Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Variety Reviews Transformers PRIME

Posted on 11-25-2010 at 12:22 AM by Shin Densetsu under Transformers Prime
Transformers-PRIME-Optimus-Prime
Variety has posted their review of Transformers PRIME, which premieres tomorrow, on Black Friday! Though the design influence from the movies made it to the character designs(some), what didn't follow were other characteristics of the movies. Here's some of what Variety had to say:

As no-brainers go, a Transformers TV show on the Hub -- welding Hasbro's popular toy line into its cable co-venture with Discovery -- ranks down there with making a sequel to the first movie. Yet the product of that assembly line, "Transformers Prime," proves unexpectedly sharp -- better than the movies (admittedly damnation with faint praise), thanks to the arresting CGI animation, which proves especially well-suited to rendering shiny robots and their vehicular alter egos. There's nothing more than meets the eye here, but what does appear is a plenty entertaining addition to this well-oiled moneymaking machine.

For those of you worried that the show would be kiddified and dumbed down, there's more than meets the eye after the jump!

Part of the advantage of TV animation -- as "Star Wars" fans have discovered with Lucasfilm's "The Clone Wars" series for Cartoon Network, which is essentially this show's stepfather -- is that the half-hour format deftly skates over thudding dialogue and limp plotting, while emphasizing peddle-to-the-metal (literally, in this case) action.

So this "Transformers" doesn't pussyfoot around much with plot: The Autobots led by Optimus Prime (voiced by Peter Cullen) encounter a trio of kids, fear the evil robots led by Megatron (Frank Welker) are going to overrun the Earth, and spend the remaining time racing around, battling and blowing stuff up.


More on the mature feel of the show:

Like "Clone Wars," moreover, the steady flow of mayhem (which includes "bleeding" oil), robot torture (think Gearhead Gitmo) and even snippets of dialogue ("Bite me.") characterize this as aimed more toward older kids and teens than younger tykes, although if they happen to catch the bug too, one suspects Hasbro won't be heartbroken. (Alas, there's no animated Megan Fox for, er, considerably older kids.)

The wait will soon be over, and we'll get to see for ourselves!
Views: 7,081 / Credit: BeastWars 4ever of the 2005 Boards!
Opticron Primal
Two more days 'til I SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE like a pig.
Torque
now im even more anxious to see this series!
Wheeljack_Prime
Ah, so Markie Post voices Jack's mom.
Mr. Sparklebot
Good to hear that I can expect good things from the show. Now, bring it on!
Paxtin
Sounds very promising. *Squee*
bellpeppers
Quote:
... aimed more toward older kids and teens than younger tykes...
Wow. Could I dare hope that we have finally received a dignified Transformers show that I won't feel embarrassed to watch- one that might actually appeal to me?
Smokescreen
I absolutely cannot wait for this. Sounds like it'll be a blast.
TwinSpin
Tivo=set

Hopes=High

Bring it!
Shin Densetsu
TF PRIME is looking and sounding considerably better than what I saw during the 1st few trailers. I hope we are in for a treat. I didn't like the prequel GN that much but the story was decent.

I found Clone Wars to be better than all 3 Star Wars prequel movies, so I think there is a chance that TF PRIME surpasses the movie writers' work on Bay's movies. By almost all accounts, after ROTF last year, this can't be a bad thing.
Septimus-Prime
Lets hope it lives up to is reputation.
spiritprime
Finally, something that's not too kiddy and not full of toilet humour that has you "face-palming" at every turn. Sounds like we'll be in for a real treat! I've got my fingers crossed for this show.
bellpeppers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Densetsu View Post
so I think there is a chance that TF PRIME surpasses the movie writers' work on Bay's movies.
That shouldn't be hard- they're only producing it, not writing it.
eagc7
Quote:
"Transformers Prime," proves unexpectedly sharp -- better than the movies
Nothing is better than movie-verse (IMO for these who dosent get this it means In My Opinion for Short lol)
Shizuka
Two more days until I watch this....

On the internet.
Dolza_Khyron
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagc7 View Post
Nothing is better than movie-verse (IMO for these who dosent get this it means In My Opinion for Short lol)
it's talking about the animation quality, not the "verse" lol
eagc7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolza_Khyron View Post
it's talking about the animation quality, not the "verse" lol
oh okay lol *shamed*
aussiehippy
Cautiously optimistic that this could be as watchable and enjoyable as Animated...

Hope torrents are available quickly, have no idea if this is planned to be shown in the UK at all.
Fort Max
Are they praising the fact it's got a paper thin plot...
Driftx3
I read the review, and this is not praise! It basically says it is a passable attempt a marketability. Where do people get praise or rave review from?
Tenebrouser
A TF show worth watching? What has the world come to?
Dolza_Khyron
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagc7 View Post
oh okay lol *shamed*
no you shouldn't be ashamed, bay should be ashamed for being out done by a cable tv show...

but it's probably because it lacks all those busy looking "insides" that makes the movie's animation look so, well, weird, because it's all so busy with all those moving parts lol
xanthax
I'm glad to hear it's getting a decent review. I'm really looking forward to it, liquid metal mouths and all
Ash from Carolina
I like the fact that more I read the more it sounds different than the other stuff we've gotten. Yes there are plenty of nods in there to other Transformers stories but it seems like it's going to have a very different feel than the movies or Animated.
shogun221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftx3 View Post
I read the review, and this is not praise! It basically says it is a passable attempt a marketability. Where do people get praise or rave review from?
This. I read his review and while he certainly doesn't seem hate the show, the words "generic" and "average" come to mind. Does anyone here think this guy intends to tune in for ep. 2 and 3 now that his obligatory viewing gig is over?
dare
Someone explain to me why we live in a world where TV cartoons are made in a more mature tone than a big budget live action movie.
darkunor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftx3 View Post
I read the review, and this is not praise! It basically says it is a passable attempt a marketability. Where do people get praise or rave review from?
My thoughts exactly! Here it is again:

As no-brainers go, a Transformers TV show on the Hub -- welding Hasbro's popular toy line into its cable co-venture with Discovery -- ranks down there with making a sequel to the first movie. Yet the product of that assembly line, "Transformers Prime," proves unexpectedly sharp -- better than the movies (admittedly damnation with faint praise), thanks to the arresting CGI animation, which proves especially well-suited to rendering shiny robots and their vehicular alter egos. There's nothing more than meets the eye here, but what does appear is a plenty entertaining addition to this well-oiled moneymaking machine.

What I made of the first sentence highlighted is that it's better than the Baymovies and given how bad they were it wasn't going to be difficult to top them and the fact that it is better than the Bay movies does not mean its good. For example, I might come across as being inpolitically correct and I apologise if I do so but what the hell, if a person with unimpaired movement was told he moved faster than a wheelbound paraplegic would that be compliment?? Surely this is vague as the scope for the unimpaired individual's speed is ambiguous and could range from slow to very fast but then again the fact that he's being compared to paraplegic doesn't bode to well for his speed, does it?

I don't know why people on ths discussion are getting so amped, the review does not seem to plie a heap of praise on this show from what I have deduced anyway. It also says the show is entertaining but for whom? A laughable as the movie franchise is, it's hugely entertaining: to people who enjoy fart jokes, toilet humor, vast amounts of explosions, excessive amounts of eye candy-CGI, Megan Fox and perhaps very limited story telling and character development! Like I said it's entertaing but for whom is the real question?

I personally will be staying away from this just like animated, to me the soft, kiddy, cuddly, pokemonesque approach does not suit warring factions of robots from outerspace particularly when one faction was here to drain the earth dry off it's resources at least in the G1 continuity!
Xaxis
It's a lame review that focuses more on the show being marketing material for the toyline. Frankly, I don't really care much what Variety says anyway. They rank down there with E!, Access Hollywood, and all the other brainless, buzzword-shoveling gossip media outfits.

I'm continuing to wait without expectation and will base my opinion on my own viewing.
Toxicon
@ Darkunor:

Head to Seibertron and read the previews of the first 2 episodes of Prime. It's far from kiddy and cuddly, if you're willing to give it a shot. Something tells me you'll enjoy Megatron, if you haven't heard of him already.

OT: Yay a review. Seems pretty average, but I'm watching the show anyway. Sounds awesome from the previews.
eagc7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolza_Khyron View Post
no you shouldn't be ashamed, bay should be ashamed for being out done by a cable tv show...

but it's probably because it lacks all those busy looking "insides" that makes the movie's animation look so, well, weird, because it's all so busy with all those moving parts lol
lol
ComicGuy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkunor View Post
My thoughts exactly! Here it is again:

As no-brainers go, a Transformers TV show on the Hub -- welding Hasbro's popular toy line into its cable co-venture with Discovery -- ranks down there with making a sequel to the first movie. Yet the product of that assembly line, "Transformers Prime," proves unexpectedly sharp -- better than the movies (admittedly damnation with faint praise), thanks to the arresting CGI animation, which proves especially well-suited to rendering shiny robots and their vehicular alter egos. There's nothing more than meets the eye here, but what does appear is a plenty entertaining addition to this well-oiled moneymaking machine.

What I made of the first sentence highlighted is that it's better than the Baymovies and given how bad they were it wasn't going to be difficult to top them and the fact that it is better than the Bay movies does not mean its good. For example, I might come across as being inpolitically correct and I apologise if I do so but what the hell, if a person with unimpaired movement was told he moved faster than a wheelbound paraplegic would that be compliment?? Surely this is vague as the scope for the unimpaired individual's speed is ambiguous and could range from slow to very fast but then again the fact that he's being compared to paraplegic doesn't bode to well for his speed, does it?

I don't know why people on ths discussion are getting so amped, the review does not seem to plie a heap of praise on this show from what I have deduced anyway. It also says the show is entertaining but for whom? A laughable as the movie franchise is, it's hugely entertaining: to people who enjoy fart jokes, toilet humor, vast amounts of explosions, excessive amounts of eye candy-CGI, Megan Fox and perhaps very limited story telling and character development! Like I said it's entertaing but for whom is the real question?

I personally will be staying away from this just like animated, to me the soft, kiddy, cuddly, pokemonesque approach does not suit warring factions of robots from outerspace particularly when one faction was here to drain the earth dry off it's resources at least in the G1 continuity!
Well, considering the average quality of most Transformers shows, having the reviewer even mildly recommend the show is rather good praise. Not all such shows attract the attention of mainstream critics, who, it seems, are determined more than ever to dive into "revolutionary" drama.

I was personally surprised! I hope that this show will be fun, and am greatly looking forward to it.
Paxtin
Ok, I'll admit the review is not sterling, but here is how I took it: The reviewer is your obvious run of the mill review snob, so the fact that he has anything positive to say about the new show, is promising. The quote "proves unexpectedly sharp" says to me that he went into this determined to rip it apart, but found it actually wasn't bad. So you can tell he's reluctantly trying to be fair, while still holding on to his snobby disposition.

Also, some of us are balancing this with other info we've been getting elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkunor View Post
I personally will be staying away from this just like animated, to me the soft, kiddy, cuddly, pokemonesque approach does not suit warring factions of robots from outerspace-
From the Variety review:
"Like "Clone Wars," moreover, the steady flow of mayhem (which includes "bleeding" oil), robot torture (think Gearhead Gitmo) and even snippets of dialogue ("Bite me.") characterize this as aimed more toward older kids and teens than younger tykes-"

Soft, kiddy and cuddly, indeed.
OptimusSolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicon View Post
@ Darkunor:

Head to Seibertron and read the previews of the first 2 episodes of Prime. It's far from kiddy and cuddly, if you're willing to give it a shot. Something tells me you'll enjoy Megatron, if you haven't heard of him already.

OT: Yay a review. Seems pretty average, but I'm watching the show anyway. Sounds awesome from the previews.
Why would we head there when this site has the previews for all 5 of the first episodes?!

Continue: Variety Reviews Transformers PRIME Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
TFSource.com