Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Ebay Auctions of the Day - Unreleased Botcon Paint Samples

Posted on 12-14-2008 at 05:18 AM by Sol Fury under Conventions
df29_3
Some extremely special pieces of Transformers Convention history have gone up on Ebay, courtesy of Jon and Karl Hartman (of Botcon founding fame). First and foremost is the original paint sample for "Chaos Armor" Defensor, the planned exclusive for OTFCC 2005 that sadly never got made due to 3H's insolvency. Chaos Armor Defensor would have been a second version of the planned Defensor exclusive, made to offset the cost of offering a Super (Leader) Class toy as an exclusive.

Next come original paint samples for three Botcon Wreckers characters who were never intended to be offered as exclusives. Rotorbolt, Devcon, and Alpha Trion were all hand-painted by one of Hasbro's former lead deco artists and are the exact toys pictured in the Botcon Wreckers catalog. These are true pieces of Transformers Convention history!

Next is a piece who did see a release - a pre-production paint sample of Botcon 1999 Windrazor. Unlike the released one, though, this is the test sample that has some slight variations in the paint, such as much more purple on the beast mode head.

The last item is not Botcon related but is still an item of extreme interest for any collector of Transformers, particularly for fans of Beast Wars. This hand-sculpted hardcopy prototype of the Fuzor, Torca, is made at a larger scale than the final produced toy's Beast Mode, and was used to determine the details for the beast mode before it became a toy. This is a true one-of-a-kind piece which gives a rare insight into the creation of this Beast Wars character and the Transformers line as a whole.
Views: 6,321 / Credit: macabremouse and the Hartmans of the 2005 Boards!

Images for Ebay Auctions of the Day - Unreleased Botcon Paint Samples

1a59_3
884c_3
a095_3
de11_3
dfe5_3
e09d_3
e9ae_3
ea88_3
eb86_3
ee93_3
Orion_Prime48
holy SH** that Defensor & Devcon are freakin SWEET!

I demand that if someone wins that DEfensor or Devcon do a gallery I wanna see more
lord ginrai
Whoah, that Torca hardcopy is amazing!
They must've done these kind of maquettes for more toys. I'd love to see more of these!
MegaHavok
Would love to buy one or two but the prices will likely be insane
Polenicus
Hasbro... you want a toy to repaint for Universe?

Defensor. All it'll cost you is a head remold or two.
ElSnarfo
Well I hope the OTFCC remold still exists somewhere in a box in the depts of some forgotten part of Hasbro HQ or something so it can be fished up and released
Deadend
The defensor is rather neat. I'd dig it for universe.
Autovolt 127
finally a chance to win a Devcon!!!!!!!

most likely i won't win.....i still would rather want the slugsliner repaint of him insted
[Wing_Saber-X]
Really dig The Arcee, Alpha Trion and Defensor Wreckers repaints!
Fort Max
That Defensor is a horrible mess of clashing colours imo, black on light blue with gold? No thanks, just paint the whole thing in blue, detail it and sell it as Hotspot/Defensor.
Freyabeads
Quite a collection.
Backscatter
Originally Posted by Fort Max
That Defensor is a horrible mess of clashing colours imo, black on light blue with gold? No thanks, just paint the whole thing in blue, detail it and sell it as Hotspot/Defensor.

Totally agree, Defensor looks garrish and Nukes the Fridge colorful.
Takara_destron
Those are amazing, especially Devcon and Defensor.
Kaye
I think I'm coming out of my "hiatus" for Defensor....one more for the "Kollection."
on_a_warpath
I want that Defensor so badly...
Delphan Rane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
I think I'm coming out of my "hiatus" for Defensor....one more for the "Kollection."
Stranger! Do u still have those Stunticons?

I thought about Defensor, simply because it's from a RID Prime mold. But after looking at more closely, it's seen better days. It would be different if it were molded in colored plastic, but it's painted, and any really good kit basher could probably do the same or a better job with the apps. However, I do have my eye on this one just to see how the auction goes.

The torca and Windrazor do look awesome.
Kaye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphan Rane View Post
Stranger! Do u still have those Stunticons?
Yep, but just barely. Remember, I'm in the Auto Industry and they aren't doing too hot right now!

I agree, it may not be the greatest piece ever. However, I dug this piece when we did the Hasbro tour a couple years ago.

Do me a favor and just "watch" this time so you and I don't jack the price up to $5Gs
Draven
IIRC, that's the Hartmans' eBay name.
And OH GOD YUM DO WANT @ Rotorbolt. These are going to end on a LOT of money.
Deceptigtar
oh man was hoping for a fractyl auction
Delphan Rane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
Yep, but just barely. Remember, I'm in the Auto Industry and they aren't doing too hot right now!

I agree, it may not be the greatest piece ever. However, I dug this piece when we did the Hasbro tour a couple years ago.

Do me a favor and just "watch" this time so you and I don't jack the price up to $5Gs
Yeah, I do remember it on the Hasbro Tour, I even have some pics. I don't think I'll be bidding...but it's so tempting and exciting.

Question, if I repaint one of my RID Primes the same only a little better...would u give me the 5K?

Email me sometime so we can catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
IIRC, that's the Hartmans' eBay name.
It is!
Beastbot X
Yeah, I'd sure love to own even one of these, but obviously these are going to end up being way way WAY too rich for my blood.
KING KONVOY
Definitely like Defensor
lars573
Most of those aren't bad. Save that horrible looking Defensor. I'm sooooo gald that piece of shit was cancelled.
Sol Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
IIRC, that's the Hartmans' eBay name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphan Rane View Post
It is!
Awesome, thanks for the heads up, I'll add that to the frontpage writeup!
Delphan Rane
Wow, haven't seen this much excitement since the Protectobot and Stunticon auctions. $510 with 6.5 days to go.
0R10N P4X
I like Defensor.
Switchblade
Defensor is a bit of a mess, isn't he? The blue is great, but the rest of the colors really don't gel. Vehicle mode especially suffers from all of these different colors. What a cruel thing to do to one of the best Transformer molds ever made.
saberconvoy
Wow

They do look cool. To bad they were not released.
Ktulu
Ahh! Things impossible for me to have!
Malach Ra
I cant see why they would take a BFC and try moding into defensor, couldnt they just take a regular RID prime and do the same. seems like a waste of a perfectly good LD.
Delphan Rane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malach Ra View Post
I cant see why they would take a BFC and try moding into defensor, couldnt they just take a regular RID prime and do the same. seems like a waste of a perfectly good LD.
It's not a BFC, it's a test-shot. If you look closely the blue parts are molded not painted. Also, it was pointed out to me on another board that this is one of two proposed decos for Defensor: Defensor (OTFCC - Transformers Wiki).

Kaye - The one you and I saw at Hasbro in 2007 was the all-blue version, and I think I prefer that over the one that's up for auction right now.
Liokaiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphan Rane View Post
Kaye - The one you and I saw at Hasbro in 2007 was the all-blue version, and I think I prefer that over the one that's up for auction right now.
Yup, this is not the one we saw at Botcon. I'm loving the black on this piece.
Delphan Rane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liokaiser View Post
Yup, this is not the one we saw at Botcon. I'm loving the black on this piece.
Robotmode is great, however truck mode leaves something to be desired.
Vector Sigma
Helloooooooooooooo...
RHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphan Rane View Post
It's not a BFC, it's a test-shot. If you look closely the blue parts are molded not painted.

wrong-o

it's painted
Malach Ra
looks painted to me too. and it is still a BFC, even if they threw some blue molding in there.
Delphan Rane
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHansen View Post
wrong-o

it's painted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malach Ra View Post
looks painted to me too. and it is still a BFC, even if they threw some blue molding in there.
Yeah, ok...if you say so.
ultraconvoy
looks nice.
dark69
damn wish i had the $$ for them
Jon Hartman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphan Rane View Post
Yeah, ok...if you say so.
The blue parts are painted. The yellow version was the only one that was easily accessible at the time to make a paint sample, and you can see the yellow through some of the sections that are chipped away.

One other note: It would have been possible to make a color scheme that looked "cooler" if it was done as a one-off example. However, this version was designed with the restrictions in mind that would have been imposed by being a split-lot run. That means that not every color could have been substituted freely for whatever one might have wanted.
Optimus Prime
I'm going to have to sell quite a few of my rare TFs if I maintain high bid on Rotorbolt...but I think it'd be worth it. It's awesome that these are up for auction.
Thundershot
I wonder if Pete's heart skipped a beat when he saw the name of this thread. Especially since it's unlikely even FP has samples of whatever Botcon set is coming next year.



Chris
Vector Sigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
I wonder if Pete's heart skipped a beat when he saw the name of this thread. Especially since it's unlikely even FP has samples of whatever Botcon set is coming next year.



Chris
Thats actually what I assumed when I first read the title...
Delphan Rane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hartman View Post
The blue parts are painted. The yellow version was the only one that was easily accessible at the time to make a paint sample, and you can see the yellow through some of the sections that are chipped away.

One other note: It would have been possible to make a color scheme that looked "cooler" if it was done as a one-off example. However, this version was designed with the restrictions in mind that would have been imposed by being a split-lot run. That means that not every color could have been substituted freely for whatever one might have wanted.
Thanks for the clarification, and now that u've pointed it out, I do see the yellow parts. I knew some of the blue was pianted because it appears so, however, I was thinking there were some parts that were also molded because the application was so smooth.
Malach Ra
even though it looked like a BFC, some of the parts look like molded blue plastic, except where you could see the black coming thru on the blue, but it made sense cause theres an all blue hotspot/RID Optimus with a defensor head mold out there. The application was smooth, I agree.

God, I want that hard copy.
Kaye
ok, A G already? Really? You guys know what snipping is right? We REALLY don't need it to go that high....

Anyone taking credit for being s****a? Yeah, let me make you a little side offer....lol
Delphan Rane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
ok, A G already? Really? You guys know what snipping is right? We REALLY don't need it to go that high....

Anyone taking credit for being s****a? Yeah, let me make you a little side offer....lol
I'm actually glad the names are hidden on this one, it'll keep ppl from intentionally trying to drive the price up for certain bidders. And yes, doesn't anyone know what sniping is... The auction still has 6 more days left. geez
Malach Ra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphan Rane View Post
I'm actually glad the names are hidden on this one, it'll keep ppl from intentionally trying to drive the price up for certain bidders. And yes, doesn't anyone know what sniping is... The auction still has 6 more days left. geez
i never understood this also, if you want something, wait till the last minute to act, otherwise you could drive the price up on yourself. that torca is becoming more out of reach by the moment.
Kaye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphan Rane View Post
And yes, doesn't anyone know what sniping is... The auction still has 6 more days left. geez
Snipping...sniping...same difference...I can spell I swear...

Didn't someone bid up one of the Protectobots just for giggles when you were bidding on it? What was the resolution of that?

Yeah, this gets too crazy from people driving it up then I'll kitbash the damn thing myself....then sell in on eBay as an "authentic replica"

Isn't it amazing how it automatically adds value when it's a Hartman Auction? Jon, Karl....you should autograph these things.

Continue: Ebay Auctions of the Day - Unreleased Botcon Paint Samples Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
Toy Arena