Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4 - Previous Robot Cast Redesigned, New Robots & Quitting

Posted on 04-26-2013 at 11:43 PM by SilverOptimus under Transformers Movie (Just Movie) (All Transformers Movie News)
Michael-Bay-Transformers-4-New-Robots
Director Michael Bay was interviewed by Moviefone regarding his upcoming movies; Ninja Turtles and Transformers 4. Mr. Bay had lots to say; specifically how he got into the Transformers Franchise in the first place, how he’s leaving it and redesigning old and introducing new robot characters for Transformers 4.

Well it’s more about how you approach these films, like for example, on “Tranformers,” you already have the built in audience.

See, I was not a fan of Transformers [at first]. Hasbro was talking about giving me a whole Transformers story, and I’m like, “If I can do this really real. If I can make them believable, I think I could have something here.” I’m not a Hollywood guy. My friends are normal guys. I’ve got this guy from Texas. He’s like, “Mike, that “Transformers” [movie] seems like a dumb idea.” And I’m like, “Yeah, I know, but just give it a second.” And then I showed him the shot of the Scorponoks jumping out of the sand with Tyrese [Gibson] running. He saw that image and he went, “I see what you’re doing.” You’ll always have haters, but the last movie? One-hundred-twenty million people saw that movie. There’s still a lot of fans of that franchise. And I’m a huge Transformers fan now, and I protect that brand.

Yeah, because then you’re limited in what you can do and what you can show.

Yeah. You know there are a couple of historians of Transformers. I would do my designs of the robots and they’re like, “What if you just add a little bit more ears to Optimus?” But they’re really hands off. We’ve redesigned them in “Transformers 4,” and there’s some really cool sh*t in it. I’m literally redesigning every character, top to bottom. There’s a reason why they’re redesigned, but it’s also to keep it new and fresh to me. I think the fans will appreciate some of this new stuff we have in the movie and some of the new characters.

I know when you did “Transformers 3,” you were kind of done...

Yeah, and this is literally a true story. I went to the [Transformers] ride in Universal, and there’s a two-and-a-half-hour line, and you just see all these kids -- it’s the most popular ride they’ve had since Jurassic Park -- and I’m like... It’s hard to let go of your franchise. You don’t want someone to f*ck it up. So I at least wanted to set it up on some good footing. Because you’re going to get a different kind of director [who is] not going to want to follow in my footsteps. Directors feel very territorial. So they’re going to go to a more inexperienced director. It’s just the way Hollywood works. And I’m thinking, “God, so I’ll redesign it, set it up... Someone’s gonna f*ck this up. This is way too big of a thing.” And I’m looking at all these kids and I’m like, “F*ck, I gotta do one more.” And then I brought Mark [Wahlberg] into it. So now we’ve got a movie star, we’ve got full redesigns. At least it’ll be on good footing.


Read the full interview at Moviefone.
Views: 5,019
Burnout
Too late about f^%king up the franchise butcher bay....you did that once you turned transformers into 2 and half hours of dick n ball jokes and crappy designs and incoherent plots.
Stonecrusher
Why do I feel like the only way we'll get a new director for Transformers was if Michael Bay disappeared somehow?
bignick1693
I have respect for they guy. He tries to improve. Dotm made up for rotf. Sounds like 4 going to be good. I'm glad the Sam story is done. He wasn't needed after the first movie.
Fallout
aw, he cares about the franchise.
Stryker055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Too late about f^%king up the franchise butcher bay....you did that once you turned transformers into 2 and half hours of dick n ball jokes and crappy designs and incoherent plots.
So can this be the only post of its kind in the thread? Can we be done with these idiotic comments now? It stopped being cool and funny long ago.

I'll buy that he does have an attachment to Transformers, but I know that the only reason he came back is for all the money to be made. I'm looking forward to how extensive these "redesigns" will be...
caecae22
I think its funny how he says he doesnt want too see any one F*#king up the franchise , yet i personally think thats what hes done.
Maximo Prime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker055 View Post
So can this be the only post of its kind in the thread? Can we be done with these idiotic comments now? It stopped being cool and funny long ago.

I'll buy that he does have an attachment to Transformers, but I know that the only reason he came back is for all the money to be made. I'm looking forward to how extensive these "redesigns" will be...
Agreed. Haters coming into this thread just to rain on the parade, you're being fucking obnoxious. It doesn't bother me at all that you don't like the movies. But FFS you're only coming in here to whine, bitch, moan, and troll.
Autoboticon
Why the hell do you give a guy the rights to a franchise when he doesn't even know anything about it or like it in the first place!!!!!!!
Fallout
i love how the haters read the article just to dump on it, lol
SilverOptimus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker055 View Post
I'm looking forward to how extensive these "redesigns" will be...
New versions of the Camaro and the Corvette are ready for 2014 release. So Bumblebee and Sideswipe are redesigned, I guess. No Ironhide; leaving a space for a new SUV type of Autobot. New Ferrari (LaFerrari) looks cool and almost like the 458. I'm thinking Mirage/Dino will be redesigned along with it. There's a probability of Smokescreen. Hummer is no longer manufactured. Even last time they had a hard time with the vehicle, so an upgrade for Ratchet is expected.

Can't say what they will do for the Decepticons. Entire Decepticon main cast is dead. I don't see Bay resurrecting them. Hasbro need new toy characters and I'm sure a new line of Decepticons will be there.
Jazz210
It gets better... Optimus is supposedly being redesigned. I await leaked pics of these alleged "redesigns from top to bottom"...
harrismonkey
When you think about the twins, and the wreckers- I have to wonder if the Newley redesigned Optimus will have a beer gut, beard and be balding.

I am looking forward to it though- although after DOTM, I'm worried the toys Hasbro produces will be too far beneath the Rotf type stuff to have any business being displayed in the same place. Maybe I won't collect Tf4 stuff? I've got a very nice set of HA and leader customs, I'd rather stop than dilute the quality. Maybe they'll surprise me...
harrismonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIBMRatchet View Post
New versions of the Camaro and the Corvette are ready for 2014 release. So Bumblebee and Sideswipe are redesigned, I guess. No Ironhide; leaving a space for a new SUV type of Autobot. New Ferrari (LaFerrari) looks cool and almost like the 458. I'm thinking Mirage/Dino will be redesigned along with it. There's a probability of Smokescreen. Hummer is no longer manufactured. Even last time they had a hard time with the vehicle, so an upgrade for Ratchet is expected.

Can't say what they will do for the Decepticons. Entire Decepticon main cast is dead. I don't see Bay resurrecting them. Hasbro need new toy characters and I'm sure a new line of Decepticons will be there.
After the Dino disaster last time (I still want to see the prototypes- model numbers point heavily to them existing)- I really doubt Dino will return as a Ferrari again (unless a deal has been made).
JoeHavok
It's really cool to read about Michael Bay getting excited about Transformers 4. I'm really looking forward to it.
Dinobot Nuva
I doubt Dino will be returning period considering his voice actor passed away.
unlikelyhero
Michael Bay just wants a paycheck. Adding more robots isn't going to make it better, redesigning the robots isn't going to make it better. Him being a director again isn't going to make it better. Mark Walhberg isn't going to make it better. The only reason why the movies did so well is because of its established fan base. If Bay listened to fan feedback and got off his pompous horse he would truly make a better movie. I hate to think what else he can screw up. Rodimus?
SilverOptimus
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismonkey View Post
After the Dino disaster last time (I still want to see the prototypes- model numbers point heavily to them existing)- I really doubt Dino will return as a Ferrari again (unless a deal has been made).
Good point. I though about it. Last time we didn't get a toy because Mattel was all fired-up about their Ferrari toy rights. I wouldn't be surprised if Mirage/Dino has a non-Ferrari vehicle mode this time. But I do love the LaFerrari. It looks awesome for a robot. I also have a doubt if Mirage would return. They didn't bring back Jolt for DOTM. Like Dinobot Nuva said... Mirage voice actor passed away.
Hiro Prime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoboticon View Post
Why the hell do you give a guy the rights to a franchise when he doesn't even know anything about it or like it in the first place!!!!!!!
$2,669,700,000 in worldwide ticket sales. (not counting DVD/Blueray, toys, a theme park ride and other related merchandise.)
moreprimeland
Hey, I'm happy he's excited about getting things done and bots redesigned from top to bottom...you gotta wonder if they're going for a more G1 look or just more of the movie designs redeux? Can't wait to see what they do to Optimus.
Theprimeoflegen
Crossing my fingers that primes new redesign is going to look great.
dinobot1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Prime View Post
$2,669,700,000 in worldwide ticket sales. (not counting DVD/Blueray, toys, a theme park ride and other related merchandise.)
As Quickstrike would say "Can't argue with the results though".
03Mach1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinobot1 View Post
As Quickstrike would say "Can't argue with the results though".
You have no idea. Watch. It's gonna be epic.
cheetor71
Good interview. I can't wait to see how the bots get redesigned.
Feralstorm
I was a smidge incredulous at Bay talking about the robot redesigns like it was something he was tackling personally.
ThatOddGuy
I always chuckle when he says stuff like that....


...But hey, I'm all in for new designs, so I'm looking forward to that.
FMA1987
I am up for new redesigns you have to plus Hasbro still has to give its stamp of approval on it since they have to sell toys I personally love the Bay movies so I am excited he cares that is why he brought in Ethan Krugger who is a big Transformers fan I am excited!!!
Ash from Carolina
I just don't get the feeling that he really cares about fans outside of the people that normally watch his sort of films. It's a bit like he cares about his version of Transformers but couldn't care less about the versions that other people like.

Also not falling for that he's going to leave the franchise mess because it's what he says over and over again but he never leaves because it would be a risk to do something else instead of milking a franchise to death.

Redesigns, who knows at this point since we haven't seen concept art or anything else yet. So that part may or may not be true. But I just can't buy into giving a damn about fans, being true to the origins of franchises, or that he's leaving after 4 films.
Deceptigtar
why do ppl still blame bay 100%?

hasbro gives the go ahead for all this shit.

he doesnt write the stories. just directs it. he doesnt design the bots either.

i enjoy the movies, and if it wasnt for them it would be a pretty dull fandom right now as the movies have helped fund a lot the stuff we have gotten.
OwlLasers
Michael Bay is horrible, and our precious time with Peter Cullen is being wasted on him.
Jack Darby
I just hope he doesn't change the design of Optimus and Bumblebee because I really loved their design especially Optimus'.
Think122
The movies are terrible period its a shame the franchise had such potential. Someone clearly thought that Transformers was to be nothing more then Cars, Big Explosions and mindless Sex in your face. Was this a marketing success? you bet!

But the franchise was not made for fans and the last 3 movies speak to that, it was a big budget film aimed at the masses. They went the safe route and they cashed in big, that does not change the fact that the movies suck.

I wish there was hope for a decent remake of these movies but I seriously doubt it, the damage is done. As to these redesigns give me a break its just Hasbro knowing that the same old tired models wont keep cutting it.
8bitboy
There is only one transformers film.
gokuz23
Yes Micheal Bay, it's cuz of the kids or the someone might f#%k it up, never about the money right? Bullshit! He already messed up the franchise
ThinkTank Customs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoboticon View Post
Why the hell do you give a guy the rights to a franchise when he doesn't even know anything about it or like it in the first place!!!!!!!
This happend to the mcu as well, and man they all made a damn good job!
Xaxis
"the Scorponoks"

"What if you just add a little bit more ears to Optimus?"

"And I’m looking at all these kids and I’m like, 'F*ck, I gotta do one more.'"


Same old Bay. This does not help me feel optimistic about another TF movie with him at the helm. Surprise me, Bay... do it right this time.
soymonk
I'm indifferent. Just give me good toys

Love it or hate it, I'll still watch it and so will everyone else.
Paxtin
Ah, the incessant movie hatred...How I did not miss it.
As much as I acknowledge how bad the movies are, the fan outrage is almost by far worse.

I always get a chuckle out of the people who say that if Bay had listened to the fans, we'd have better movies. Even though as fans we can't even get along with each other on the topic of Transformers half the time. In reality, what we have gotten from the movies is probably exactly what we deserve as a fan base.
steelgravekaon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoboticon View Post
Why the hell do you give a guy the rights to a franchise when he doesn't even know anything about it or like it in the first place!!!!!!!
BUT...he likes it now that he's made a dump truck of $$$$ on it.
GMANIFESS
I enjoyed the movies for what they were & what they did for the franchise.

The new designs can't possibly be any uglier,scattered, junky, oil-dripping, gas-cap mouth-having, internal parts-showing or half-assembled looking as the previous 3 films right??

I'll remove my emotional investment from this for now.

And with Disney owning Lucasfilm... they now own ILM. So i don't know if that bodes well for new designs or not. Unless Bay uses a different studio for the FX....

steelgravekaon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIBMRatchet View Post
New versions of the Camaro and the Corvette are ready for 2014 release. So Bumblebee and Sideswipe are redesigned, I guess. No Ironhide; leaving a space for a new SUV type of Autobot. New Ferrari (LaFerrari) looks cool and almost like the 458. I'm thinking Mirage/Dino will be redesigned along with it. There's a probability of Smokescreen. Hummer is no longer manufactured. Even last time they had a hard time with the vehicle, so an upgrade for Ratchet is expected.

Can't say what they will do for the Decepticons. Entire Decepticon main cast is dead. I don't see Bay resurrecting them. Hasbro need new toy characters and I'm sure a new line of Decepticons will be there.
shockwaves pet driller worm lived...that is the new commander in chief of the decepticon forces...or it will be that armored truck or trash truck we saw fleeing the DC area.
GMANIFESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgravekaon View Post
shockwaves pet driller worm lived...that is the new commander in chief of the decepticon forces...or it will be that armored truck or trash truck we saw fleeing the DC area.
i thought Prime finished off the driller once he got his flight pack.
And there should be hundreds of Deceps hiding out all over the world since they were all stationed with the pillars. The whole 4th film could be a hunt for the remaining Deceps or 2 hours of some kids, Marky Mark & Bumblebee running from one of them.
steelgravekaon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANIFESS View Post
i thought Prime finished off the driller once he got his flight pack.
And there should be hundreds of Deceps hiding out all over the world since they were all stationed with the pillars. The whole 4th film could be a hunt for the remaining Deceps or 2 hours of some kids, Marky Mark & Bumblebee running from one of them.
he shot it up ...but it never showed him killing it outright.

he fought and killed shockwave and killed him.

but since they did not show a chop off its head/ give me your face scene i figured it survived.
unicronic
'It’s hard to let go of your franchise. You don’t want someone to f*ck it up.'

Heaven forbid they were to 'f*ck it up' with a coherent story, vertebrae endowed villain or plots that don't conflict.
GMANIFESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgravekaon View Post
he shot it up ...but it never showed him killing it outright.

he fought and killed shockwave and killed him.

but since they did not show a chop off its head/ give me your face scene i figured it survived.
Prime severed the 'head' of the driller. Pretty sure it's dead.

Optimus Prime Kills Driller - YouTube
Stepper
Bay keep on saying some new director will f^%king up the franchise but hey look,why he did not think that HE is the one who is f^%king up the whole thing.
Paarthurnax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker055 View Post
So can this be the only post of its kind in the thread? Can we be done with these idiotic comments now? It stopped being cool and funny long ago.
Yup! First comment & I don't even want to read any more comments.

In the past few years, since around 2004-2006 I learned what the Transformers fans are like. You have a franchise that you love but it has this cancer that you need to avoid in order to enjoy it. That cancer is the fanbase. I've learned that I love Transformers but the fans are not the kind of people I want to be associated with. I have to make sure the fans don't ruin it for me & turn me against it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepper View Post
Bay keep on saying some new director will f^%king up the franchise but hey look,why he did not think that HE is the one who is f^%king up the whole thing.
Pop quiz!

1. How much money did the last movie make?

2.What is the reason for a movie studio to make movies?

If you can answer those 2 questions then you can also answer your own question.
protostar8
Anyone else find it ironic that Bay is worried about someone f**king up the TF movie franchise...rolls eyes...
Here's hoping for a massive change in designs. There is just too much pure stupidity in Bay's interview to even know where to begin.
Paarthurnax
Quote:
Originally Posted by protostar8 View Post
Anyone else find it ironic that Bay is worried about someone f**king up the TF movie franchise...rolls eyes...
Here's hoping for a massive change in designs. There is just too much pure stupidity in Bay's interview to even know where to begin.
Sorry, have to post this again for the people that just don't get it.


Pop quiz!

1. How much money did the last movie make?

2.What is the reason for a movie studio to make movies?

If you can answer those 2 questions then you can also answer your own question.


After Beast Machines, Energon & Animated I'm really not worried about anybody fucking up the franchise. We've already had a fair share of garbage that is a lot worse than the movies could ever be. The franchise survived & is doing just fine.
Ikkstakk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bay
Because you’re going to get a different kind of director [who is] not going to want to follow in my footsteps. Directors feel very territorial. So they’re going to go to a more inexperienced director. It’s just the way Hollywood works.
Listen to this man. You may insist he doesn't know Transformers, but you have to admit he knows Hollywood. The next director will be somebody we've never heard of who's going to want to change everything into something HE comes up with. Not something Hasbro came up with thirty years ago. Which means it will be less G1, not more.

Continue: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4 - Previous Robot Cast Redesigned, New Robots & Quitting Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
Big Bad Toy Store