Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Lucasfilm Singapore Working On Transformers 4 Age Of Extinction CGI

Posted on 01-16-2014 at 12:33 PM by SilverOptimus under Transformers Movie (Just Movie) (All Transformers Movie News)
LucasFilm-Singapore-SandCrawler-Transformers-4-Age-Of-Extinction
The new office complex of Lucasfilm Singapore was declared open today and immediately it became busy with work. Inside this Sandcrawler lookalike (What else can we expect from the creator of Star Wars?) employees are busy working on Transformers: Age of Extinction.

According to reports from Asia, this newly created CGI powerhouse is currently working on Transformers: Age Of Extinction and Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

Future projects include an unnamed Animated series, a Theme Park Ride movie and Hitman: Agent 47.
Views: 5,914
Jaydenthetank
They will do the simulations for explosions like on DOTM
Thenames9
Sweet! I hope the animation is really good, but I remember Bay saying the production costs would be significantly lower than DOTM? I haven't really been keeping up for a while, so could somebody fill me in?
Rumblestorm
ILM won't be involved? Or is it just a collaboration?
QLRformer
TheTFReview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestorm View Post
ILM won't be involved? Or is it just a collaboration?
ILM is LucasFilm.
EnerJohn
Eek...okay, I hope the CGI looks good. ILM is the best. I'm afraid the CGI will look like WETA...ugh
tonyformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTFReview View Post
ILM is LucasFilm.
This. But i bet you the production costs are lower because they have this new CGI studio working on the project and what it might cost here in the states to do some of the CGI, can be done there for a lot less. So, while the over all production costs may be lower, we may end up getting even more CGI and effects in this movie than DOTM because of the cost savings.
Jaydenthetank
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJohn View Post
Eek...okay, I hope the CGI looks good. ILM is the best. I'm afraid the CGI will look like WETA...ugh
Haha, Weta isn't that bad, they did the cgi for the for the final battle scene of Iron Man 3, and the Hobbit looks a lot better without the high frame rate
NICKBOT
Thank god this was front paged, I'm glad the Jawas are hard at work at making the live action robots come to life.
bman29
Interesting, but basically their sending work overseas for cheaper labor. I smell sweatshop CGI. Doesn't matter I suppose, as long as the final product looks good.
Sablebot
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyformer View Post
This. But i bet you the production costs are lower because they have this new CGI studio working on the project and what it might cost here in the states to do some of the CGI, can be done there for a lot less. So, while the over all production costs may be lower, we may end up getting even more CGI and effects in this movie than DOTM because of the cost savings.
Tonyformer, I completely agree. From what I understand, it is cheaper to farm out the VFX work to Asian companies. May have something to do with the monetary conversion rate/rate of exchange.
blackwidow1972
I say the movie is going to suck like mastodon balls!
Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyformer View Post
This. But i bet you the production costs are lower because they have this new CGI studio working on the project and what it might cost here in the states to do some of the CGI, can be done there for a lot less. So, while the over all production costs may be lower, we may end up getting even more CGI and effects in this movie than DOTM because of the cost savings.
Could be simplified robot designs also - considering the updated versions of Bumblebee and Optimus - Drift also seems to be less complicated possibly so it takes less time to animate them :L
PrimulArchangel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyformer View Post
This. But i bet you the production costs are lower because they have this new CGI studio working on the project and what it might cost here in the states to do some of the CGI, can be done there for a lot less. So, while the over all production costs may be lower, we may end up getting even more CGI and effects in this movie than DOTM because of the cost savings.
Just like everything in this country, everything costs more lol .

That building is pretty sweet looking, im still on the fence with this movie. Im all for change but this movie isn't getting me as excited as the past movies.
Decepticons
I was worried for a minute. I couldn't imagine Transformers without Industrial Light & Magic, but then I discovered they are connected to each other. I was seriously about to cry.
StayingInTheBox
That building is SICK!
tonyformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Could be simplified robot designs also - considering the updated versions of Bumblebee and Optimus - Drift also seems to be less complicated possibly so it takes less time to animate them :L
that has nothing to do with the simplified looks. Any company can do the simplified looks. ILM U.S can do it easily. There would be no need to send CGI work out of the country because someone else can do better simplified work. What it cost here in the U.S to do all the CGI for say OP may cost half as much at this new CGI company in Singapore so they may be able to do the full CGI work for 2 TFs there instead of what it cost to do 1 TF here in the U.S.

I can see now why Mark Walhberg was saying he heard production was in the numbers of 300 Mil plus. We are basically getting a 300 Mil plus production for half that by having some of the CGI work done outside the U.S.
Ephland
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJohn View Post
Eek...okay, I hope the CGI looks good. ILM is the best. I'm afraid the CGI will look like WETA...ugh
huh?
Jakest123
I really hope they're as good as ILM. Otherwise Bay has screwed himself over.
Weremole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephland View Post
huh?
They did a lot more CGI for the Hobbit movies as opposed to the practical effect , optical illusion and CGI mix of the Ring movies. Which combined with the high framerate approach made the CGI stand out like a sore thumb.

Which is no fault on the CGI itself.
NICKBOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingInTheBox View Post
That building is SICK!
No joke, it is modeled after the Jawa Sandcrawler.
Bumblethumper
Lucasfilm: Divisions | Lucasfilm Singapore

according to their website, Lucasfilm Singapore is comprised of 3 divisions: Lucasfilm Animation, Lucasarts and ILM Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasfilm
ILM Singapore works alongside Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) in the US to produce world-class visual effects. ILM has received 15 Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects and 23 Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards. Since 2006, ILM Singapore has worked on the production of visual effects shots and sequences for a variety of feature films, including Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, the Transformers franchise and Iron Man.
It sounds like they've done this before, so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJohn View Post
Eek...okay, I hope the CGI looks good. ILM is the best. I'm afraid the CGI will look like WETA...ugh
WETA are perfectly capable. They do incredible work every year. If they ever work on a TF film I certainly won't be complaining.
Ephland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weremole View Post
They did a lot more CGI for the Hobbit movies as opposed to the practical effect , optical illusion and CGI mix of the Ring movies. Which combined with the high framerate approach made the CGI stand out like a sore thumb.

Which is no fault on the CGI itself.
my confusion was that he said ILM was the best, but then said he was worried about how this would turn out. The statements were contradictory.
PrimusVsUnicron
Doesn't Disney own Lucasfilms now O_o
tonyformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakest123 View Post
I really hope they're as good as ILM. Otherwise Bay has screwed himself over.
ILM is still working on TF4 also. In fact, I can see ILM still doing the Dinobots and most of the TFs but Lucusfilms Singapore probably doing a lot of the extra smaller CGI stuff and CGI renders for other things like maybe the ships and background characters and background CGI. It would be no different than how Bay had ILM doing all the big stuff in movies 1, 2 and 3 and Digital Domain doing the smaller stuff like the AllSpark created Bots in movie 1 or the kitchen Bots in movie 2 and a lot of the back ground effects (city destruction) or military air vehicle CGI in movie 3.

Digital Domain TFs related stuff.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cWc&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...59568121,d.cWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cWc&cad=rja
tonyformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusVsUnicron View Post
Doesn't Disney own Lucasfilms now O_o
yes and this is why way early on Bay said TF4 would be a co-op movie between Paramount and Disney
03Mach1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKBOT View Post
Thank god this was front paged, I'm glad the Jawas are hard at work at making the live action robots come to life.
I'm glad you took the time to inject some positivity into the discussion.
sideswipeprime*
So they they barely start doing work on the cgi today or already been working on it for a while? Cause the superbowl is in three weeks.
tonyformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswipeprime* View Post
So they they barely start doing work on the cgi today or already been working on it for a while? Cause the superbowl is in three weeks.
I'm sure ILM has fond most of the work up to this point.
eagc7
Quote:
Doesn't Disney own Lucasfilms now
just cause Disney owns Lucasfilm (and therefore ILM) doesnt means they cannot do non-Disney Movies anymore, heck ILM is still involved with the next Jurassic Park
Autovolt 127
That's neat.
reep15
This isn't that complicated.
----ILM was founded UNDER Lucasfilm.
----Lucasfilm was bought out by Disney.
Meaning that ILM is still doing the effects under Lucasfilm and Disney. Not that hard to understand. And just because They started work there recently, does not mean that other special effects in the movie have not already been started on, and some completed.
9.8m/s^2
There are some seriously talented artists in Singapore; it's a wealthy, high-tech nation with a number of very good schools. If you're imagining a mainland Chinese sweatshop, you've never been to Singapore. The labor there is possibly cheaper, yes, but that's because living expenses are structured differently there than here. It's just as likely, honestly, that the quality of work from the Singapore office is just better. Trust me, if you're a skilled technical professional, working in Singapore is in many ways better than working here in the US; I used to work for a digital video editing company, and the Singapore positions were among the most competitive and desired.
tonyformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.8m/s^2 View Post
There are some seriously talented artists in Singapore; it's a wealthy, high-tech nation with a number of very good schools. If you're imagining a mainland Chinese sweatshop, you've never been to Singapore. The labor there is possibly cheaper, yes, but that's because living expenses are structured differently there than here. It's just as likely, honestly, that the quality of work from the Singapore office is just better. Trust me, if you're a skilled technical professional, working in Singapore is in many ways better than working here in the US; I used to work for a digital video editing company, and the Singapore positions were among the most competitive and desired.
Very will said
LegendAntihero
I hope they can handle making combiners like Devastator better than Paramount.
tonyformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendAntihero View Post
I hope they can handle making combiners like Devastator better than Paramount.
paramount didn't make any combiner lol.
llamatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.8m/s^2 View Post
There are some seriously talented artists in Singapore; it's a wealthy, high-tech nation with a number of very good schools. If you're imagining a mainland Chinese sweatshop, you've never been to Singapore. The labor there is possibly cheaper, yes, but that's because living expenses are structured differently there than here. It's just as likely, honestly, that the quality of work from the Singapore office is just better. Trust me, if you're a skilled technical professional, working in Singapore is in many ways better than working here in the US; I used to work for a digital video editing company, and the Singapore positions were among the most competitive and desired.
I was just coming here to say pretty much the exact same thing.

Massive lulz at the rednecks thinking Singapore is some rundown sweatshop hellhole. Guess what? Singapore has one of the highest GDP-per-capita in the world (ranks higher than the almighty USA).
dmc2008
Age of Extinction? Age of Ultron?

Wake me up when they're doing Age of Apocalypse
sh002
Nice looking building
Wewyllenium
I bet my ass that building, like the sand crawler, will be filled with disposable robots/slaves when it's in full operation
PikaManiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
I was just coming here to say pretty much the exact same thing.

Massive lulz at the rednecks thinking Singapore is some rundown sweatshop hellhole. Guess what? Singapore has one of the highest GDP-per-capita in the world (ranks higher than the almighty USA).
I live and work in Singapore, and I agree Singapore is not a hellish China sweatshop, but we are forced to work really hard (Think Japan but less disciplined) and get paid 2 to 3 times less than what we could have gotten overseas.
T-Logicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
I was just coming here to say pretty much the exact same thing.

Massive lulz at the rednecks thinking Singapore is some rundown sweatshop hellhole. Guess what? Singapore has one of the highest GDP-per-capita in the world (ranks higher than the almighty USA).
Almighty USA?
Condescending tone: noted.
Lulz (?) at "rednecks" - douchey generalization: noted
Well done sir. Stay classy.
MEGATRON2099
Just made it better
unicron nemesis
Got a friend working there as an animator. Gotta go visit sometime since it's just half an hour away
BeeOtch217
Well that's a surprise.
llamatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Logicon View Post
douchey generalization
...like assuming that all of asia is some broke-ass third world slave labor manufacturing industry?
EnergonWaffles
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
...like assuming that all of asia is some broke-ass third world slave labor manufacturing industry?
Both of those generalizations were equally ridiculous.



Back to the subject: I'll be excited to see somebody new take a shot at the CGI.

Continue: Lucasfilm Singapore Working On Transformers 4 Age Of Extinction CGI Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
TFSource.com