Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

WTF @ TFW - 182 - January 13 2012

Reply Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #41
Decepticon
Being a long time Botcon goes (this year marks my 18th year), I've seen a lot of ups and down with the exclusives. There's been GREAT years like when we got Arcee from TM2 Blackarachnia and Tigertron from the Ravage mold or when we got the G2 set from Fun Pub two years ago. And there were dark times during the OTFCC years (not going into that-if you were a fan then you know what I'm talking about) or the unfortunatly lackluster Wings of Honor box set.

But one thing I think a lot of people might not recall is that Fun Pub is limited by the molds that Hasbro and Takara can agree on that can be used and if their theme idea is approved by Hasbro.

I'm not debating the set this year has some issues and in the past I've been critical of some of their choices on molds and such. But I've always tried to keep in mind that Brian and company are probably making the best choices they can within the legal and monetary constraints they're under, not to mention the red tape involved.

So yea, the set this year has problems, but it's also not the worse one (to me) they've done. If you like it get it, if not, don't or just get the ones you like. Just remember there will always be things behind the scenes that prevented use from getting 'X'-but at the same time FP's choice could have kept us from getting a much worse 'Y'.

Just trying to see both sides of the big picture.
"Two Autobots are better than one Cyclownus!'

Daniel, showing Cyclonus the power of a Headmaster-The Rebirth, part II.
HMRC4EVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #42
is not insane. Really!
Insane Galvatron's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Too many to count.
News Credits: 5
Send a message via AIM to Insane Galvatron Send a message via MSN to Insane Galvatron Send a message via Yahoo to Insane Galvatron Send a message via Skype™ to Insane Galvatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchmanDS View Post
I think someone on TFW was trying that with CAD awhile back. IIRC, the size they had to work with was causing problems.
Not sure if someone else did or not, but I know I tried. The biggest hurdle was allowing the landing gear to still fold up into it. That and I was trying to design it with the inflexibility of resin in mind ( ie: no socket joints ). Not an easy task. The limited space made other joint options unfeasible. The only way to do it would be to design it for injection molding, but tooling costs would make that far too expensive given the limited demand. Seriously, who would pay $25-$30 for a transforming drone?

Click My Sig For My Want Thread! I want to buy your stuff!
Insane Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
Butt + Hurt = TF Fans
Computron34's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Not enough
News Credits: 11
Send a message via AIM to Computron34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GogDog View Post
We've spoken Botcon love for the past three years with the sets. We call them how we see them. You're gonna looooove 183.
And some of that love was deserving. Some VERY misplaced. I got tired of hearing it then. It's nothing new. Just making comments. Still like the show.
Computron34 on Twitter, TF Legends, and basically everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
Our fandom has become a huge cesspool of whiny bitches.
Computron34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #44
Master of Crystalocution

Collection Count: Somewhere between not enough and too many.
News Credits: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Aaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMRC4EVR View Post
Being a long time Botcon goes (this year marks my 18th year), I've seen a lot of ups and down with the exclusives. There's been GREAT years like when we got Arcee from TM2 Blackarachnia and Tigertron from the Ravage mold or when we got the G2 set from Fun Pub two years ago. And there were dark times during the OTFCC years (not going into that-if you were a fan then you know what I'm talking about) or the unfortunatly lackluster Wings of Honor box set.

But one thing I think a lot of people might not recall is that Fun Pub is limited by the molds that Hasbro and Takara can agree on that can be used and if their theme idea is approved by Hasbro.

I'm not debating the set this year has some issues and in the past I've been critical of some of their choices on molds and such. But I've always tried to keep in mind that Brian and company are probably making the best choices they can within the legal and monetary constraints they're under, not to mention the red tape involved.

So yea, the set this year has problems, but it's also not the worse one (to me) they've done. If you like it get it, if not, don't or just get the ones you like. Just remember there will always be things behind the scenes that prevented use from getting 'X'-but at the same time FP's choice could have kept us from getting a much worse 'Y'.

Just trying to see both sides of the big picture.
We all have kept that in mind as well. I think a large issue that we have had this year is a lackluster set being sold as one of the best ever. Pete started out by setting the bar extra high and then failed to deliver. Sure if you are a Shattered Glass enthusiast that is going to give this set points, but calling it even in the top three is laughable. Animated, Games of Deception, Dawn of Futures Past, G2, hell even the first Shattered Glass set is better than this set.

I think it is easy to reason out as well. They took a central idea and went with it. Making a set a follow on to another set will limit some people who will then want to have the old SG set. Also the choices seem uninspired. Granted we don't know what all was available to them as molds, but until Fun Pub opens up to let us know more about the process we can only hypothesize, and that is what we frequently do on our show. I would like to think with our combined experiences at BotCons and Hasbro trips and other knowledge due to real world experiences we can get close on our ideas and COULD understand what we are frequently told that we can't.

But hey, what do I know.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #45
Decepticon
I didn't mean to imply that you and the guys at WTF @ TFW hadn't been a very open minded party for all the Botcon stuff going on, and if that's the way it came across I apolgize.

I just wanted to point out a few things that newer folks who don't have the insider knowledge we have gained through the years might want to keep in mind as they get involved with the discussion so they can make an informed decision knowing all the factors invovled.

And it's a shame I can't use 'fair and balanced' in a sentence anymore without my stomach turning over.

Again, didn't mean any implications to you Vangelus or anyone at WTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
We all have kept that in mind as well. I think a large issue that we have had this year is a lackluster set being sold as one of the best ever. Pete started out by setting the bar extra high and then failed to deliver. Sure if you are a Shattered Glass enthusiast that is going to give this set points, but calling it even in the top three is laughable. Animated, Games of Deception, Dawn of Futures Past, G2, hell even the first Shattered Glass set is better than this set.

I think it is easy to reason out as well. They took a central idea and went with it. Making a set a follow on to another set will limit some people who will then want to have the old SG set. Also the choices seem uninspired. Granted we don't know what all was available to them as molds, but until Fun Pub opens up to let us know more about the process we can only hypothesize, and that is what we frequently do on our show. I would like to think with our combined experiences at BotCons and Hasbro trips and other knowledge due to real world experiences we can get close on our ideas and COULD understand what we are frequently told that we can't.

But hey, what do I know.
"Two Autobots are better than one Cyclownus!'

Daniel, showing Cyclonus the power of a Headmaster-The Rebirth, part II.
HMRC4EVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #46
Butt + Hurt = TF Fans
I think the thing that's been bugging me, is there is not an opinion on the show that is "luke-warm" at best. Everytime Botcon talk starts, I know what it's going to be. Maybe that has to do with all the Twitter talk as well. I do wish we had another guest per episode for maybe a different perspective. But I know that's not always fees able.

Just what I think. But what do I know.
Quote:
Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #47
Logic's wayward son

Collection Count: Always too many. Never enough.
News Credits: 6
Send a message via AIM to GogDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computron34 View Post
I think the thing that's been bugging me, is there is not an opinion on the show that is "luke-warm" at best. Everytime Botcon talk starts, I know what it's going to be. Maybe that has to do with all the Twitter talk as well. I do wish we had another guest per episode for maybe a different perspective. But I know that's not always fees able.

We're not going to bring on a guest just to disagree with us. There are 5 hosts. If we all feel the same way about something, that's how the dice fell. If all 5 people on the show don't like something, there's probably a good reason for it. We're not going to ask each other ahead of time what we think, and if we all feel the same way, quickly ask someone to be on out of the blue just to disagree.

If we all loved the Botcon set, should we track down someone who hates it, just so they can come on and tell us how bad it is? Probably not going to happen. It's fine that you disagree with us, opinions make the world go round. You're just going to have to cope with the dizziness for now, I'm afraid.

**My Flickr Page of Mostly Toy Photography**
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFactor View Post
Swindle stole my money, Minerva stole my heart.
GogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #48
Insecticon
Collection Count: About two hundred
Quote:

Are you kidding? Vangelus has been bending over backwards to be as kind as possible to these sets. He's been a massive moderating influence on the others, to the point where it's almost gotten irritating in itself. FunPub has really dropped the ball with this set, and the podcast crew's reactions have been charitable if anything.
AlanGarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #49
Butt + Hurt = TF Fans
Quote:
Originally Posted by GogDog View Post
We're not going to bring on a guest just to disagree with us. There are 5 hosts. If we all feel the same way about something, that's how the dice fell. If all 5 people on the show don't like something, there's probably a good reason for it. We're not going to ask each other ahead of time what we think, and if we all feel the same way, quickly ask someone to be on out of the blue just to disagree.

If we all loved the Botcon set, should we track down someone who hates it, just so they can come on and tell us how bad it is? Probably not going to happen. It's fine that you disagree with us, opinions make the world go round. You're just going to have to cope with the dizziness for now, I'm afraid.
I never said you should bring someone on to disagree with you. I feel the same way about the set (mostly) as y'all. But does that mean I can't get tired of hear how crappy it is? Isn't this a place to post our opinions about the shows?
Quote:
Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #50
Logic's wayward son

Collection Count: Always too many. Never enough.
News Credits: 6
Send a message via AIM to GogDog
Quote:
Calm down buddy. I never said you should bring someone on to disagree with you. I feel the same way about the set (mostly) as y'all. But does that mean I can't get tired of hear how crappy it is? Isn't this a place to post our opinions about the shows?
Who's not calm? I don't understand that statement. I just made eggs over medium in extra virgin olive oil, and I feel warm and relaxed, with a full tummy. Couldn't feel more relaxed.

You said our podcast was making you feel physically dizzy. You offered the idea of bringing on a guest to counter our opinions. I explained why that's not something we want to do. That's it, friend. I even told you we welcomed your opinion in my last post...

**My Flickr Page of Mostly Toy Photography**
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFactor View Post
Swindle stole my money, Minerva stole my heart.
GogDog is offline   Reply With Quote