Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

WTF @ TFW Podcast Episode 193 Now Online

Posted on 04-05-2012 at 12:50 AM by Sol Fury under Site Updates
wtf193
It's time for the three muskateers, Vangelus, Gogdog, and Seth Buzzard, to clash their mighty blades and cover another week of brickstacking Transformers action.

You can download and comment on it here: WTF @ TFW - Episode 193

And be sure to check out WTF Primetime, where the crew just discussed the fandom-shaking events of Loose Cannons and Crossfire!

WTF Primetime - 28 - Loose Cannons
WTF Primetime - 29 - Crossfire

If you use iTunes and regularly subscribe to podcasts, you can add us to your player and have the software download each episode automatically each time we update. To do that, and give us a reviews on iTunes, click here: Transformers Podcast on iTunes.
Views: 1,128
Vangelus
MP3 will be there in 15ish~
Chosen
Oh, wait, there it is. DELICIOUS.
TheTFReview
I'm still rooting for you guys to join the Windows Phone/Zune marketplace!
Heat Guy
Sweet, I've got a long drive tomorrow, and this makes it even better.
RedAlert Rescue
The inaccurate dates on these Podcasts always throws me for a loop as this has not been on here since March the 30th that's for 100% certain.
Thinktank
So about that Knockout photo....
Hmmm?
Vangelus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlert Rescue View Post
The inaccurate dates on these Podcasts always throws me for a loop as this has not been on here since March the 30th that's for 100% certain.
They are not inaccurate dates, they are the date of recording.
GogDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlert Rescue View Post
The inaccurate dates on these Podcasts always throws me for a loop as this has not been on here since March the 30th that's for 100% certain.
I'm sorry you have not caught on to the fact Vangelus stated above for several years now. Yeah, we're totally just posting arbitrary dates in the thread titles. Sure are....
madmegas4
The Champion Writtener!
anikenvader
I am SO glad I wasn't the only one who related the Arms Micron shorts to the Ghost in the Shell flash's. Gog receives +1 awesome.
Chykin
Any idea why my iTunes has stopped updating with new episodes since 190?
StayingInTheBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chykin View Post
Any idea why my iTunes has stopped updating with new episodes since 190?
My Itunes is updating.

I had no idea there was an Encore Sixshot in the making. Where's that news article?
Silent_Magnus
Some of the '06 classics molds do feel a bit dated, but there are still dozens of guys I'd rather see before I'd want any of them remade.
With the exception of guys that got repaints when they should have been original molds like Ultra Magnus and Blaster.

edit: I know you guys have an irrational bloodrage() towards the concept, but the Shattered Glass version of Circuit Breaker was one of the Decepticon's human sidekicks in the prose fiction. She eventually got powers, but she used the name "Emulator".
Aaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTFReview View Post
I'm still rooting for you guys to join the Windows Phone/Zune marketplace!
We did Zune for a while, but they had some issues with getting RSS feeds to play well with our system, as memory serves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chykin View Post
Any idea why my iTunes has stopped updating with new episodes since 190?
Try unsubscribing, then resubscribing. That worked for me when iTunes quit playing well with Bombcast for me.
StayingInTheBox
I definitely agree about Classics Hot Rod(imus) needing an upgrade. I actually really like the figure, but compared to other figures we've gotten in the Classicsverse he just seems a little behind the curve.

The Seekers? Yeah, I'd take new ones but I don't think they're a priority in my collection.
Sideways77
Actually, I feel I got the better end. Because when the days done, I get a FE figure, and Vangelus recieves DoTM figures I still see on clearence.

But awesome episode.
Hypershock
yea Vangelus, im a big lego guy but i also have some megabloks, yea i do think you get more for your money but all of the megabloks i have end up popping apart because they dont plug together securely. but i do sometimes confuse individual megabloks for legos, that doesnt piss me off i even mix and match some parts cuz megabloks does have some cool stuff. And actually there are caucasian/flesh colored figures
Rikerwota
Nice 1984 reference

I've kinda stopped paying much attention to the FoC hype because it's not coming out on PC and I don't want to get an X-Box just for that game, which is a shame.
xion14
I was so thrown off when I saw Circut Breaker in Secret Wars 2 back when I red it. I had no idea she would just randomly pop up two panels, never to be seen of again after.
Cybermnky
Reasons for Lego's high prices:
1) brand name, pure and simple
2) quality - the tolerances for your standard lego brick are significantly higher than the materials that go into building your house.
QuinJester
I find the image selected for this podcast pleasing.
EmGo316
The funny thing is this isn't the first time I've been mentioned on the podcast, but it's the first time they actually remembered my name. I'll take what I can get LOL
SideswipePrime
Ok on lego, I won't deny that they are expensive, and back when they started changing everything back to yellow skin like 3 years ago rather than have the skin be caucasian i did wonder why they did that but then I figured it out, only star wars and licensed stuff get caucasian skin and everything else that is Lego's property has yellow skin, I guess because it's tradition, but putting a Mega Blocks brick on a Lego brick bothers me personally, since they are different types of plastic, and I like consistency in my lego sets, then again I did put some spare Lego pieces on me Kre-o Sideswipe, so that it will look better, but yeah that will make a ton of people furious if you do that. My opinion on Mega Blocks is I don't like it, I got one TMNT set a while back, and I had nothing but problems, the bricks would not hold together, and when I was trying to get the last brick to stay on, the entire set just broke apart, and I have never bought a Mega Blacks set since, I don't know if they have improved or not, and I probably won't buy any since the majority of it is Halo, and Halo just really isn't my thing, but if they have improved, I might give it another try
nazgul777
Simple answer to the poster above: yes, Mega Bloks has improved greatly. The Halo license has brought them ALOT of money, and all of their brands are top notch quality wise now. I've got a figure from every brand they produce in front of me now, and they're all great.
TrueNomadSkies
All of my Megablocks are mixed in with my Lego, and some of my favorite pieces actually came from my Megablocks shuttle.
StayingInTheBox
I'm gonna have to give Megablocks a try ...
SideswipePrime
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazgul777 View Post
Simple answer to the poster above: yes, Mega Bloks has improved greatly. The Halo license has brought them ALOT of money, and all of their brands are top notch quality wise now. I've got a figure from every brand they produce in front of me now, and they're all great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNomadSkies View Post
All of my Megablocks are mixed in with my Lego, and some of my favorite pieces actually came from my Megablocks shuttle.
Ok then, I guess I'll give them another try
Rexidus
Hey thanks for the tip about Ratchet's eyes. I hadn't even noticed. Luckily I already had my paints out and quickly did his. It really makes his eyes look good.

I took a look and the only other figure I noticed that had this was PRID Megatron. Did I miss any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmGo316 View Post
The funny thing is this isn't the first time I've been mentioned on the podcast, but it's the first time they actually remembered my name. I'll take what I can get LOL
Hopefully this will be some good advertising for your great review channel.
Snark
Hey Vangelus, regarding your Kreo/Lego/Mega comparison, you might want to know that the new Battleship kreo (and presumable the upcoming Transformers) sets show a marked improvement in quality over the early Transformers sets.

Firstly, stickers are now transparent plastic as opposed to the paper stickers used with Transformers. In addition to looking better, they are more forgiving in allowing you to pull them off and reapply them, and presumably are less prone to peeling.

The sets also seem to have been built with more play value in mind. Even the smallest sets have missile launchers and apparently the helicopter set has a rotor gimmick!

Most significant however is the fact that the Kreons are massively improved. Their tolerances are much more consistent, allowing them to interact much more freely with their accessories as well as those made by Lego and Mega. Similarly, other brands can use their weapons and accessories much better now. Furthermore, joint tolerances are much more consistent with fewer loose limbs. Finally, weapons and accessories are now much better made than the sprue-connected ones from the Transformers sets.

In the interest of fairness, you might want to consider getting a Battleship set for comparison. Personally, I would suggest the Alien Strike. It's a lovely looking set, makes a cool counterpoint to the Lego Alien theme and it's even got a claw to grab unsuspecting minifigs!

---

In regard to the differences between the three brands, as someone who buys all three, I find they have their respective strengths and weaknesses.

Lego is the standard maker; they have great designs and have the best QC in the industry. They are however ungodly expensive, and in my opinion, the licensed sets are so stupidly overpriced as to make them not worth the money.

Kreo is my favourite alternative brand. While the set designs are not up to par with Lego yet, the plastic quality and clutch/declutch consistency of the bricks are on equal footing with Lego. Because of the quality, I keep my Kreo bricks with my Lego, and use them interchangeably. Before, I used to say that the Kreons were the weakest link of the brand, but in light of what I've gotten from the Battleship sets that I've bought, they're fast catching up. All in all, a solid brand that looks like they're striving to improve with each new wave.

Mega Bloks is the weakest of the three in terms of brick quality. The plastic is not as good, and the clutch/declutch can be all over the place, which can make building an unpleasant experience at times. That said, between their unique 'camo bricks', the top notch set designs and their trademark articulated minifigs, the brand manages to carve its own identity. However, the weaknesses in plastic quality mean that I buy Mega Bloks purely for the sets, without ever using the bricks in my own builds.
seekerblackout
Megatron totally killed Optimus' sword micron twice.
KnightHawkke
Crazy part about Arms Microns being sentient is they are part of the transformers bodies.. and live inside of the forearms of the larger robots, how do they "sneak out"? I reallllllly do want to see these little clips indeed.
Seth Buzzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikerwota View Post
Nice 1984 reference

I've kinda stopped paying much attention to the FoC hype because it's not coming out on PC and I don't want to get an X-Box just for that game, which is a shame.
I'll say double plus good or un-good in conversation now and then just to see if the person I'm talking to even reacts for the fun of it.
RedAlert Rescue
Perhaps something like :

WTF @ TFW - 193 - (Date of recording) March 30 2012 - [Board posting date : 5th April]

I would arguably help those who stumble into these podcasts by finding TFW2005 off the Transformers Movie's DVD Extra disc's or via social media or Youtube breadcrumbs.

I can't see how you'd be expected to know what is intended rather than what is stated though.

It also might also might help people realise that the recording date of the podcast is not the same as the publication date - The advantage of making that clearer is that if big news comes out the day or so after the recording date then a few less people might be saying "I'm surprised you didn't mention" so much to you folks.
godotislate
Seeing as all board posts are timestamped above every username, I'm not sure what the point of putting the post time in the subject would be.
RedAlert Rescue
Yeah and again the point is that they are making it look like the date that is important and in big letters is the date the thing is published where it's actually the date or recording.

I personally feel it's less confusing to have it the other way around the publishing date as the big date so you see the date and glance at the date on your computer and see it's a close match and so it's probably a new one - where as sometimes there's a 5 day gap between it being recorded and being listed on the site - this is I feel a huge are of potential confusion.

Fine if you can read and understand it but imagine you are a first time potential listener is it really as plain as it could be ?

I happen to think not - which is why I'm mentioning it - glory to those who do understand it but I suspect it's not as obvious as it might be to someone who's learned it.

It's just something I thought as I've been trying to navigate Youtube lately and that site is a complete disaster in terms of design especially the search function and user playlists and categories they often come out totally messed up.

I think a very clear note as to the date or posting and recording on the page show note at a minimum would help. Though as I've implied I personally think the best date to use on the shows is the publishing date not the recording date as it's the way pretty much everyone else does it as far as I've noticed it to date.

No pressure on anyone - it's just an ease of use observation. The reason I make it is that sometimes the date of publication of a thread is not the same as the day something is front paged so a podcast thread actually ends up with 3 dates on it - the date or recording, the date of posting and the date it's front paged. And I do see that as a potential point of confusion for someone new to the site which is the only reason I mentioned it.
MrByatis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlert Rescue View Post
Yeah and again the point is that they are making it look like the date that is important and in big letters is the date the thing is published where it's actually the date or recording.

I personally feel it's less confusing to have it the other way around the publishing date as the big date so you see the date and glance at the date on your computer and see it's a close match and so it's probably a new one - where as sometimes there's a 5 day gap between it being recorded and being listed on the site - this is I feel a huge are of potential confusion.

Fine if you can read and understand it but imagine you are a first time potential listener is it really as plain as it could be ?

I happen to think not - which is why I'm mentioning it - glory to those who do understand it but I suspect it's not as obvious as it might be to someone who's learned it.

It's just something I thought as I've been trying to navigate Youtube lately and that site is a complete disaster in terms of design especially the search function and user playlists and categories they often come out totally messed up.

I think a very clear note as to the date or posting and recording on the page show note at a minimum would help. Though as I've implied I personally think the best date to use on the shows is the publishing date not the recording date as it's the way pretty much everyone else does it as far as I've noticed it to date.

No pressure on anyone - it's just an ease of use observation.
They've been doing it this way for nearly four years and anybody has claimed confusion other than yourself, at least that I know of.
GogDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlert Rescue View Post
Perhaps something like :

WTF @ TFW - 193 - (Date of recording) March 30 2012 - [Board posting date : 5th April]

I would arguably help those who stumble into these podcasts by finding TFW2005 off the Transformers Movie's DVD Extra disc's or via social media or Youtube breadcrumbs.

I can't see how you'd be expected to know what is intended rather than what is stated though.

It also might also might help people realise that the recording date of the podcast is not the same as the publication date - The advantage of making that clearer is that if big news comes out the day or so after the recording date then a few less people might be saying "I'm surprised you didn't mention" so much to you folks.
That would be utterly stupid.

EVERY SINGLE THREAD on TFW shows the publish date. It's called the date of the first post. Its been common knowledge since we started this show we record on Thursday nights. If you can't utilize common sense and understand why there is a date on the show that predates the posting date, then there is literally nothing I can do to help you. We have zero intention of changing a system that literally EVERYONE BUT YOU can grasp. That includes including extra words in the thread title just for you to help you understand it AFTER it's been explained to you.

This is the last time this topic will be discussed. If you have further issues, take it to PM. Have a good day.
Sludge
Quote:
Originally Posted by GogDog View Post
That would be utterly stupid.

EVERY SINGLE THREAD on TFW shows the publish date. It's called the date of the first post. Its been common knowledge since we started this show we record on Thursday nights. If you can't utilize common sense and understand why there is a date on the show that predates the posting date, then there is literally nothing I can do to help you. We have zero intention of changing a system that literally EVERYONE BUT YOU can grasp. That includes including extra words in the thread title just for you to help you understand it AFTER it's been explained to you.

This is the last time this topic will be discussed. If you have further issues, take it to PM. Have a good day.
TedimusPrime
When you guys were trying to fuse your names into the name of your country, it just sounded like a bunch of adult stars.
MrByatis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedimusPrime View Post
When you guys were trying to fuse your names into the name of your country, it just sounded like a bunch of adult stars.
You should see what came about when I tried to fuse "Jeremy" with "wang" on a voicemail I made recently.
CNCBrawl56
Please explain why the Classics Seeker mode is bad now, sure it could use some more articulation, but I think it does a good job at representing the Seekers, plus I only have 2 more to go (Classics 2.0 Starscream and Ramjet)
SearchmanDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCBrawl56 View Post
Please explain why the Classics Seeker mode is bad now, sure it could use some more articulation, but I think it does a good job at representing the Seekers, plus I only have 2 more to go (Classics 2.0 Starscream and Ramjet)
I want to say that mold and Rodimus pre-dated the rest of the Classics molds. I could have sworn it's been mentioned on a previous episode a year or so ago.
guard convoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchmanDS View Post
I want to say that mold and Rodimus pre-dated the rest of the Classics molds. I could have sworn it's been mentioned on a previous episode a year or so ago.
their designs have been around since at least 1998
Secretcode
Quote:
Originally Posted by guard convoy View Post
their designs have been around since at least 1998
Wait, what? Where exactly did you hear this?
T16skyhopp
I think you should date it in the future so people who take a week to get around to listening don't feel bad about taking so long as then they can pretend they are listening to it sooner.
guard convoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretcode View Post
Wait, what? Where exactly did you hear this?
protoman from the thread for WTF@TFW 125

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/wtf-tf...-2010-a-4.html

post 33
Secretcode
Quote:
Originally Posted by guard convoy View Post
protoman from the thread for WTF@TFW 125

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/wtf-tf...-2010-a-4.html

post 33
...huh. I'm actually quite impressed with the Starscream mold now after learning that.
Protoman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretcode View Post
Wait, what? Where exactly did you hear this?
Rodimus AND Starscream were the first Classics toys engineered. The date of 1998 refers to the first time "Classics" was concepted as Heroes of Cybertron, but those 2 designs didn't exist yet. The mold designs of Starscream and Rodimus came about in late 2005, but yes they were indeed the first ones. Notice how they are both more true to their original G1 designs while the rest of the line are deviations................. anyhow read that post I did before =P
guard convoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Rodimus AND Starscream were the first Classics toys engineered. The date of 1998 refers to the first time "Classics" was concepted as Heroes of Cybertron, but those 2 designs didn't exist yet. The mold designs of Starscream and Rodimus came about in late 2005, but yes they were indeed the first ones. Notice how they are both more true to their original G1 designs while the rest of the line are deviations................. anyhow read that post I did before =P
oh, thought you ment the designs were around since then, even then, i knew the date 1998 was related to those two figures in some way

Continue: WTF @ TFW Podcast Episode 193 Now Online Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
Big Bad Toy Store