Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Using Sculpey III to Cushion Pin Removal

Closed Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
I give you: RoboCop 2!

Superquad7's Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 11
Send a message via MSN to Superquad7 Send a message via Skype™ to Superquad7
Using Sculpey III to Cushion Pin Removal

Tutorial credit goes to TFW2005.com member, jasonmako. Thanks for your contribution!

So today I bought a mint Bombshell Insecticon to re-paint. After looking him over, there was absolutely no correct way to paint around the arm joints with out taking the pins out. After deep thinking about what could be used to support the underarm without ruining the design or plastic, a light went off and Sculpey III was the answer. Its hard yet soft, conforms to the plastic pieces, and will take the impact of the pin being hit out.

The Right Arm:

The Left Arm:

The Left Arm Pin:

Hope this tip helps you with those non-flat parts.

(In the original discussion thread, there are some comments that add additional information for this modification; they are included here for additional help. ~Superquad7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarJT82
Will storing Sculpey III in a zip-lock bag prevent it from drying up?
I've kept mine open in the fridge since i made the post and its still good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarJT82 View Post
*snip*Which specific stores sell this stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by netkid
Michael's craft stores, Utrecht art supply stores, Jerry's Art stores. Basically any place that deals mostly in Art or Craft supplies. You probably won't find it at Wal-Mart or Target.*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboedguy
I have a piece of soft pine I use to get them started if the are really, really tough. But for the most part i use a spring loaded center punch. It needs no backing, just hold the part, put the tip to the small end of the unknurled end of the pin, and push. The center punch will snap, and push that pin right out.

This is the one I use.

When finding that link^^ I noticed there is a heavier duty one:

Heavy Duty one

Definitely one of the handiest tools I have for this hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Using Sculpey III to Cushion Pin Removal-atta.jpg   Using Sculpey III to Cushion Pin Removal-4-thepin.jpg   Using Sculpey III to Cushion Pin Removal-3-l-arm.jpg  

Last edited by Superquad7; 05-12-2010 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: Cleaned for tutorial resourcing.
Closed Thread