Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey
by KA

Making Retro G1 Boxart Photoart

Closed Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
PENIS GOES WHERE?!!
Collection Count: 500+
News Credits: 2
Send a message via AIM to KA Send a message via MSN to KA
Making Retro G1 Boxart Photoart

(You can view all of the entries here: TFW2005 BBTS Transformers Battlescene Contest - Other Transformers Images - TFW2005.COM)

I don't usually do non-humor pieces, but I thought the battle scene competition would be fun to work on . . . . with the motivation of getting free stuff.

The premise is [since] G1 [toys] are fricking bricks, the challenge is making 'em look alive. The G1 boxart homage is not a coincidence. I even took time to study 'em to get a feel for 'em. Note that the objective is not realism, but its gotta look like there's a lot of [things] going on.

Onward to the tutorial!

Vital stats:
- 18 cons, 22 bots, 40 total (as usual, 'bots had numbers)
- composed at 3000 x 1500 + pixels, over 50 layers and around 100 megs
  1. Take pics of figures. Lots of em. I took 4-5 shots of each bot with slightly varied angles [with a] pretty simple cam setup. I just use a 3.2 mp, non-SLR, (you don't need a fancy shmacy camera to get things done) and a directional lamp with overhead general fluorescent lighting (from the room light). Use a white background.
  2. Crop out the figures from photo background. I like to use the marquee select tool to get crisp edges.
  3. Set up the background/compositing file. When arranging the figure in the composition, draft sketches help to visualize overall composition.
  4. Once I get a few [figures] (the main ones) in the composition, look [for] suitable background material for the backdrop. Additional manipulation may be required (e.g., I had to spherize the landscape to suit the perspective).
  5. Once all figures are composited, make sure your layers are organized and start working on effects. Almost all the motion - white streaks - are on individual layers. Don't be afraid to vary the technique, [and the] opacity in accordance with foreground/background position.

The explosions and weapon blasts were also created from scratch, using paint and blur tools. The explosion effects were done in a separate file, and [then] copy/pasted into the final composite, varied by the sizes only.
  6. [Finally], I added a diffuse glow layer to create light effect and contrast to the figures. [It] makes 'em look less flat, [and] creates visual depth.
    The diffuse glow layer was done in a separate file, [and] all the figures were merged [onto] one layer, rendered in grayscale, and [the] diffuse glow effect [added]. which was then pasted into the composite layer as an overlay mask layer. That's how the [shine] of the parts look like they're glowing without . . . . using lighting effects.

A word on composition: when working with lots of elements, group the elements in [a] hierarchy (foreground, background, etc.). Notice how certain bots are grouped together by size and viewing distance. It helps [with the] clarity of composition.

Also, once you're done, take your time to review the work and look at it with fresh eyes. I took 2-3 days just to make minor tweaks; I added the 3 changers during this time, [and] even adjusted the composition a bit of the figures in the center area to 'get it right').

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamura_prime
Nice, and congrats again!

And how do you go about doing your explosion [type] effects? I usually just make a shape and play with outer glows and blurs until they 'look' like an explosion, but you seem to have it nailed down.
- Use soft brush, and create red blotches outer circle;

- Repeat [the previous step], but [using] yellow for inner circle;

- [Use] white for the center

- Use the radial blur [tool]. Add in white or black specks prior [to this step] to create [a] debris effect.

[You] can also [out]line the outer circle with black, [to] give it harder edge.

Attached Thumbnails
Making Retro G1 Boxart Photoart-ka1.jpg   Making Retro G1 Boxart Photoart-ka2.jpg  

Last edited by Superquad7; 10-09-2009 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: Cleaning for tutorial resourcing.
Closed Thread