscream, Takao of the 2005 Boards!

Images for Interview With High Moon's Matt Tieger about the Dinobots

Dinobot2
Dinobot3
Dinobot4
Dinobot5
Dinobot6
SPLIT LIP
Quote:
How High Moon saved the Dinobots
No.

Hasbro does not "retire" anything. They rarely, officially or publicly, announce when they cancel a line, they never do away with a character completely. Hasbro never says never. They know that Transformers is always changing and that characters are always being revamped and brought back from obscurity. If we can get fucking Black Shadow in Generations than Grimlock and the Dinobots will never be off the table. Matt Teiger is a big, lying gas bag. Just because they were going to be giving Grimlock a break doesn't mean he's gone forever, and to entertain the notion is laughably idiotic. But I expect no less from "SPACE T-REX GUYS SPACE T-REX SPACE T-REX REMEMBER THAT SPACE T-REX GUYS GUYS SPACE T-REX"

Matt, you have well and truely cemented my opinion of you as a big fat dummy.
Murasame
I just hope Grimlock returns in IDW comics. You can't retire Grimlock. That's like DC saying "Well folks, no Batman the next years".
HeroicC300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasame View Post
I just hope Grimlock returns in IDW comics. You can't retire Grimlock. That's like DC saying "Well folks, no Batman the next years".
He may reappear.

Good article, the highlights are in-game pics of Slug and Swoop, who for some reason lacks a mouth.
UndeadMonkeyGuy
Good to see more pics...
SPLIT LIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasame View Post
I just hope Grimlock returns in IDW comics. You can't retire Grimlock. That's like DC saying "Well folks, no Batman the next years".
He's not retired. That's a load.
jackgaughan
So Hasbro said that they're not having the Dinobots in the movie? I thought that was Bay? And we last saw Grimlock (in video game form) on the DS version of WFC. I sure do love when people do research.
Sso02V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post
No.

Hasbro does not "retire" anything. They rarely, officially or publicly, announce when they cancel a line, they never do away with a character completely. Hasbro never says never. They know that Transformers is always changing and that characters are always being revamped and brought back from obscurity. If we can get fucking Black Shadow in Generations than Grimlock and the Dinobots will never be off the table. Matt Teiger is a big, lying gas bag. Just because they were going to be giving Grimlock a break doesn't mean he's gone forever, and to entertain the notion is laughably idiotic. But I expect no less from "SPACE T-REX GUYS SPACE T-REX SPACE T-REX REMEMBER THAT SPACE T-REX GUYS GUYS SPACE T-REX"

Matt, you have well and truely cemented my opinion of you as a big fat dummy.
You don't get it. High Moon didn't just save the Dinobots, they saved TRANSFORMERS! Finally, G1 is getting some attention!
SPLIT LIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sso02V View Post
You don't get it. High Moon didn't just save the Dinobots, they saved TRANSFORMERS! Finally, G1 is getting some attention!
At last! That's what Transformers was missing! It's amazing how brining back one character most people don't remember can save an entire franchise that has survived quite healthily for decades back from the brink of failure. Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgaughan View Post
So Hasbro said that they're not having the Dinobots in the movie? I thought that was Bay? And we last saw Grimlock (in video game form) on the DS version of WFC. I sure do love when people do research.
I do, too.
Sso02V
At least he only said "space t-rex" five times.
Rexidus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post
No.

Hasbro does not "retire" anything. They rarely, officially or publicly, announce when they cancel a line, they never do away with a character completely. Hasbro never says never. They know that Transformers is always changing and that characters are always being revamped and brought back from obscurity. If we can get fucking Black Shadow in Generations than Grimlock and the Dinobots will never be off the table. Matt Teiger is a big, lying gas bag. Just because they were going to be giving Grimlock a break doesn't mean he's gone forever, and to entertain the notion is laughably idiotic. But I expect no less from "SPACE T-REX GUYS SPACE T-REX SPACE T-REX REMEMBER THAT SPACE T-REX GUYS GUYS SPACE T-REX"

Matt, you have well and truely cemented my opinion of you as a big fat dummy.


Did you actually read the interview? No where did Matt himself say he saved the dinobots. Also it clearly says that Hasbro hadn't retired them, they just didn't have a place for them as they were. Hasbro invited Matt and his team to come up with a new concept for them and try again.

That is what the interview actually said. Ignore the byline that was created by the author.
scoobsterinc
Yea most of what you said is lies as there not retired as many people love the dinobots...

It is not hasbro's choice for dinobots sometimes as bay clearly stated he hated the dinobots and insectiocns and im sure there will be a time where the dinobots get more love. (including FOC)
Prime Jetscream
Those pics on the interview seem REALLY unfamiliar...
Are they new?
If so, I call posting the thread about it.
Jericho
I don't recall Bay saying he hated it, but I do remember him saying he couldn't make a believable reason as to why there would be Dinobots in the current movieverse. Unless you really stick with what IDW did, and make it so that Grimlock (et all) were just stubborn and refused to change alt modes then it wouldn't work.

This story is interesting though, perhaps we'll see them in a movie one day.
Rexidus
I think Shockwave is a great excuse to make them. I just wish he had gotten the idea from fossils.

I hate the Transformers timeline being millions of years long. Oh and not all the dinosaurs of the dinobots existed at the same time.
Chrono Grimlock
Transforming Grimlock: How High Moon saved the Dinobots | The Verge

I didn't see this anywhere but it can't be new news. Really interesting read and it reveals Snarl as well.

EDIT Duh, found the discussion in the video game forum. Nothing to see here.
CelticMutt
I want that Swoop in toy form SO HARD.
Prime Jetscream
I'm pretty sure these are new because the interview they were on said they're exlusive.
Here are some robot and vehicle pictures of Slug and Swoop, a vehicle pic of Snarl, and a pic of Grimlocks swords concept art which seem kinda old to me, but I'm not positive, and Grimlock tearing some dude in half with his sword. Oh, I got these from the pics here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...-dinobots.html









Also, if these are old, know that I'm facepalming, okay? Because I don't wanna have to reply "facepalm"

Oh, and the interview is here: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...ron-activision
Prime Jetscream
It is new.
jerminator
Lol I just read it after seeing a link on FB. It was an excellent read for anyone who's a fan of the dinobots. Glad that High Moon is on our side.
Rexidus
Give me Slag/Slug.
DethPike
Man, f-ck Hasbro for real. "The Dinobots are done" - them seeing any more $$$ from ME until they produce a new dinobot is what's done.
Roufuss
All the highlighted quotes are about the "Space T-Rex"... damn, give it a break Tieger.
Steevy Maximus
Yeah, Verge really added a lot of hyperbole to sell this story.

Tieger didn't save the Dinobots, but Hasbro also doesn't seem to view them as an integral part of the current state of the brand.

And I agree with that: the Dinobots really don't have a place in the grounded disguise elements in the forefront of the brand's identity, and from the article, it seems Hasbro rejected the initial Dinobot pitch because it was Dinobots for the sake of Dinobots.

Once they gave a REASON for the Dinobots to be a part of the game, it appears Hasbro had no issue with it.
CETERUS PRIME
I love dinobots !!! Thank you !!!
Prime Jetscream
Why is this bumping but my thread with brand new pics of Dinobots is sinking?
Prime Jetscream
Quote:
Originally Posted by CETERUS PRIME View Post
I love dinobots !!! Thank you !!!
LOL.

I'm glad I caught this too, since these are the first in-game pics of the Dinobots we've seen besides Swoop and Snarl in the backround. :3
Crystal Convoy
Can't say I care that Hasbro's done with the Dinobots. Never really liked them anyway.
Wheeljack_Prime
I'd love to hear how the "No More Dinobots" stuff is going to reconcile how the TFPrime team's told us repeatedly that they're in the long-term plans for the show. Either that or Tieger's just being a drama queen here.
Kaijumaster
Very Nice!
Prime Jetscream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijumaster View Post
Very Nice!
I know, right? Still disappointed by the over-shininess, though...
Da_Razorsaw
Oh please.

Read the actual article. Hasbro more or less said "We understand you want to use the Dinobots, but we can't just use them for the sake of using them. You need to make it work."

The whole thing is a fluff piece made to make Tieger out to be some sort of champion. It's bullhocky.
SPLIT LIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoku View Post
Did you actually read the interview? No where did Matt himself say he saved the dinobots. Also it clearly says that Hasbro hadn't retired them, they just didn't have a place for them as they were. Hasbro invited Matt and his team to come up with a new concept for them and try again.
All I read was "OOHH DINOBOTS LOOK DINOBOTS REMEMBER DINOBOTS OH DINOBOTS." Dinobots suck. I'm tired of Matt Tieger riding that same line without actually explaining what's so great about them. It's the same stale canned hype with no substance or anything suggesting that the people making the game have any idea what makes a good game. Gimmicks and names do not make a good game.

Quote:
Ignore the byline that was created by the author.
No. The Author is still and idiot and Matt Tieger is still a tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus View Post
And I agree with that: the Dinobots really don't have a place in the grounded disguise elements in the forefront of the brand's identity, and from the article, it seems Hasbro rejected the initial Dinobot pitch because it was Dinobots for the sake of Dinobots.
Exactly. What can the Dinobots do that can't be done with other, better characters?
CelticMutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack_Prime View Post
I'd love to hear how the "No More Dinobots" stuff is going to reconcile how the TFPrime team's told us repeatedly that they're in the long-term plans for the show. Either that or Tieger's just being a drama queen here.
I'm going with drama queen.

On a side note, I want that Swoop in toy form so much.
SPLIT LIP
Tieger's a big blowhard, and the article writer is a shmuck.

Keep playing that song, Matt, it just makes you look like a complete moron. How's about you talk about the actual game and not this weak gimmick?
Valkysas
Yeah, Tieger's full of himself, and wants to make himself out to be a big hero. We know the Prime guys want to do Dinobots. We just had them in Animated. We just had an MP Grimlock. There's no sign that Hasbro wants to be done with the Dinobots. Just because they're not actively used every single year doesn't mean that Hasbro is done with them

Hasbro just saw Tieger wanting to use the Dinobots on Cybertron with no explanation given as to how, and told him to fix that. He fixed it.

Big fucking deal.
shroobmaster
Matt Tieger must be some kind of space t-rex alien that is trying to fool us with space dinosaur propaganda or something. That is the only explanation for him to keep repeating that shit so fucking much.

Well that and him trying to bait dumb nostalgiacows into playing TRUE TRANSFORMERS G1 STAN BUSH FOREVER FUCK MICHAEL BAY YEHAW
Da_Razorsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroobmaster View Post
Matt Tieger must be some kind of space t-rex alien that is trying to fool us with space dinosaur propaganda or something. That is the only explanation for him to keep repeating that shit so fucking much.

Well that and him trying to bait dumb nostalgiacows into playing TRUE TRANSFORMERS G1 STAN BUSH FOREVER FUCK MICHAEL BAY YEHAW
Post of the year.
transformerwars
Nice read.
Grimlockimus
Space T-rex does get annoying at times, but I must respect High Moon for fighting for Grimlock.

I'm hoping this will lead to Hasbro opening their eyes and seeing just how wrong they are to throw the Dinobots under the rug. One of the main draws to the new FOC game IS Grimlock and his Dinobots.

Even in the movies, one of the characters many fans wanted to see was Grimlock, especially considering how he'd work with Bay's action scenes.

If Hasbro doesn't come out to reveal a FOC Grimlock toy this Botcon, I think they'd be extremely foolish for passing up such a great tie-in product.
Valkysas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlockimus View Post
Space T-rex does get annoying at times, but I must respect High Moon for fighting for Grimlock.

I'm hoping this will lead to Hasbro opening their eyes and seeing just how wrong they are to throw the Dinobots under the rug.
They had no intention of doing that. if you read what hasbro is quoted as saying, they just wanted a reason for them to be on Cybertron, before the transformers discovered earth.

We just had Dinobot Powercore Combiners. They were in Animated. We know the Transformers Prime guys want to use the Dinobots too. They weren't being swept under the rug at all. Hasbro just wanted there to be a reason for them to be on Cybertron.

Tieger is distorting things to try and make himself out to be a hero to transformers fans. Unfortunately, it seems to be working.
Sideswipe80
Thank you Matt and HM! I love my space trex
Shizuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post
He's not retired. That's a load.
They could just y'know, stop putting them in comics. Hasbro could "retire" the character Blackarachnia and have Airachnid replace the character for example. All they have to do is stop featuring a character and soon that character will in other words cease to exist.
Sso02V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkysas View Post
Tieger is distorting things to try and make himself out to be a hero to transformers fans. Unfortunately, it seems to be working.
Case in point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe80 View Post
Thank you Matt and HM! I love my space trex
Da_Razorsaw
They didn't "fight for Grimlock."

They were told to be responsible to the brand and preserve story and conceptual integrity.

Hasbro didn't ask Tieger and co. to do anything except TO DO THEIR JOBS.
Grimlockimus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkysas View Post
They had no intention of doing that. if you read what hasbro is quoted as saying, they just wanted a reason for them to be on Cybertron, before the transformers discovered earth.

We just had Dinobot Powercore Combiners. They were in Animated. We know the Transformers Prime guys want to use the Dinobots too. They weren't being swept under the rug at all. Hasbro just wanted there to be a reason for them to be on Cybertron.

Tieger is distorting things to try and make himself out to be a hero to transformers fans. Unfortunately, it seems to be working.
I'm aware of the toys, trust me I am ^^"

But what I was referring too, though maybe poorly, was the fact that they never really had the spot light lately.

Back in G1, Grimlock and the Dinobots had quite the screen time, they were heavily placed in the movie, Grimlock even had his own bumper clip before commercials.

And after that, he really never had a big moment or show that he was featured in. Animated did have a Grimlock, which I love, but he only popped up in a few episodes.

FOC is more or less giving them the treatment G1 did, giving them the spotlight they've stepped out of for so long. Especially considering the fact that, well, they're the only characters really being shown off right now.

Which, I will say this, as much as I love Grimlock, I wish they'd show off some additional characters outside Grimlock and Bruticus, they're cool and all, but Wheeljack or Perceptor would be nice too.
SPLIT LIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlockimus View Post
I'm hoping this will lead to Hasbro opening their eyes and seeing just how wrong they are to throw the Dinobots under the rug.
Which they never did, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Razorsaw View Post
Hasbro didn't ask Tieger and co. to do anything except TO DO THEIR JOBS.
It really bothers me they needed to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlockimus View Post
But what I was referring too, though maybe poorly, was the fact that they never really had the spot light lately.
Because they had the spotlight all the other times. Dreamwave was essentially Dinobots featuring the Transformers.
Valkysas
This article is responsible for my final decision to pass on this game.

I will not give this lying bastard a cent of my money.

I hope Hasbro has a few words with him over this.
General Magnus
If I hear "space T-rex" one more time, Im gonna blow a fucking gasket.

Continue: Interview With High Moon's Matt Tieger about the Dinobots Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
Hobby Link Japan