Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Transformers Collectors Club Collected Edition Volume 1

Posted on 11-26-2012 at 03:50 PM by Sol Fury under Conventions
collection_1_cvr
Last week the Transformers Collector's Club teased that they had an announcement to make and today the lid has been lifted on that reveal. Up for preorder now is the first "Transformers Collectors Club Magazine Collected Edition", collecting the first year's worth of Collectors Club magazines. Unlike the Balancing Act trade paperback which collected the first two years worth of comic strips, this volume presumably contains the magazines in their entirety, the comic strips, the profiles, the features and all the other content. This limited edition volume is priced at $19.99 and features a new cover by Robby Musso, and is available for preorder until 17 December 2012. Check out the preorder listing here.
Views: 3,889 / Credit: 03Mach1, General Tekno of the 2005 Boards!
General Tekno
https://www.toyarama.com/store/-pre-...-1-pc-p396.php

So it looks like the TCC's collecting their magazine in TPB form now - they've put up the 2005 issues (1-6) for preorder in a 100 page TPB.

Reading their listing though, it looks like this isn't just a reprinting of the "Balancing Act" trade from a few years back.... that TPB was the first TWO years of the COMIC.

Going off the page count here, it looks like they're collecting the magazine itself in a TPB, not just the comic pages.

(To editorialize, this strikes me as a "why?" given the only thing I've ever really cared about in their magazine is the fiction. Reprinting the filler content just hurts the ability to read the comic as a continuous story, which worked well in the "Balancing Act" trade.)
Secretcode
EDIT: Eh, that was a bit unnecessary.

Is there anything special about it, outside of some new cover art?
Autovolt 127
Wow they are finally doing a tradeback that's neat....but i don't call it the biggest most exciting news ever.

Kind of a letdown. >.>
Lumpy
Seriously? So I can read old ass articles about upcoming toys from 2005? I'm sorry, but that's fucking stupid. All I want is the comic collected in a trade, like Balancing Act. If this was that, I'd be excited.
General Tekno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretcode View Post
EDIT: Eh, that was a bit unnecessary.

Is there anything special about it, outside of some new cover art?
Doesn't look like it, reading their listing. Heck - for those out there who are interested in the comics alone, it's actually WORSE than Balancing Act as a whole since it reprints less of those.

If the club just straight-up reprints the magazine issues without, say, splicing all the comics together into one cohesive whole, it'll do nothing but take one out of the story when you finish the chapter. Balancing Act reads pretty well as an uninterrupted whole and it's easy to forget it was serialized.

EDIT: It was just pointed out to me that this DOES mean we'll get the character bios reprinted; those weren't in the original Balancing Act trade. If this trade was just comics + bios laid out in that order, I'd probably be more tempted to order it. Interviews and features that are now 7 years old are of no use to to me.
Shatterpoint
Finally!

Best business decision in a while. IMO
Pete@BotCon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt 127 View Post
Wow they are finally doing a tradeback that's neat....but i don't call it the biggest most exciting news ever.

Kind of a letdown. >.>
THAT news comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
StayingInTheBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
THAT new comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
Is it the dates of the convention? That'd be awesome! ... Just saying.
Ikkstakk
I wonder if it'll get solicited through Diamond too.

I don't need it... I have all the individual issues, plus the Balancing Act trade.

What I need (well, what I'd be willing to buy) are trades of the rest of the club fiction.
Deceptigtar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
THAT new comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
that better be saying the location is Chicago.
Autovolt 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
THAT new comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
Wow.

What held back this annoucement of actual news last week anyways?
General Tekno
A question for you Pete, since you're reading this - is the fact that it's a magazine TPB at all related to IDW holding the comic license?

As it occurs to me that making this a MAGAZINE reprint would be a novel way of sidestepping any licensing issues involved in releasing TPBs outside of IDW.
Pete@BotCon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt 127 View Post
Wow.

What held back this annoucement of actual news last week anyways?
Pricing. Couldn't get it confirmed before the Holiday. Wanted to make sure we came in at the $19.99 price point.
Sol Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
THAT news comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
Please tell me it's the dates so I can get those leave dates (provisionally) booked in, assuming it's at a time and place where I can make it.
Omegax80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
THAT news comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptigtar View Post
that better be saying the location is Chicago.
Nah, it's going to be in New Jersey! Yay!!! :sarcasam:
StayingInTheBox
So uh, seriously, is this worth picking up?
03Mach1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
THAT news comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
And just like that, Pete restores hope to the galaxy in one simple post.
General Tekno
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingInTheBox View Post
So uh, seriously, is this worth picking up?
If you can find it I'd suggest the original "Balancing Act" TPB instead. It collects just the comic, and the first two years instead.

But going forward, this is probably the only way they'll be able to print it. The main reason we haven't gotten TPBs since BA was complications involving the IDW comic license that we aren't fully privy to.
Lumpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Tekno View Post
Doesn't look like it, reading their listing. Heck - for those out there who are interested in the comics alone, it's actually WORSE than Balancing Act as a whole since it reprints less of those.

If the club just straight-up reprints the magazine issues without, say, splicing all the comics together into one cohesive whole, it'll do nothing but take one out of the story when you finish the chapter. Balancing Act reads pretty well as an uninterrupted whole and it's easy to forget it was serialized.

EDIT: It was just pointed out to me that this DOES mean we'll get the character bios reprinted; those weren't in the original Balancing Act trade. If this trade was just comics + bios laid out in that order, I'd probably be more tempted to order it. Interviews and features that are now 7 years old are of no use to to me.
the bios would be cool, but this (as it stands now) is not something I care about at all. Maybe for $10, but ultimately I'd pay $20 for 1 comics worth of pages, and that's not worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Tekno View Post
A question for you Pete, since you're reading this - is the fact that it's a magazine TPB at all related to IDW holding the comic license?

As it occurs to me that making this a MAGAZINE reprint would be a novel way of sidestepping any licensing issues involved in releasing TPBs outside of IDW.
maybe that's the case, and that would make more sense, but that's still a really hard sell for me. Seems like the official club should have a way of printing their own trades regardless of the deal with IDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingInTheBox View Post
So uh, seriously, is this worth picking up?
i doubt it, especially if you have Balancing Act already. And if low sales means no more, then you'll never get to finish the story.
Sharpfinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
THAT news comes this week too... Though that is BotCon related.
Nice! We're waiting the news

Regarding the TPB... it costs US$44 to send it through EMS to Brazil. Paying that to buy a $20 book isn't a good deal. So.. no pre-order on this one. Need to wait until it hits the stock and I can combine the shipping with other items.
Kaijumaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Seriously? So I can read old ass articles about upcoming toys from 2005? I'm sorry, but that's f*cking stupid. All I want is the comic collected in a trade, like Balancing Act. If this was that, I'd be excited.
I'm usually the first to blindly jump to the clubs defense when the hate starts but....yeah Kinda gotta agree with everything said here.....and I've bought 'Balancing Act' twice (literally read the first copy to pieces) I would absolutly buy it a third time to get normal TPBs going.....
Chris McFeely
Hmn. I won't be getting this as I have the magazines, but generally, I AM in favour of reprinting more than JUST the comic. The dodgy reviews and outdated articles of the earliest magazine issues, not so much, but the PROFILES will be great to have reprinted alongside the strips, because - especially in the early stages - they would often contain a lot of important supplemental information about the characters that would inform the stories.
juise
Wow, a trade for something that I dont even bother opening. I have like the last 9 club books sitting their unopened mailer envelopes.
IaconStargazer
That's pretty cool news, I suppose. Not exactly to my liking, but cool to know about.
Demonss
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... HAHAHAHAHA

No..
Star Saber
If they only reprinted the comics and the bios, that would've been great, but the old magazine contents? Ehh..not paying for that.
Thundershot
What everyone else said. I'd even pay $20 for JUST the comics and profiles collected, but I don't want the clutter of the magazine/newsletter in it...
Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by juise View Post
Wow, a trade for something that I dont even bother opening. I have like the last 9 club books sitting their unopened mailer envelopes.
That's kind of a silly thing to do. If you're already getting them, they're worth opening just for the comics and bios.
Lumpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijumaster View Post
I'm usually the first to blindly jump to the clubs defense when the hate starts but....yeah Kinda gotta agree with everything said here.....and I've bought 'Balancing Act' twice (literally read the first copy to pieces) I would absolutly buy it a third time to get normal TPBs going.....
Oh yeah, I generally find something I enjoyed in what they do and even through the clusterfuck this year has been for them, I've supported. I want the club to succeed, I honestly do, but this just isn't working for me. I'd love a TPB for each year with extra bios, comic strips and other fun things. Old articles from 2005 interest me not at all. They had their time, no need to reprint.
Sludge
Ehh... not bad. Not the news I was looking for though. Definitely not worth a teaser announcement.
Scantron
I think $20 is a little steep for a collection of 6 eight-page newsletters, especially when all the 'news' and such would be grossly out of date. If they just did collections of the comics and the bios, and brought the price down dramatically, I'd be much more interested. Not interested enough to renew my Club membership again for future volumes, of course, but interested enough to pick up this volume at least. As is, though, I'll pass.
Arsenic
As a fan of TF comics, definitely I want to have this one. But... Limited Edition? Does that mean it is club-member exclusive or US-exclusive?
BigPhill
I want to order this, but not at the shipping rates it's quoting for the UK.

International Economy $52.17
International Priority $57.12
Priority Mail International $41.00
Express Mail International (EMS) $47.65

Where is the Pete signal?

Pete..... Heeeeeelllllpppppp......

Won't this fit in one of those cheap flat rate mailing envelopes? I'm sure they're $14 at the most for International mailings.
Deonasis
^I am sure fixing international shipping charges is high on their agenda.. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Edit: Actually those shipping prices are most likely a mistake but still, the challenge has been set - can FP ship this internationally for < $14???
Arsenic
Great. It requires TCC account to pre-order, and international membership costs $82.00
turmoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Seriously? So I can read old ass articles about upcoming toys from 2005? I'm sorry, but that's fucking stupid. All I want is the comic collected in a trade, like Balancing Act. If this was that, I'd be excited.
well for shits and giggles, look at the company.

They have not done anything that makes sense lately...fucking stupid ideas from a stupid ass company.

They re-lease the Gi Joe con set from 2012 yet no one with a active brain cell thinks to do the same thing with the botcon 2012 set....

not like it would Not sell out again like it did the first time.

fucking tards.
Digilaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmoil View Post
They re-lease the Gi Joe con set from 2012 yet no one with a active brain cell thinks to do the same thing with the botcon 2012 set....

not like it would Not sell out again like it did the first time.
I love how first you say: they should rerelease the 2012 Botcon set!
Immediately followed by: the 2012 Botcon set wouldn't sell!

Am I missing something here?...


Anyway, you can't possible compare the the two, for all we know the process of creating/rereleasing a GI Joe set is way different from a Transformers one. Maybe GI Joes are easier and cheaper to rerelease, maybe there's some kind of mandate from Hasbro that prevents the reuse of a TF mold. Simple truth: we are not involved in this process so it's easy for us to claim things that are simply not true.

You'll have to understand though, that the conventions and exclusive material are the things this club thrives on. It's not a philanthropy company, it's a legitimate business, that paid good money for licenses so they can invest in things that will eventually make them profit. Whether it's run by people who are fans or not is not important in this case.
So what reason would they have to re-release sets (other than leftover stock)? Doing so would only devalue the exclusivity of the sets and would probably impact the amount of visitors for their conventions, as well.


In all fairness, I too think the decisions made by the TFCC are really strange sometimes. There've been a couple of times where I wondered if the Club had maybe lost any sensible touch with the collectors base, or didn't know what the hell they were doing - I know this reads as an insult to those working for TFCC, I'll apologize for that immediately.
But again, truth is: I'm not part of the creation process, so I have no idea just what kind of rules and obstacles they have to work with.


Re-releasing old magazines in TPB form? Sure, why not. I'm not interested in them, and neither do alot of people in this thread, so it seems. But you know what? As these are magazines of an exclusive collectors' club, I'm sure there are people out there who'd love to have the magazines bundled this way, yes, even with the outdated information contained in the articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
Great. It requires TCC account to pre-order, and international membership costs $82.00
Not going into debate about whether or not the memberships are outrageous, it makes perfect sense that a book collection a club's magazines would be exclusive to...erhm, the club.

Sorry to hear you're interested in these but can't easily get them - however, I'm positive you'll be able to find a member here on TFW who's a member and will gladly help you out getting one! I've been offered help by alot of members in the past!
turmoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digilaut View Post
I love how first you say: they should rerelease the 2012 Botcon set!
Immediately followed by: the 2012 Botcon set wouldn't sell!

Am I missing something here?...


Anyway, you can't possible compare the the two, for all we know the process of creating/rereleasing a GI Joe set is way different from a Transformers one. Maybe GI Joes are easier and cheaper to rerelease, maybe there's some kind of mandate from Hasbro that prevents the reuse of a TF mold. Simple truth: we are not involved in this process so it's easy for us to claim things that are simply not true.

You'll have to understand though, that the conventions and exclusive material are the things this club thrives on. It's not a philanthropy company, it's a legitimate business, that paid good money for licenses so they can invest in things that will eventually make them profit. Whether it's run by people who are fans or not is not important in this case.
So what reason would they have to re-release sets (other than leftover stock)? Doing so would only devalue the exclusivity of the sets and would probably impact the amount of visitors for their conventions, as well.


In all fairness, I too think the decisions made by the TFCC are really strange sometimes. There've been a couple of times where I wondered if the Club had maybe lost any sensible touch with the collectors base, or didn't know what the hell they were doing - I know this reads as an insult to those working for TFCC, I'll apologize for that immediately.
But again, truth is: I'm not part of the creation process, so I have no idea just what kind of rules and obstacles they have to work with.


Re-releasing old magazines in TPB form? Sure, why not. I'm not interested in them, and neither do alot of people in this thread, so it seems. But you know what? As these are magazines of an exclusive collectors' club, I'm sure there are people out there who'd love to have the magazines bundled this way, yes, even with the outdated information contained in the articles.


Not going into debate about whether or not the memberships are outrageous, it makes perfect sense that a book collection a club's magazines would be exclusive to...erhm, the club.

Sorry to hear you're interested in these but can't easily get them - however, I'm positive you'll be able to find a member here on TFW who's a member and will gladly help you out getting one! I've been offered help by alot of members in the past!
no i am pointing out yet again FP does dumb ass shit like this magazine.

the Gi Joe Con and botcon are both ran by FP...they are made the same way...they run ideas with proposals for figures and designs by hasbro...hasbro approves and rejects what they want.

then the set gets made.

If FP can re-issue the GI Joe 2012 set then they can reissue the botcon 2012 set also...i was saying that FP being the typical idiot based path of business they seem embarked on cannot see the simplicity in reissuing the botcon set that would obviously sell out again like the original run did.

that was the justification of reissuing the Gi Joe 2012 set (due to high demand and everyone not being able to acquire the figures in the set)

this is a copy and past of the pre-order for the reissue of the gi joe convention set off their store website :



(PRE-ORDER) 2012 3 3/4 GIJoeCon Exclusive Oktober Guard-Operation Bear Trap Convention Set (1 pc) Part Number: 11-13-12
Price: $360.00
This is the second-run of the "sold out" and extremely popular 2012 Operation: Bear Trap!

(PRE-ORDER)(THIS ITEM HAS TO BE ORDERED BY ITSELF IN A SINGLE TRANSACTON PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY OTHER ITEMS TO YOUR CART WHILE ORDERING THIS ITEM)2012 3 3/4 GIJoeCon Exclusive Oktober Guard-Operation Bear Trap Convention Set.

All pre-orders are billed as soon as your order is placed. These are due to arrive in late Spring of 2013. Pre-Order Deadline Monday, December 3, 2012.

END OF copy and paste....

If they can reissue the Gi joe figures then i don't see any excuse as to why the same cannot be done with the current botcon 2012 set.

Same company and same factories are used in China for their orders...
bottom line intent of my post:

FP is doing dumbass things and cannot pull it's head from its ass it seems.
Pete@BotCon
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmoil View Post
no i am pointing out yet again FP does dumb ass shit like this magazine.

the Gi Joe Con and botcon are both ran by FP...they are made the same way...they run ideas with proposals for figures and designs by hasbro...hasbro approves and rejects what they want.

then the set gets made.

If FP can re-issue the GI Joe 2012 set then they can reissue the botcon 2012 set also...i was saying that FP being the typical idiot based path of business they seem embarked on cannot see the simplicity in reissuing the botcon set that would obviously sell out again like the original run did.

that was the justification of reissuing the Gi Joe 2012 set (due to high demand and everyone not being able to acquire the figures in the set)

this is a copy and past of the pre-order for the reissue of the gi joe convention set off their store website :



(PRE-ORDER) 2012 3 3/4 GIJoeCon Exclusive Oktober Guard-Operation Bear Trap Convention Set (1 pc) Part Number: 11-13-12
Price: $360.00
This is the second-run of the "sold out" and extremely popular 2012 Operation: Bear Trap!

(PRE-ORDER)(THIS ITEM HAS TO BE ORDERED BY ITSELF IN A SINGLE TRANSACTON PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY OTHER ITEMS TO YOUR CART WHILE ORDERING THIS ITEM)2012 3 3/4 GIJoeCon Exclusive Oktober Guard-Operation Bear Trap Convention Set.

All pre-orders are billed as soon as your order is placed. These are due to arrive in late Spring of 2013. Pre-Order Deadline Monday, December 3, 2012.

END OF copy and paste....

If they can reissue the Gi joe figures then i don't see any excuse as to why the same cannot be done with the current botcon 2012 set.

Same company and same factories are used in China for their orders...
bottom line intent of my post:

FP is doing dumbass things and cannot pull it's head from its ass it seems.
We called the numbers just right on the 2012 set. It sold out after being available for a couple months. The Oktober Guard set sold out in like a day. We were not able to adjust the numbers for that set like we usually were able to or we would have upped production numbers then. So we made an exception this year and ran a second batch so any fan that wanted the set could still get it.

Just want to make sure you have the FACTS.
Deceptigtar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhill View Post
I want to order this, but not at the shipping rates it's quoting for the UK.

International Economy $52.17
International Priority $57.12
Priority Mail International $41.00
Express Mail International (EMS) $47.65

Where is the Pete signal?

Pete..... Heeeeeelllllpppppp......

Won't this fit in one of those cheap flat rate mailing envelopes? I'm sure they're $14 at the most for International mailings.
this is messed up. there is no way those prices are correct. i have sent many things that are bigger and weigh more over seas for far less than that. sorry that our overseas friends get screwed on shipping.
[Wing_Saber-X]
Wait what? It comes with a possible Botcon 2013 reveal?
MECHADOOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmoil View Post
the Gi Joe Con and botcon are both ran by FP...they are made the same way...they run ideas with proposals for figures and designs by hasbro...hasbro approves and rejects what they want.

then the set gets made.

If FP can re-issue the GI Joe 2012 set then they can reissue the botcon 2012 set also...i was saying that FP being the typical idiot based path of business they seem embarked on cannot see the simplicity in reissuing the botcon set that would obviously sell out again like the original run did.

that was the justification of reissuing the Gi Joe 2012 set (due to high demand and everyone not being able to acquire the figures in the set)

If they can reissue the Gi joe figures then i don't see any excuse as to why the same cannot be done with the current botcon 2012 set.

Same company and same factories are used in China for their orders...
bottom line intent of my post:

FP is doing dumbass things and cannot pull it's head from its ass it seems.
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. If you think G.I. Joe figures and vehicles are anywhere near as complicated to manufacture as Transformers then you are *SORELY* mistaken. Joe figures are essentially a standardized body type, with, what, 3 screws at most? And the average Botcon Transformer has how many screws, springs, ratcheting joints, pins? Add to that the fact that they need to make sure the figure works properly once it's put together. Yeah, the molds may already be created, but it's not as easy to churn out a Transformer as it is to make a Joe.
Pete@BotCon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhill View Post
I want to order this, but not at the shipping rates it's quoting for the UK.

International Economy $52.17
International Priority $57.12
Priority Mail International $41.00
Express Mail International (EMS) $47.65

Where is the Pete signal?

Pete..... Heeeeeelllllpppppp......

Won't this fit in one of those cheap flat rate mailing envelopes? I'm sure they're $14 at the most for International mailings.
We have added the note in the item description. Was accidentally left off. Check the listing now...

https://www.toyarama.com/store/-pre-...-1-pc-p396.php
BigPhill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
We have added the note in the item description. Was accidentally left off. Check the listing now...

https://www.toyarama.com/store/-pre-...-1-pc-p396.php
Thank you, but what am I meant to do?

Order the mag at the expensive shipping cost, and then email for a refund?

Thanks.
Deceptigtar
its says if you need to order it to contact the email at the bottom. so i assume you place the order through email, not the site.
Demonss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
We have added the note in the item description. Was accidentally left off. Check the listing now...

https://www.toyarama.com/store/-pre-...-1-pc-p396.php
I'm not foreign, but really fax ordering or email ordering?

That seems archaic.. The Post office website www.usps.com provides accurate flat rate padded priority envelops that are sized: 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

The cost regardless where internationally they go is $16.95.
I can see the first class option needing to get in contact with you (since it can vary, though I have to think there's an automated way to do this instead of via fax or email), but why not at least have the international flat rate envelopes as an option?

I mean it would make sense to have some automated ordering system that isn't trying to send a package that's over 12x12x12 and weighs over 6 lbs..
I mean if it's a factor of people trying to order something that's not magazines on the flat rate envelope then put a note in that this option is only for magazines, and then when you guys get hte order if there's a problem you can go from there..
xZAOx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonss View Post
I'm not foreign, but really fax ordering or email ordering?

That seems archaic..
Hello! Welcome to the online Transformer community. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Just giving you a friendly greeting, because you must be new to working with TFCC .

Continue: Transformers Collectors Club Collected Edition Volume 1 Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
Toy Arena