Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Transformers Prime Rage of the Dinobots Preview

Posted on 11-23-2012 at 03:56 PM by Sol Fury under Comics
prv14337_cov
Comic Book Resources has posted a preview of Transformers Prime Rage of the Dinobots issue #1. This second miniseries set in the Transformers Prime universe is set between season 2 and 3 of Transformers Prime and introduces the Dinobots from Transformers Fall of Cybertron into the Transformers Prime portion of the Aligned Continuity family. There are also appearances from a couple of other major characters as well - check out the preview for a taste of what is in store, then pick up the whole book next Wednesday / Thursday in your local comic shop!
Views: 5,900 / Credit: Sockie of the 2005 Boards!

Images for Transformers Prime Rage of the Dinobots Preview

prv14337_pg1
prv14337_pg10
prv14337_pg2
prv14337_pg4
prv14337_pg5
prv14337_pg6
prv14337_pg7
prv14337_pg8
prv14337_pg9
Argentenoboy
Wait, what?

So, Sludge is alive, Blast Off's dead (or it's a drone that looks like him) and there's Ultra Magnus in here?

Now im confused
Digilaut
Oh look! Two giant inconsistencies with War for and Fall of Cybertron within the first three or so pages. I'd like to see Habro try and say this is all still in continuity...

Looks fun though! Artwork is much better than in the previous Dinobots-centric book Might have to check this out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentenoboy View Post
Wait, what?

Blast Off's dead (or it's a drone that looks like him)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a drone/generic. Same body as Blastoff, though.
Shatterpoint
Goddammit Grimlock! You've robbed us of having anymore Bruticus!

And why the hell is Sludge there?

And why the hell is Ultra Magnus flying a VERY Earthlike VTOL?

Five pages in and this comic is already pissing me off! It's just as bad as the FOC prequel comic!
Bountyan
Uh...so how did Sludge get revived and turn into a dinosaur again?

Same continuity my ass.
spiritprime
Holy crap! Magnus looks just like his toy! Oh nelly!
Ra88
That Shockwave cover is absolutely horrendous. Not even a hi-res screenshot?
kaijuguy19
Looks cool so far. The art's nice and great to see Ultra Magnus here.

As for the complaints about continuity let's just see if the comic explains all of that first before writing it off as such. This is supposed to explain what happened in between the show and the game so until they didn't explain why Sludge is alive again and how Grimlock is back in action in it's entire run let's read it first.
shroobmaster
5 pages where nothing happens?

is this a Mike Costa unreleased issue?
Fallout
that was boring.
Shatterpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyan View Post
Uh...so how did Sludge get revived and turn into a dinosaur again?

Same continuity my ass.
It's the Aligned continuity.

First Rule: "DON'T EXPECT ANY CONTINUITY!"
General Tekno
Art looks fine.

And I can accept minor inconsistencies from WFC/FOC if only because "Continuity family" doesn't mean "everything ties in to everything perfectly".

Eg, last I checked Marvel US' backstory wasn't a prequel to Sunbow's.
Shatterpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Tekno View Post
Art looks fine.

And I can accept minor inconsistencies from WFC/FOC if only because "Continuity family" doesn't mean "everything ties in to everything perfectly".

Eg, last I checked Marvel US' backstory wasn't a prequel to Sunbow's.
Except Rage is supposed to tie into the show.
Noise Maker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterpoint View Post
Except Rage is supposed to tie into the show.
Yes. Doesn't mean it ties into the game.
Bountyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterpoint View Post
It's the Aligned continuity.

First Rule: "DON'T EXPECT ANY CONTINUITY!"
Yup. "Continuity family" is a much more accurate term, but they keep calling it a continuity. Can't be a continuity if it isn't continuous. They advertise this as linking the games and the show together. Being a prequel to the show maybe, but linking the games? Yeah, no.
General Tekno
Besides, this is already contradicting FOC in a big way in that the game has the Ark as the LAST transport to leave. Here there's transports leaving AFTER the Ark has gone (given Grimlock has his dinosaur mode).

It fits with what Prime is doing though, especially given the writers of the mini are writers on Prime with a few episodes each to their belts.
excelhedge
Ok People the comic Clearly says Tranformers PRIME, this the PRIME Version of the Dinobots, Not fall of cybertron.

Stop comparing the two and enjoy the comic.
jackgaughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelhedge View Post
Ok People the comic Clearly says Tranformers PRIME, this the PRIME Version of the Dinobots, Not fall of cybertron.

Stop comparing the two and enjoy the comic.
People aren't comparing it in quality, it was advertised to be a link between FOC the game, and Prime the show, and, not a very good job by the looks of things.
excelhedge
I never expected 100% continuity and neither have anyone else.

Highmoon, the studio that Creates Prime and IDW work Three completely different mediums with completely different work schedules, Unless it was stated outright by HASBRO that all 3 worked together to create this hand in hand, I would never belive that.
shroobmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgaughan View Post
People aren't comparing it in quality, it was advertised to be a link between FOC the game, and Prime the show, and, not a very good job by the looks of things.
Well people are expecting the whole Snarl being alive thing to be explained in the first 5 pages of a full mini series. They're not even giving them a chance even when Barber already proved himself as a good editor that fixed the DAMN MOVIE CONTINUITY by himself.
Anguirus
Quote:
Oh look! Two giant inconsistencies with War for and Fall of Cybertron within the first three or so pages. I'd like to see Habro try and say this is all still in continuity...
I can't wait until you Phoenix Wright those bad-continuity-writing bastards and they collapse into tear-spewing heaps of sadness and shame.

In far more important news, I'm digging the preview. It seems fun.

Quote:
5 pages where nothing happens?
I hate it when Transformers fight each other!!
jackgaughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelhedge View Post
I never expected 100% continuity and neither have anyone else.

Highmoon, the studio that Creates Prime and IDW work Three completely different mediums with completely different work schedules, Unless it was stated outright by HASBRO that all 3 worked together to create this hand in hand, I would never belive that.
Well, the Press release did say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Release View Post
In November, TRANSFORMERS PRIME RAGE OF THE DINOBOTS launches, linking the events of the game and TRANSFORMERS PRIME television series together.
kaijuguy19
Guys has it ever occured to you that we'll likely see how Sludge got brought back to life and Grimlock up and running through flahsbacks? It would be nice to see it explained in the first couple of pages but that doens't mean we won't see an explanation eventually.
Thundershot
I always assumed it was like the Marvel comics and Sunbow cartoon. Both use the same source material, but that's where the similarities end.
Autovolt 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
I always assumed it was like the Marvel comics and Sunbow cartoon. Both use the same source material, but that's where the similarities end.
This is how I see things now and forever more.

Ultra Magnus....Totally means he'll be in Season 3.
JazzIsBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijuguy19 View Post
so until they didn't explain why Sludge is alive again and how Grimlock is back in action in it's entire run let's read it first.
WHAAAAAAAT? Read/watch something THEN past judgement on something? What madnes is this? This is the tranformers fandom dammit!
dunerunner123
Impactor... nice, shame we probably wont get a good look at him any time soon.
The drone getting impaled was awesome.
"Less angry than slug trust me"
"Rrrrrrr" couldnt help but smile to that.

It's neat to see Ultra Magnus around, I just hope he doesnt get shot down in the next page.

I also take it that Sludge and Grimlock will have their prescense explained later on in the issue and if not. Meh so what, it would probably be safe to assume Grimsy was found in the wreckage and sludge's body was recovered some how. I am more focues on the current story that the comic will be telling anyways.
so far it doesnt seem as bad as expected I think I will pick this up.
mirage4lifeyo
I know its a fresh take and all, but since the Dinbots' appearances resemble their G1 selves so much, I gotta say that the differences in function on some of them from the old days are rather funny. Snarl as a medic and putting Sludge in charge of "logistics" would lead to some epically hilarious fail in terms of their old personalities and intelligence levels....
Grimlockimus
Ah the aligned continuity, how you mess up with continuity is rather ironic.

Though I guess they could go back and retcon it, saying Jazz recovered a chip or magical wire that held Sludge's personality component and then they just made a new Sludge.

Also, Blast Off might not be dead. Megatron took a stabbing like that before and lived. But then again, that's Megatron.
Flexx Ark
Grimlock has brain
RoadRage
YES......OH GOD.............huff.....huff......huff...................Sorry just had an epic NERDGASM so yea anyway I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!!!!
Onslaught24
please tell me that wasn't Blast Off Grimlock stabbed
TylerMirage
Nice.

This makes me want Ultra Magnus to appear in the show even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digilaut View Post
Oh look! Two giant inconsistencies with War for and Fall of Cybertron within the first three or so pages. I'd like to see Habro try and say this is all still in continuity...
REMINATOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Nice.

This makes me want Ultra Magnus to appear in the show even more.



It would be awesome if he does debut in the show and with the 3rd Prime UM toy coming soon, I'm sure he'll debut in Prime-S3. Even if that isn't the case, I'm already happy just to know that Prime UM debut in the comic. At least now he has some sort of media that supported his character.
Shatterpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught24 View Post
please tell me that wasn't Blast Off Grimlock stabbed
I wish I could.

The people in denial say it was a generic that looked like Blast-Off.

But he's TOO similar for it not to be him.
RoadRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterpoint View Post
I wish I could.

The people in denial say it was a generic that looked like Blast-Off.

But he's TOO similar for it not to be him.
I am sad that no Bruticus will come.............but WE ALL GOTTA GO AT SOME POINT LOLZ!!!!!................................Hey as long as it's funny too me u allz don't matter. Yet in all fan/nerd like seriousness might have been a clone or actually him well never kno till we get the comic...............TOO THE COMIC BOOK STORE CHAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!
spyder
This is gonna be fun.
Sockie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterpoint View Post
I wish I could.

The people in denial say it was a generic that looked like Blast-Off.

But he's TOO similar for it not to be him.
The only thing they have in common is their chests. Aside from that, this generic and Blast Off look pretty different.
Shatterpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockie View Post
The only thing they have in common is their chests. Aside from that, this generic and Blast Off look pretty different.
And shoulders, and legs, and colors...

And his head is different, but it looks a Prime styled Blast Off head.
Pcm979
I've been spoiled by RID and MTMTE, where those five pages would've been densely packed with plot and characterization, fight scene or otherwise. In comparison, this is a let down- and that's without taking what a letdown the FoC Miniseries was into account.

Of course we shouldn't condemn this issue entirely based only on a mediocre preview, but it'd be equally disingenuous to ignore the fact that it didn't impress. After all, the purpose of a preview is to make people want to buy the issue; the implication is that this is the best they could do.

The people saying that we shouldn't look on this as a bridge between the games and the Prime series... Er, that's precisely what it's been solicited as! So when the very first thing they show is a preview that implies the creation of more discrepancies, what're we supposed to think?
kaijuguy19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcm979 View Post
I've been spoiled by RID and MTMTE, where those five pages would've been densely packed with plot and characterization, fight scene or otherwise. In comparison, this is a let down- and that's without taking what a letdown the FoC Miniseries was into account.

Of course we shouldn't condemn this issue entirely based only on a mediocre preview, but it'd be equally disingenuous to ignore the fact that it didn't impress. After all, the purpose of a preview is to make people want to buy the issue; the implication is that this is the best they could do.

The people saying that we shouldn't look on this as a bridge between the games and the Prime series... Er, that's precisely what it's been solicited as! So when the very first thing they show is a preview that implies the creation of more discrepancies, what're we supposed to think?
It did impress some people which it did it's job at so not everyone was unimpressed.

And again this is only a preview. We'll likely see the connections later on through flashbacks and during it's present time.
Sockie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterpoint View Post
And shoulders, and legs, and colors...

And his head is different, but it looks a Prime styled Blast Off head.
His shoulders look pretty different to me. =\
Pcm979
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijuguy19 View Post
It did impress some people which it did it's job at so not everyone was unimpressed.

And again this is only a preview. We'll likely see the connections later on through flashbacks and during it's present time.
Well, I hope your trust is vindicated. Me, I'm going to wait for some reviews to come out before putting money down on it.

The thing that gets to me the most so far is the 'Prime and Megatron left' part. FoC put a lot of emphasis on the fact that the Ark was supposed to carry everyone, and they barely had enough Energon for that. Now they can power an entire Armada full of people who were left behind? Er, okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockie View Post
His shoulders look pretty different to me. =\
They're almost entirely out of frame, so how can you tell either way?
kaijuguy19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcm979 View Post
Well, I hope your trust is vindicated. Me, I'm going to wait for some reviews to come out before putting money down on it.

The thing that gets to me the most so far is the 'Prime and Megatron left' part. FoC put a lot of emphasis on the fact that the Ark was supposed to carry everyone, and they barely had enough Energon for that. Now they can power an entire Armada full of people who were left behind? Er, okay.
True. I mean waiting for reviews to see first is always the sensible route.

They didn't say that the Ark did indeed carried everyone on board. Perhaps some of them did get left behind to keep an eye on the remaining Decepticon forces.
Pcm979
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijuguy19 View Post
They didn't say that the Ark did indeed carried everyone on board. Perhaps some of them did get left behind to keep an eye on the remaining Decepticon forces.
Well, now we're getting down to the murky issue of authorial intent. I'm a big fan of it, IDW isn't, and never the twain shall meet.
Shatterpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockie View Post
His shoulders look pretty different to me. =\
He even has the same damn guns as his deluxe toy.

And his head is his FOC head with a visor and more Primey.

HE'S BLAST OFF, END OF DISCUSSION.
Starscream Gaga
I'd say I'm surprised that this doesn't actually fit into the WFC/FOC continuity and doesn't cement them as Prime prequels like people insisted it would, but I'm really not.
Railguard
eh, I can't wait to get my hands on some dinobots but the tf prime toys don't come out quick enough so I don't expect to see any dinobots for the prime show. what a shame.
Mr. Chaos
My Sludge theory: He is dead.

This is all happening in Grimlock's head. He has been captured by Shockwave again and has this simulation running through his brain.

Continue: Transformers Prime Rage of the Dinobots Preview Discussion on the 2005 Boards!

 
Big Bad Toy Store