Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Botcon 2012 Comic Panel

Posted on 03-29-2012 at 09:07 AM by Sol Fury under Conventions
ApKLSg5CMAICgYL
Botcon have tweeted a panel of art from this year's comic. In this panel we see a squad of Autobots under the leadership of Metalhawk ready for battle - including such classic characters as Wheeljack, Tracks, Jazz, Warpath and Scoop (a 1988 Targetmaster!), all in the style of their Generation 1 toys / models. Check it out here.
Views: 3,636 / Credit: G1Wheeljack of the 2005 Boards!
Kaijumaster
Coooool!
TheBigMachine
I hope that's not a hint at a Cybertron Landmine repaint (again).
Star Saber
Isn't it kind of ironic given this year's theme is supposed to be Shattered Glass vs Classics-verse, we're getting non-Classics versions of Jazz, Wheeljack, Warpath and Tracks in the comic
ZacWilliam
Yay for Double Targetmasters.

Love to see less used guys like that get some spotlight.


-ZacWilliam, as long as they aren't there just for body count of course.
Chris McFeely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Saber View Post
Isn't it kind of ironic given this year's theme is supposed to be Shattered Glass vs Classics-verse, we're getting non-Classics versions of Jazz, Wheeljack, Warpath and Tracks in the comic
Well, I think the character choice is pretty obviously quite deliberate - good odds on them getting blown up in the course of the story and rebuilt in their RTS/Generations bodies.
salmonman78
Very interesting. Wonder if perhaps like above said, they will be redone into their ClassicRTS bodies after some event..
Lumpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigMachine View Post
I hope that's not a hint at a Cybertron Landmine repaint (again).
i doubt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonman78 View Post
Very interesting. Wonder if perhaps like above said, they will be redone into their ClassicRTS bodies after some event..
i hope so, but even if they aren't, it's still cool to see those characters...
MegaHavok
wow, metalhawk doesnt even look right in their own comic
Protoman
Wait a minute.... ain't that Marlboor Wheeljack?

Anyhow shame they didn't put the red on Metalhawk's fin like it was rumored.
Obsidian X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigMachine View Post
I hope that's not a hint at a Cybertron Landmine repaint (again).
I'd buy that! I like that mold. Landmine is my classics Scoop, colors be damned.
TheBigMachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian X View Post
I'd buy that! I like that mold. Landmine is my classics Scoop, colors be damned.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be an appropriate mold for Scoop. I'm just saying, I hate Cybertron keys...
Girl Pants
Using Landmine for Scoop would be a bit lazy as they re-purposed Grindcore, a Landmine redeco as SG Scoop.

I'm hoping that if we do get one Double Targetmaster that maybe those rumors of a Spinister are true too, and we'd get one for each faction.
payton34
Knowing my luck, the one figure I would possibly be interested in getting (Scoop) would end up being the freebie, meaning it'll go for crazy aftermarket prices.
Gryph
Why are they using the cartoon models for Wheeljack, Tracks, Jazz, and Warpath? This is supposed to be Classicsverse.
G.B. Blackrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
Why are they using the cartoon models for Wheeljack, Tracks, Jazz, and Warpath? This is supposed to be Classicsverse.
Were the Marvel comics models markedly different?
Yobuster
Looks like Targetmaster Scoop is going to be one of the exclusives this time around.
I wonder how they are going to get the target master action going?
scubaboy31
actually that's wheeljacks marvel colour scheme as opposed to the cartoon.
Pete@BotCon
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaboy31 View Post
actually that's wheeljacks marvel colour scheme as opposed to the cartoon.
Yes, the ref that was provided was all Marvel ref. Carried over pretty well...
Autovolt 127
Cool.
[Wing_Saber-X]
Wreckers Ver. 2?!! nice art, as usual. makes me wanna put all the Classics verse Jazz/ Tracks / Warpath and WJ when my Botcon Metalhawk arrives!
Oracle_Aesir
So this story is partially set in the Classics universe, yet none of these guys use their Generations/Universe/Classics toys? Really?
Chris McFeely
For Christ's sake. Do you REALLY think that out of eight years' worth of G1 characters they could have put in this panel who HAVEN'T been done up in new RTS/Generation bodies that they DELIBERATELY chose four guys who HAVE and then actively decided not to draw them in those bodies? I'll eat this HAT if the story isn't about how they get reformatted somehow. There's a fucking vat of Rarefied Energon, the magic god juice that Transformer bodies are BUILT OUT OF, sitting in their base!
Thundershot
Too bad the chance of us getting a new Scoop toy is between slim and none. We were told no AEC toys...
CrockAlley
I'm still baffled that they chose to set the Classics stories in the Marvel G1 universe, but both Botcon stories have major characters that didn't appear in Marvel G1. Ultra Magnus. Elita One. Metalhawk. Overlord. I think that's weird.
Pete@BotCon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockAlley View Post
I'm still baffled that they chose to set the Classics stories in the Marvel G1 universe, but both Botcon stories have major characters that didn't appear in Marvel G1. Ultra Magnus. Elita One. Metalhawk. Overlord. I think that's weird.
How is that any more weird than Kroc showing up in Issue 76? Or Carnivac and Snarler in Issue 51? And so on and so on... New characters were introduced in probably more than half the issues through the original 80 issue run... If we introduce 7 or 8 over a 5 year period I think that is ok
G.B. Blackrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
How is that any more weird than Kroc showing up in Issue 76? Or Carnivac and Snarler in Issue 51? And so on and so on... New characters were introduced in probably more than half the issues through the original 80 issue run... If we introduce 7 or 8 over a 5 year period I think that is ok
I don't want to get into this too much more (most of what I've needed to say I said years ago), but I don't think the proportion of "introduced characters" to "5 year period" accurately represents the criticism (if criticism is the right word) here. It's more like "7 or 8 characters introduced in 2 or 3 issues," because it's not like we're getting tons of new Classicverse stories that whole time....

Even there, one might (rightly) suggest that whole waves of characters were sometimes introduced in a single issue. But if someone finds it jarring when such happens, I can hardly blame them for saying something about it.
CrockAlley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete@BotCon View Post
How is that any more weird than Kroc showing up in Issue 76? Or Carnivac and Snarler in Issue 51? And so on and so on... New characters were introduced in probably more than half the issues through the original 80 issue run... If we introduce 7 or 8 over a 5 year period I think that is ok
It's not new characters that I find strange. The New World, that was like an old issue of Marvel: a story to introduce a bunch of current toys (Classics Mini-Cons).

What the Classics BotCon stories do is introduce a bunch of old characters that were never part of Marvel G1 (USA). The club did do a bunch of Marvel-related stories, like Cheap Shots and At Fight's End. But BotCon 2012 is the opposite of that. A story set in Marvel G1, staring Metalhawk and Overlord? Weird!

Continue: Botcon 2012 Comic Panel Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
TFSource.com