Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

WTF Primetime - 37 - Out of the New Recrast - September 11 2012

Reply Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #21
The Stand User
Collection Count: You want me to count that?
News Credits: 1
The Funny thing is that the complaints the forums had on Shockwave is that he looks too G1... Even though there's a crap ton of Movie elements to him.
MovieGodOptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
ROCK LORD
Collection Count: More than I was planning...
News Credits: 7
I'm glad you guys noticed the different sound of Shockwave's weapon. I loved hearing that, and it's one of the things I've been missing with Prime. For all the great production values of this show, the sound design has fallen short in a few spots compared to Beast Wars. I always loved how each character in BW had his own unique sound for when he transformed, and for when he fired his weapon. It added a nice distinctness to each character that's pretty lacking in Prime, where all their weapons make this weak laser sound effect.

Second point, regarding the fact that they keep going back to square one with the storylines: I think we're seeing what happens when this franchise gets really successful for Hasbro. Thanks to the movies, this is their main brand, the big money-maker, and they're treating the characters and story as a brand. Thus, they don't want to complicate things by making the characters have major changes, or have the story take huge risks. With a show like Beast Wars, they were reinventing the brand when the toy sales were lagging, so they could throw things at the wall to see what stuck, and those risks resulted in a huge payoff fictionally. But with Prime, they already have a successful franchise, and they want to keep it as engaging as possible without rocking the boat. So rather than a producer who comes up with great ideas and then walks away without a full plan for how to continue it, I see it more as a Hasbro representative looking over everything they plan for the show, and telling them to get it back to the status quo every few episodes so it can remain friendly for any new viewers.
col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
Herald of Wheelie
Collection Count: Way too many & not nearly enough!
Hey guys, great podcast as usual.

Just wanted to point out that your desire for a full on ongoing story, in which characters truly change is the antithesis of what networks that produce kids shows want. It works for movies and for comics, but it's not what animated shows for kids are generally about. And those that have continuing arcs are lower rated.

The top kids shows are Spongebob, Adventure Time, Regular Show and now Gravity Falls. While these shows have sometimes small developments through a season or subtle multi-season arcs, kids (and some adults) tune in for the same characters they know and love. (honestly this could be applied to most TV shows, sitcoms in the heyday like Cheers and Seinfeld) The big exceptions are HBO/AMC shows that really evolve, and Soaps, and LOST, etc. But most adult procedurals like Law & Order, CSI, keep most characters where they are - even House - for the most part.

But with kids shows, Networks literally want kids to be able to turn on the show and not have to catch up on anything the characters may have gone through, if they missed a week or a month - or a year.

This is one reason why the Thundercats reboot and Tron Uprising aren't successful. Also it's not the episode writer's decision to revert characters to earlier characterizations. These series wide arcs are developed by Executive Producers, showrunners or story editors (or all 3). And there is pressure from Network to have most shows be stand alone episodes. Again - The Network, and more importantly advertisers want butts in seats watching, and anything that makes people switch the channel (including not being able to follow a continuing story) or a character acting odd, or referencing something that is unclear, hurts ratings.

Basically imagine a TF: Prime where they have to begin each episode with: "Previously on..." What you're hoping for would almost demand this. I know Tron Uprising and Avatar:The Last Airbender had to do this - and I know this kind of thing, while good in HBO shows, Madmen etc - really hurts kids shows ratings.

I know it's frustrating, since you guys are interested in a fiction that progresses and characters that go on transformative journeys (pun intended ;-) But trust me, TF: Prime has a large amount of character development and continuing story for it's genre. You are getting quite a lot. Find me a kids show that has more, and is successful and ongoing longterm. Nick's Avatar and current Kora aren't/weren't big ratings hits - though critical hits.

Anyway, just trying to give you context reasons why Bulkhead will 100% definitely be back to health just like before, and Miko probably will revert to what the Network thinks her character is (even if some dislike). Character is a static thing in most TV shows. Homer Simpson, Tony Soprano, Sam Malone never learn anything really, and that's why you keep tuning in.
Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
samtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #24
Vehicon
That was a very rational and intelligent post, thanks samtastic
Rikerwota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Autobot
News Credits: 1
But doesn't Avatar prove that to be incorrect? Wasn't that like a mega-hit when it aired? I know Korra is doing fantastically as well.
Burnout V4 - Free papercraft energon cubes made by me

Plan D Avalon- playing games and being dumb - Ode to my sister-in-law
Rexidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
Reply Dump Extraordinaire
Collection Count: Dude, who cares?
It's funny that you guys kept bringing up that people were freaking out about Smokescreen being revealed a week earlier since I went completely unspoiled, I flipped when he said "Smokescreen" since Smokescreen hasn't been in a Transformers series in a while. I also agree with Aaron's sentiment of "seriously?!? Another type of energon?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixbeast View Post
We're just not British enough to understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
BLASPHEMER!!! May you burn in a pile of molten ABS plastic!!!
My DeviantArt
SideswipePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #27
Herald of Wheelie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikerwota View Post
That was a very rational and intelligent post, thanks samtastic
Thanks
Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #28
Herald of Wheelie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoku View Post
But doesn't Avatar prove that to be incorrect? Wasn't that like a mega-hit when it aired? I know Korra is doing fantastically as well.
No, Avatar was indeed a critical success and did ok in ratings, but it was not a big ratings success for nick, that's why they didn't do any more continuing story shows for so long after.

Kora was an exception, they wanted to continue the legacy of a critical success, it was meant to be a short mini-series. But it did better in ratings than they expected so the network ordered more. Still this kind of thing is not cartoon show bread and butter for networks. It's the exception to the rule.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #29
Reply Dump Extraordinaire
Collection Count: Dude, who cares?
Listening to the "spoiler section" I miss the old spoiler section music
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixbeast View Post
We're just not British enough to understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
BLASPHEMER!!! May you burn in a pile of molten ABS plastic!!!
My DeviantArt
SideswipePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #30
Herald of Unicron
I'm surprised you didn't mention the inception moment of having the Flashback of Tailgate's death inside of another flash back.
Power Rangers Stuff for sale or trade.

SaberPrime is offline   Reply With Quote