Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)

Closed Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
I give you: RoboCop 2!

Superquad7's Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 11
Send a message via MSN to Superquad7 Send a message via Skype™ to Superquad7
Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)

(Thanks to frenzy_rumble for sharing this tutorial resource with us! ~Superquad7)

(Original source: Ultrawerke: Painting and Weathering Tutorial: Part III)

"Now we are going to complete rust effects using pigments (you also have a more detailed rust tutorial here). I first select some suitable rust colors: P230 Old Rust, P25 Standard Rust and P24 Light Rust.

I do a pigment mix and add turpentine to make a wash. If the base color were enamels instead of acrylics I would have used alcohol instead of turpentine.

This is the surface I pre-rusted with the airbrush in Part II.

I now apply the pigment wash and let it dry.

I'll start working on the tracks while the "rust" dries. I will go for a dry mud finish with leaves shiny metal on the exposed areas. There are many different techniques, but I'll cover them on further tutorials.

I start applying dry earth-colored pigments (P28 Europe Dust) with an old brush.

I then carefully add some turpentine drops to fix the pigments.

I let now everything dry.

This is the aspect once the pigment is dry. This will serve only as a base for the dry mud that comes next.

I will prepare a dry mud mixture. I select some earth-colored pigments (P28 Europe Dust, P38 African Earth and P31 Vietman Earth), plaster and a special acrylic resin for making mud adding some water.

I made some test and trial before finding the amount of plaster/resin to obtain dry mud. The more resin you add gives the mixture a gloss wet finish, as you can see in both mud samples over the tissue (both are completely dry, but the one on the right has more acrylic resin added).

I liberally apply the diluted mix over the tracks.

I remove the excess "mud" with a tissue before it is dry.

This is how the tracks look once the "mud" is dry.

Now I will drybrush the tracks using metallic colors in order to give the impression that the bare metal is showing due to the friction with the terrain.

As usual, I drybrush using a flat ox hair brush and enamels.

This is the final effect. I am not fully satisfied with it yet, so I will complete it later using more graphite.

Next time we'll move on finishing small details and dusting the tank: Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Four)"
Attached Thumbnails
Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1767.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1768.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1769.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1770.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1771.jpg  

Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1772.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1774.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1775.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1776.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1777.jpg  

Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1778.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1779.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1780.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1781.jpg   Amazing Weathering Painting Tutorial (Part Three)-dscn1782.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot Burnout View Post
BEHOLD: Superquad7; friend of the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught24 View Post
I love it when Quaddy enters a thread like this. Cause he tells it like it is not with force, but with hilarious images and wisdom.

Last edited by Superquad7; 02-23-2011 at 03:11 AM..
Closed Thread