Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Botcon 2013 Hoist Fix

Posted on 07-03-2013 at 11:43 AM by Tony_Bacala under Conventions
1
Jesse Wittenrich aka @RID_NightViper on Twitter, who represents Fun Pub, posted up a quick how-to for fixing Botcon 2013 Hoist. Some figures were mis-assembled at the factory. By following these instructions, you can rectify the problem which hinders transformation.

Check out the pictures after the break or follow it in full over at the Twitter account.

So many of you probably have noticed that something is wrong with @BotCon Hoist / Electro's torso. There's a #BotConFix for that.

How he looks out of box (for some of you, some didn't have this problem). This is a factory misassembly #BotConFix



There is a small piece inside of his chest that has been placed in there backwards. Thankfully, it's a really easy fix #BotConFix

To start, take out the three screws in the piece that forms the center of his back #BotConFix



Then remove that piece, as well as the chest piece from which you have just unscrewed it #BotConFix



See that little piece of black plastic with a spring underneath it? That is what is backwards #BotConFix

This little bugger here is the cause of all your problems. #BotConFix



There are those little notches in the ends of the piece. You want to stick the piece back in so that those are still visible. #BotConFix

In other words, you want to stick the piece back into the chest with it going in this direction #BotConFix



Screw it all back together and that's it! just one little piece was put in the wrong way. #BotConFix

The fix let's his chest swing into proper place and also give him more head clearance for transformation. #BotConFix
Views: 5,223 / Credit: Computron34 of the 2005 Boards!

Images for Botcon 2013 Hoist Fix

2
3
4
5
xZAOx
Can we get the text for those that have twitter blocked at work? My understanding was it involved removing pins and was pretty complex / difficult for a novice.

I fixed the chest on both Hoist and Electrons easily though. Took 5 minutes each.
Paladine
Good info, thanks
Computron34
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
Can we get the text for those that have twitter blocked at work? My understanding was it involved removing pins and was pretty complex / difficult for a novice.

I fixed the chest on both Hoist and Electrons easily though. Took 5 minutes each.
Sure, give me a second to collect them.
Computron34
So many of you probably have noticed that something is wrong with @BotCon Hoist / Electro's torso. There's a #BotConFix for that.


How he looks out of box (for some of you, some didn't have this problem). This is a factory misassembly #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/xwbyb5B3Pn


There is a small piece inside of his chest that has been placed in there backwards. Thankfully, it's a really easy fix #BotConFix


To start, take out the three screws in the piece that forms the center of his back #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/P7FcNqKPmz


Then remove that piece, as well as the chest piece from which you have just unscrewed it #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/2PcpNfoWpG


See that little piece of black plastic with a spring underneath it? That is what is backwards #BotConFix


This little bugger here is the cause of all your problems. #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/SpGYOXtXIi


There are those little notches in the ends of the piece. You want to stick the piece back in so that those are still visible. #BotConFix


In other words, you want to stick the piece back into the chest with it going in this direction #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/dSjN8a9g9e


Screw it all back together and that's it! just one little piece was put in the wrong way. #BotConFix


The fix let's his chest swing into proper place and also give him more head clearance for transformation. #BotConFix
G.B. Blackrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computron34 View Post
So many of you probably have noticed that something is wrong with @BotCon Hoist / Electro's torso. There's a #BotConFix for that.

How he looks out of box (for some of you, some didn't have this problem). This is a factory misassembly #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/xwbyb5B3Pn

There is a small piece inside of his chest that has been placed in there backwards. Thankfully, it's a really easy fix #BotConFix

To start, take out the three screws in the piece that forms the center of his back #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/P7FcNqKPmz

Then remove that piece, as well as the chest piece from which you have just unscrewed it #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/2PcpNfoWpG

See that little piece of black plastic with a spring underneath it? That is what is backwards #BotConFix

This little bugger here is the cause of all your problems. #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/SpGYOXtXIi

There are those little notches in the ends of the piece. You want to stick the piece back in so that those are still visible. #BotConFix

In other words, you want to stick the piece back into the chest with it going in this direction #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/dSjN8a9g9e

Screw it all back together and that's it! just one little piece was put in the wrong way. #BotConFix

The fix let's his chest swing into proper place and also give him more head clearance for transformation. #BotConFix
Thanks! (And also to Jesse for putting this together in the first place)
G.B. Blackrock
Quick follow-up. This fixes one problem, but I gather this doesn't cover the fact that the shoulders are still reversed.
Computron34
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. Blackrock View Post
Quick follow-up. This fixes one problem, but I gather this doesn't cover the fact that the shoulders are still reversed.
Yes, when he started I thought it was for the shoulder but it's actually for the chest. I changed my first post accordingly.
Sol Fury
A shoulder fix would be helpful, though those pins are nightmares. Might just cut some extra grooves in mine.
G.B. Blackrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Fury View Post
A shoulder fix would be helpful, though those pins are nightmares. Might just cut some extra grooves in mine.
There are two things I've learned from taking BotCon Custom Classes:
  1. I have a new appreciation for the design intricacy of how these toys are put together.
  2. I really hate pins.
Superquad7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computron34 View Post
So many of you probably have noticed that something is wrong with @BotCon Hoist / Electro's torso. There's a #BotConFix for that.


How he looks out of box (for some of you, some didn't have this problem). This is a factory misassembly #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/xwbyb5B3Pn


There is a small piece inside of his chest that has been placed in there backwards. Thankfully, it's a really easy fix #BotConFix


To start, take out the three screws in the piece that forms the center of his back #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/P7FcNqKPmz


Then remove that piece, as well as the chest piece from which you have just unscrewed it #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/2PcpNfoWpG


See that little piece of black plastic with a spring underneath it? That is what is backwards #BotConFix


This little bugger here is the cause of all your problems. #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/SpGYOXtXIi


There are those little notches in the ends of the piece. You want to stick the piece back in so that those are still visible. #BotConFix


In other words, you want to stick the piece back into the chest with it going in this direction #BotConFix pic.twitter.com/dSjN8a9g9e


Screw it all back together and that's it! just one little piece was put in the wrong way. #BotConFix


The fix let's his chest swing into proper place and also give him more head clearance for transformation. #BotConFix
I thought I'd mirror the photos here as well:
Chaos Convoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Fury View Post
A shoulder fix would be helpful, though those pins are nightmares. Might just cut some extra grooves in mine.

Yeah, that's what I did. It's pretty easy to do, as the plastic's pretty soft and rubbery for those particular parts.

I was PISSED when I realized the parts were assembled incorrectly because those kinds of pins are nearly impossible to disassemble without screwing up the plastic badly.
Superquad7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Convoy View Post
Yeah, that's what I did. It's pretty easy to do, as the plastic's pretty soft and rubbery for those particular parts.

I was PISSED when I realized the parts were assembled incorrectly because those kinds of pins are nearly impossible to disassemble without screwing up the plastic badly.
If you or anyone else would like to take photos of that, those can be added here as well. I'd like to be able to resource this as a tutorial soon to help some folks out.
ducti748
Hey funpub how about you eat your profit and fix our toys!!! I didn't fly all the way from Canada to have two figures only be able to do the "Y" from the YMCA pose. Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda B.S.
guard convoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducti748 View Post
Hey funpub how about you eat your profit and fix our toys!!! I didn't fly all the way from Canada to have two figures only be able to do the "Y" from the YMCA pose. Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda B.S.
hey, calm down, i'm all for jumping on funpub, but this was a factory issue on every SINGLE copy of hoist it seems, they are doing their best to figure out how to fix hoist. these are pins, something not that easy to replace without replacing the ENTIRE figure.

that's just not something feesible for funpub to do
LegendAntihero
I've got not problem with the chest either. It's no biggie. The only thing I don't like about FP is them not having forums anymore.
Afterburner
These are very expensive figures. They cannot allow these errors to continue to happen.

If their profits don't pay for quality control, I suggest we stop paying for their profits. What does it take to be the last straw? How many errors and mistakes and mishaps can you accept for a premium price?
ducti748
Quote:
Originally Posted by guard convoy View Post
hey, calm down, i'm all for jumping on funpub, but this was a factory issue on every SINGLE copy of hoist it seems, they are doing their best to figure out how to fix hoist. these are pins, something not that easy to replace without replacing the ENTIRE figure.

that's just not something feesible for funpub to do
Don't mean to come off like I'm jumping off the deep end. Just little choked cause its hard earned money. That could be lap dance money
autobotsrollout
I spend that type of money for a figure, I think its fair not to have such a huge quality problem or in some cases two huge problems.

Thankfully I have a pin pusher.. and for those of you who dont, it only cost me like 1.50$ at home depot to get one.
Thundershot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner View Post
These are very expensive figures. They cannot allow these errors to continue to happen.

If their profits don't pay for quality control, I suggest we stop paying for their profits. What does it take to be the last straw? How many errors and mistakes and mishaps can you accept for a premium price?
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobotsrollout View Post
I spend that type of money for a figure, I think its fair not to have such a huge quality problem or in some cases two huge problems.

Thankfully I have a pin pusher.. and for those of you who dont, it only cost me like 1.50$ at home depot to get one.
They money we pay has nothing to do with "better quality control". They're built in the same exact lines that make the Hasbro ones. We're paying for a really small run. The smaller the run, the more it costs per unit. I don't blame FP in the slightest. Kudos for them for giving us a fix for at least one of the problems.
Omegatron
While this may not be FunPun's fault, it is their responsibility to fix this. This should include a full voluntary recall of all Hoist and Electro toys sold, and sending pre-paid shipping boxes to the buyers. They can then pay someone to fix them, and bill the factory for their costs But selling $50+ toys that they KNOW are misassembled, and then saying, 'Well, we know there's a problem, too bad for you. Here's a fix for one of the problems on Twitter. Now go away, we're counting our money' is unacceptable. A proper solution needs to be offered.
RavX
It would be nice if Pete would weigh in here on if FubPub plans to do anything to correct these ....
Thundershot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
While this may not be FunPun's fault, it is their responsibility to fix this. This should include a full voluntary recall of all Hoist and Electro toys sold, and sending pre-paid shipping boxes to the buyers. They can then pay someone to fix them, and bill the factory for their costs But selling $50+ toys that they KNOW are misassembled, and then saying, 'Well, we know there's a problem, too bad for you. Here's a fix for one of the problems on Twitter. Now go away, we're counting our money' is unacceptable. A proper solution needs to be offered.
In the end, it's just a toy. An expensive one because of the size of the run. Unless the factory were willing to compensate, I don't expect FP to put themselves out of business over an error that wasn't even their fault. They're a small company... They could offer a recall and refund maybe $40, but you would have NO Hoist or Electro because there's no way in hell it would be feasible to make another run.. That would be thousands of dollars. Again, it could put them out of business.

I'd rather have a defective (minor and fixable to an extent) Hoist and Electro than none at all. I also wouldn't want to help put a company out of business because my toys aren't perfect.
G.B. Blackrock
Did we expect Hasbro to recall all of those Universe Buzzclaws that had their mandibles reversed?

Heck, I don't even remember anyone asking Fun Pub to recall their Botcon 2005 versions that later had the same problem.

Some things just aren't worth the bother.
Omegatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
In the end, it's just a toy. An expensive one because of the size of the run. Unless the factory were willing to compensate, I don't expect FP to put themselves out of business over an error that wasn't even their fault. They're a small company... They could offer a recall and refund maybe $40, but you would have NO Hoist or Electro because there's no way in hell it would be feasible to make another run.. That would be thousands of dollars. Again, it could put them out of business.

I'd rather have a defective (minor and fixable to an extent) Hoist and Electro than none at all. I also wouldn't want to help put a company out of business because my toys aren't perfect.
I'm not saying they should refund the money...just pay for them to be fixed. Then they canbe compensated by the factory. This doesn't put them out of business, but makes them seem like a more responsible company. What about next time, when maybe the figure can't transform, or is missing its feet? At what point do the factory errors stop being justifiable on premium-priced figures?
G.B. Blackrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
I'm not saying they should refund the money...just pay for them to be fixed. Then they canbe compensated by the factory. This doesn't put them out of business, but makes them seem like a more responsible company. What about next time, when maybe the figure can't transform, or is missing its feet? At what point do the factory errors stop being justifiable on premium-priced figures?
Factory... is not gonna compensate them.

Paying to be fixed... possibly could end up being MORE expensive than refunding the money, especially after accounting for shipping.
StayingInTheBox
There is ZERO chance for FunPub to do the "recall" that is being suggested in this thread. Not even Hasbro or Takara would do that. That's honestly ridiculous.

The figure(s) are fine. This chest fix is an awesome thing to bring to light to the fandom. The shoulders are factory issue and do not effect the figure (unless you're REALLY picky). FunPub is not sitting in Texas laughing at us while counting their money ... let's not go over the top.
WhiteMocha
I'm just glad to see I wasn't going nuts, and that the chest actually was not functioning properly. I didn't have a Kup handy to compare at the time, but I was thinking, "boy, it sure seems like this belly piece is supposed to swing all the way forward, but it feels like it's about to break..."

Anyway, fixing it isn't a big deal. No line has perfect quality control. I'll sure take this over the QC issue that plagues the original Electro!
Lody666
Lots of quality issues this year from both BotCon and Joe Con exclusives....
Boy Blunder
Didn't even know there was an issue with the chest, but that makes a hell of a lot of sense in retrospect. I think I'll fix that when I get home.
archieboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobotsrollout View Post
I spend that type of money for a figure, I think its fair not to have such a huge quality problem or in some cases two huge problems.

Thankfully I have a pin pusher.. and for those of you who dont, it only cost me like 1.50$ at home depot to get one.
Is this what you meant?
AAarcher221
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMocha View Post
I'm just glad to see I wasn't going nuts, and that the chest actually was not functioning properly. I didn't have a Kup handy to compare at the time, but I was thinking, "boy, it sure seems like this belly piece is supposed to swing all the way forward, but it feels like it's about to break..."

Anyway, fixing it isn't a big deal. No line has perfect quality control. I'll sure take this over the QC issue that plagues the original Electro!


Gladly.
Maetel
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingInTheBox View Post
There is ZERO chance for FunPub to do the "recall" that is being suggested in this thread. Not even Hasbro or Takara would do that. That's honestly ridiculous.

The figure(s) are fine. This chest fix is an awesome thing to bring to light to the fandom. The shoulders are factory issue and do not effect the figure (unless you're REALLY picky). FunPub is not sitting in Texas laughing at us while counting their money ... let's not go over the top.
except if you bought a defective transformers at target or walmart you can return it for refund or exchange, then target/walmart will get returned merchandise credits from hasbro the manufacturer. if target and walmart keep getting the same toys returned due to defect do you think hasbro would just tell them, yeah too bad tough shit, just partially fix it yourself, no credits. i don't think some kind of compensation/replacement is unreasonable if full on recall is unfeasible.
G.B. Blackrock
I can't imagine Hasbro giving money back to Fun Pub over this particular issue.

Frankly, nor can I imagine more than a small handful of people taking a Hoist-like toy back to Target or Walmart over these particular defects. Neither the shoulders nor the chest thing are all that noticeable compared to the kinds of defects I usually hear people doing that kind of thing over.

Full disclosure: I did take my Hoists (I got the loose set, too) to the Information Desk first thing the morning after I noticed the problem. The guys there are generally very good about doing what they can to fix problems. After they explained to me the precise nature and extent of the problem, I understood that it would not be feasible to push harder on these particular issues. Since getting home, I've already fixed the chest, and I'm considering whether or not the shoulders are worth the bother.
videriant
Did Takara every do anything about the $80 Classics Thundercracker with the loose and tight pegs? Did Takara replace every single MP Rodimus v1? Hasbro went ahead and released that horrible witch of a face that was Madame Viper. Matty sometimes doesn't produce enough toys for its suscription service.

I know this situation sucks but keep in mind that Hasbro, Takara, Walmart and TRU are diversified enough to take a hit every now and then and they don't even bother. FunPub taking a hit like this could put them out of business. And while FunPub is far from perfect, another company would have to start from ground level in building it's relationship with Hasbro and this type of problem STILL wouldn't be fixed.

There's kind of a buyer beware when dealing with FunPub. Choose to deal or not deal with them in the future as your form of protest but any TF club fixing an error of this magnitude is unfeasible.
Maetel
still, people spent hundreds to thousands flying to your* convention, some basic 'we know there's some minor but widespread quality control issue with this guy, unfortunately complete replacement would be too costly and impractical so here's some freebie/discount for your next club purchase, sorry for the inconvenience.' would have been appropriate.

*you(r) as in fun publishing, not you the reader.
Boy Blunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetel View Post
except if you bought a defective transformers at target or walmart you can return it for refund or exchange, then target/walmart will get returned merchandise credits from hasbro the manufacturer. if target and walmart keep getting the same toys returned due to defect do you think hasbro would just tell them, yeah too bad tough shit, just partially fix it yourself, no credits. i don't think some kind of compensation/replacement is unreasonable if full on recall is unfeasible.
You're comparing TFCC to corporate retail outlets.

Think about this for a moment, please.

I think it sucks about the shoulders, big time, but TFCC is simply not the kind of body that can fix something like this, especially when it's something that was wholly out of their hands. If it had been caught early in the run, I imagine it would have been fixed, but to try and fix it after they had all the product delivered to them like that would have required a delay on their product for Botcon. And trying to recompense after the fact would be a financial nightmare that could go south in any number of ways, since the manufacturing takes place across the Pacific.

As for the idea of a freebie/discount, I don't know that it's beyond the realm of possibility, but keep in mind that we are only three days after the end of Botcon. If they offer that, it'll take a bit longer and be part of a larger press release to all club members, more than likely.
videriant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetel View Post
still, people spent hundreds to thousands flying to your* convention, some basic 'we know there's some minor but widespread quality control issue with this guy, unfortunately complete replacement would be too costly and impractical so here's some freebie/discount for your next club purchase, sorry for the inconvenience.' would have been appropriate.

*you(r) as in fun publishing, not you the reader.
That would be a more appropriate response. What kind of freebie would be reasonably priced to produce and ship to appease the fans?
StayingInTheBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetel View Post
except if you bought a defective transformers at target or walmart you can return it for refund or exchange, then target/walmart will get returned merchandise credits from hasbro the manufacturer. if target and walmart keep getting the same toys returned due to defect do you think hasbro would just tell them, yeah too bad tough shit, just partially fix it yourself, no credits. i don't think some kind of compensation/replacement is unreasonable if full on recall is unfeasible.
Apples to oranges man. This is not the same as buying a retail Transformer from Target - BotCon is a collector focused show.

Walmart and Target take back those figures because they don't know better. These figures do not need replaced or compensated. You have a full tutorial on how to fix the chest issue and the shoulder issue is nitpicking.
StayingInTheBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by videriant View Post
That would be a more appropriate response. What kind of freebie would be reasonably priced to produce and ship to appease the fans?
Not gonna happen, especially since FunPub is in the discussion. They could sell Masterpiece Transformers for 1/5 the cost and fans would shit on them.
G.B. Blackrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetel View Post
still, people spent hundreds to thousands flying to your* convention, some basic 'we know there's some minor but widespread quality control issue with this guy, unfortunately complete replacement would be too costly and impractical so here's some freebie/discount for your next club purchase, sorry for the inconvenience.' would have been appropriate.

*you(r) as in fun publishing, not you the reader.
Again, it's really not that big a problem. Yes, it's widespread, but it hardly cripples the toy. A bonus freebie discount would have been nice, but I don't think expecting it is at all reasonable.
CodeXCDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAarcher221 View Post
So in other words... NEVER make Electro updates. The character is cursed.
Maetel
i didn't go to botcon and didn't buy the toys except one skywarp off ebay, so i don't really have a stake in this, i'm just saying just because botcon/funpub is not full retail scale operation giving them a complete free pass over quality control issue (sure they're minor) is kind of weird. they messed up and it's up to them to at least ameliorate the problem, surely 'here's some pictures, now go fix it yourself' isn't the only feasible action they can take. when people disassemble their toys they risk having small parts fly off and just disappear or breaking parts that were already stressed during assembly. the solution to the problem shouldn't introduce even more potential problems.
Boy Blunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetel View Post
i didn't go to botcon and didn't buy the toys except one skywarp off ebay, so i don't really have a stake in this, i'm just saying just because botcon/funpub is not full retail scale operation giving them a complete free pass over quality control issue (sure they're minor) is kind of weird. they messed up and it's up to them to at least ameliorate the problem, surely 'here's some pictures, now go fix it yourself' isn't the only feasible action they can take. when people disassemble their toys they risk having small parts fly off and just disappear or breaking parts that were already stressed during assembly. the solution to the problem shouldn't introduce even more potential problems.
As someone who did go to Botcon and did get Hoist, I think that it's acceptable in the face of how widespread the assembly error is, especially since the error was out of their hands when it happened and would require a complete do-over of an entire figure's run - a figure that needed to be ready to go by an agreed-upon date. The assembly error is not debilitating, and does not affect transformation (and, really, doesn't affect posing a whole lot, either).

Also, the disassembling part is for the chest fix, and solely involves screws. It's pretty easy to get that part right.
Maetel
looks like it involves a piece of tiny spring - i remember crawling on the carpet for 2 hours looking for a tiny spring that popped off when i opened up a ratcheted joint, was not fun.

if most of you guys that got hoist don't really mind the problem who am i to act like 'a concerned citizen'. did the sergeant kup have the same assembly problem?
optimusprime24
It is mind boggling to me that anyone can actually defend Fun Pub for this. They sold a product that was defective, and worse, it sounds like they knew it was defective when they sold it. Sadly this does not surprise me at all. This is after all the company that sold SG Drift with two of the same guns and said, ďwell, we said youíd get two, but we never said one of each.Ē Pathetic.

This is disgusting and greedy. If Fun Pub had any decency they would be completely ashamed of this and would provide replacements to everyone. They could certainly afford it after raping the fanís wallets all these years.
videriant
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingInTheBox View Post
Not gonna happen, especially since FunPub is in the discussion. They could sell Masterpiece Transformers for 1/5 the cost and fans would shit on them.
Too right! $20 for a MP Sideswipe with paint problems! Travesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetel View Post
i didn't go to botcon and didn't buy the toys except one skywarp off ebay, so i don't really have a stake in this, i'm just saying just because botcon/funpub is not full retail scale operation giving them a complete free pass over quality control issue (sure they're minor) is kind of weird. they messed up and it's up to them to at least ameliorate the problem, surely 'here's some pictures, now go fix it yourself' isn't the only feasible action they can take. when people disassemble their toys they risk having small parts fly off and just disappear or breaking parts that were already stressed during assembly. the solution to the problem shouldn't introduce even more potential problems.
Full retail scale operation does come into play. Botcon is a small business in a niche market catering to people who use retail prices as the comparison point. If you look at Blackrock's datasheets the retail multiplier for Botcon figures is usually in the 2x-3x range. That's horrendously small for a niche player so while FP might still be getting a healthy profit for a small business, it's getting a horrible multiplier for a niche player. It can't cover issues like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprime24 View Post
It is mind boggling to me that anyone can actually defend Fun Pub for this. They sold a product that was defective, and worse, it sounds like they knew it was defective when they sold it. Sadly this does not surprise me at all. This is after all the company that sold SG Drift with two of the same guns and said, “well, we said you’d get two, but we never said one of each.” Pathetic.

This is disgusting and greedy. If Fun Pub had any decency they would be completely ashamed of this and would provide replacements to everyone. They could certainly afford it after raping the fan’s wallets all these years.
It's not so much defending the company as defending the situation.

First, fans do not have a knife to their throat forcing them to buy. Secondly, there is ZERO proof of greediness. They are making a nice profit surely, but people who do not grasp the concept of economies of scale keep comparing their products to $10 retail products which they are not and associating that with greediness.
Boy Blunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetel View Post
did the sergeant kup have the same assembly problem?
Not to my knowledge. I don't have Kup or Swerve in front of me, so I can't say for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprime24 View Post
It is mind boggling to me that anyone can actually defend Fun Pub for this. They sold a product that was defective, and worse, it sounds like they knew it was defective when they sold it. Sadly this does not surprise me at all. This is after all the company that sold SG Drift with two of the same guns and said, ďwell, we said youíd get two, but we never said one of each.Ē Pathetic.

This is disgusting and greedy. If Fun Pub had any decency they would be completely ashamed of this and would provide replacements to everyone. They could certainly afford it after raping the fanís wallets all these years.
Because we know exactly how much of the money is profit, as opposed to covering production costs on exclusive runs of figures with new toolings/molds.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still waiting to see Takara issue an apology for the misassembled Arms Micron Unicron's knees. I believe that assembly error is present in every single run of the figure? Hell, TFCC fixed the error present in the Cybertron Ransack mold when using it for Rattrap.

I'm not defending FunPub so much as I'm defending why the idea of a mass recall/refund/attempt at repair is kind of ludicrous, at least from a financial standpoint if not a purely rational one.
xZAOx
Honestly, these issues are minor. Chest is fixed in five minutes, Shoulders can be semi-fixed easily by making some groves.

How about the fact that Thundercracker was supposed to glow in the dark and Electrons was supposed to be covered in gold paint? Now THOSE are factory screw ups.
optimusprime24
Quote:
Originally Posted by videriant View Post
Too right! $20 for a MP Sideswipe with paint problems! Travesty.



Full retail scale operation does come into play. Botcon is a small business in a niche market catering to people who use retail prices as the comparison point. If you look at Blackrock's datasheets the retail multiplier for Botcon figures is usually in the 2x-3x range. That's horrendously small for a niche player so while FP might still be getting a healthy profit for a small business, it's getting a horrible multiplier for a niche player. It can't cover issues like this.



It's not so much defending the company as defending the situation.

First, fans do not have a knife to their throat forcing them to buy. Secondly, there is ZERO proof of greediness. They are making a nice profit surely, but people who do not grasp the concept of economies of scale keep comparing their products to $10 retail products which they are not and associating that with greediness.
I canít imagine anyone thinking the toys should cost retail price. Of course theyíre going to cost more, the issue is how much more. No one is saying they donít need to make a profit.

Theyíre making how many toys this year? 6 subscriptions, carded Depthcharge, 5 in the box set, 7 souvenirs, thatís 19 toys (plus club and con freebies). Itís virtually a license to print money.

Why is it that they donít let attendees preorder the souvenir toys? Itís because you have to go to their store before the convention opens, while everyone has money in their pockets and the dealer room is closed. They have a captive audience to sell more stuff to. There is no other reason not to allow people to preorder the souvenirs.

What do you call jacking up the price of registration to cover the cost of an online registration system that they should have had years earlier? Thatís a business expense. You donít blatantly overcharge people to pay for something.

How about making people pay for bubble wrap? How about a charge for processing a credit card? These are costs that are part of doing business. Itís petty and greedy and there is no other word for it.

As far as it not being feasible to replace the figures, they should never have sold them in the first place knowing they were defective. That is unconscionable.

The idea of them as a small business is laughable. They put on two major conventions each year, they have an international relationship with ehobby to sell their products in Japan, an online store, a subscription service, etc. Iím not saying theyíre a huge company, but this is no small business either.

And to play devilís advocate for just a minute, letís say they really actually canít afford to replace the toys and would go bankrupt. I donít believe it for a moment, but letís say itís true. How much would it have cost them to exchange the Shattered Glass Drift guns for people rather than giving that stupid answer they did? It would have been a fraction of the cost to replace a whole toy. There is absolutely no way that would have horribly damaged their bottom line, or set them into bankruptcy, and they didnít do that either.

Greed is the only answer.

Continue: Botcon 2013 Hoist Fix Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
Tempting Collectibles for Transformers and Godzilla