Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

WTF Primetime - 42 - Regeneration Hour - November 6 2012

Reply Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
News Credits: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megastar View Post
I well never get why people liked Breakdown and Dreadwing so much.
I could say the same about most of the main Autobot cast.
Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.
Bountyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
Terrorcon
Collection Count: 6
News Credits: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Megastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyan View Post
I could say the same about most of the main Autobot cast.
Than you have bad taste in characters.
Megastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Space Ninja
Send a message via Skype™ to Chosen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GogDog View Post
I didn't forget. But the subject didn't fit so I never brought it up.
Ok! What the heck was it that you were going to bring up though? You never elaborated and I'm curious to know what that was all about.
Stuff for Sale! Pending Updates. | My Junkion Exchange Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
Man, I'd MUCH prefer an echo chamber where everyone just says the same things over and over to a sea of nodding. That sounds like an awesome model for a Discussion Forum.
Chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Logic's wayward son

Collection Count: Always too many. Never enough.
News Credits: 6
Send a message via AIM to GogDog
Quote:
Than you have bad tease in characters.
This isn't the Prime forum. Discuss it without insults or don't discuss it at all.

**My Flickr Page of Mostly Toy Photography**
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFactor View Post
Swindle stole my money, Minerva stole my heart.
GogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
Memory is RAM!
Slayershoop's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Too many to be considered normal
Send a message via MSN to Slayershoop
I think the whole Dreadwing death and the way Season 3 is starting to look may finally be what pushes me away from watching Prime, I may still watch it, it'll just drop way down on my list of show priorities. That whole finale only left me with one thought of any significance: F--K the jet vehicon general is show canon, I now need a few of those. The finale was so underwhelming for me, that is literally the only thing I cared about. Season 2 has been such a massive disappointment for me. I completely agree with you guys. I at one time thought that Prime could be up there with Animated for me, but now, no, not at all. This is good in a way, now I can focus my limited figure budget on other shows and 3rd party products. All in all, not a fan of how it's progressed, and I may just bow out of Prime entirely.
Slayershoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Mini-Con
I am in complete agreement with most of what was said on the podcast. I really wanted to like TFP but as this season wore on it just left me with a sense of apathy, culminating with a finale that I basically shrugged my shoulders at.
OptimalRodimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Ken
Collection Count: More than I need, less than I want.
News Credits: 5
I agree with the podcast generally (big surprise)

I think Chris said it best that the show has turned into something that is resolving situations and concepts too quickly to be able to enjoy or contemplate them. The show has been really good about posing interesting concepts and situations, but the consequences and lasting effects aren't ever explored to satisfaction because the repercussions are either ignored or wiped out.

The biggest thing that irked me about the standoff at the start of the final episode is that the Autobots had at least 2 artifacts that could have completely negated the Decepticon's hostage advantage before the kids were exposed to danger. The Autobots used these artifacts so effectively just minutes before to grab the keys from Decepticon forces, why are three canisters any different?
Noizemaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Terrorcon
Collection Count: 6
News Credits: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Megastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizemaze View Post
The biggest thing that irked me about the standoff at the start of the final episode is that the Autobots had at least 2 artifacts that could have completely negated the Decepticon's hostage advantage before the kids were exposed to danger. The Autobots used these artifacts so effectively just minutes before to grab the keys from Decepticon forces, why are three canisters any different?
Because the Decepticon's know they have the artifacts and well smash open the canisters the moment the Autobots even try to use them.
Megastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Ken
Collection Count: More than I need, less than I want.
News Credits: 5
Quote:
Because the Decepticon's know they have the artifacts and well smash open the canisters the moment the Autobots even try to use them.
Would be difficult to smash a canister when you're either stasis locked or when they've been pulled from your hands. I doubt they're faster than pure energy.
Noizemaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
Maxipads, attack!
Send a message via Skype™ to LordGigaIce
I think Prime's problem is that it aspired to greatness.

Very few great pieces of entertainment were intended to be great. They just happen and if the writing is good enough, if the performances are good enough, then it all just sort of happens. Jerry Seinfeld didn't set out to create one of the funniest sitcoms ever, he just made the show he wanted to make, and he did it with talented people, and great things happened. Or to bring it back to Transformers, the writers of Beast Wars didn't intend to create arguably the greatest piece of Transformers fiction. They were just told to make a show to sell these new animal Transformers. Good writing and voice acting, however, made it great.

Prime, however, aspired to be great. Again, that's the problem. When you aspire to be great you only think of the big picture. Big concepts that you think will be awesome.

A dramatic, movie-esque score.
Megatron raising a zombie army.
Starscream going out on his own as a lone wolf.
A terrorist group that wants to weaponize Cybertronian tech.
Nemesis Prime.
A human/Cybertronian hybrid.
Unicron IS the Earth.
Optimus Prime loses his memory and becomes a Decepticon.
Megatron alive in Bumblebee's head.
Bulkhead potentially dying as he's in critical condition.
Nearly unbeatable Insecticons. Who travel in swarms, no less.
Optimus finally realizing Megatron HAS to die.
A Dinobot-like character who dies standing up for his honour.
Uncovering the ultimate weapon of the Primes and Megatron defiling the grave of a dead Prime to make his own counterpart for a final battle.
The possible restoration of Cybertron.

Truth be told you'd only need a few of these to make a pretty epic Transformers series. What I think happened was that the creative team for Prime aspired to greatness, and as a result they came up with all of this. Yet like I said, aspiring to greatness means you only think big picture. So while they thought of all of these great ideas they faltered when they had to actually write the show. Big, epic, great concepts are all well and good, but you still need to write a show to get to them. And that's where the whole thing unravelled.
Now they have to find a way to include all of their great, epic ideas, and you get stuff that should be epic and great reduced to a season finale at best. Unicron as the Earth or Megatron robbing a Prime's grave to gain an arm so he could build his own counterpart to the Star Sabre could EASILY be the series finales on their own for two different Transformers shows. Hell, you could build an entire season of Megatron in Bumblebee's head.
Yet because the Prime team wanted to be great instead of just letting greatness happen they forced each into paltry arcs that are forgotten the moment the arc concludes.

So yeah. Don't aspire to be great. Just write good television. Greatness will happen if you have all the right pieces in place. If you try to force it you get....well you get this. Epic concepts treated like check box items.
LordGigaIce is offline   Reply With Quote