Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

RotF Leader Megatron (Gets a Real Arm)

Closed Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Banned
frenzyrumble's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 300
News Credits: 52
RotF Leader Megatron (Gets a Real Arm)

It's inevitable: I'd bet 90% of Radicon Leader Megatron owners are gonna do something creative to replace and/or fix his gimpy left "arm".

I used TFTM Megatron's left arm, removed it at the shoulder, keeping the pin so that the shoulder's ratchet joint and everything past it is retained.

The pin from the TFTM Megs arm slides tightly into the new hole where the ROTF arm came from. The arm will need to be removed for alt mode, but a sacrifice I'm cool with.*

I then replaced the TFTM hand with the ROTF hand.

On the ROTF hand, I cut it at the wrist so the plastic part with the pin stayed with the hand (black plastic) I sealed the parts together after removing the pin, making a solid round part for the wrist joint.

On the TFTM wrist, I hollowed out between the two pin holding areas so the new hand can fit in there. I also had to machine around the pin area so the hand can move freely to straight and up and down (see pic below):

Slide the new hand into the wrist and drove a tight long screw through and sniped off the ends:

Next, gotta clean it all up and paint him:

And, here's Megatron caught in the act picking his nose:

During the thread discussion, several questions were asked, to which frenzy_rumble provides the following answers below. ~Superquad7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaujta View Post
Why does the arm need removed? I'm not overly fond of the idea, and would like to know the reason before I go about doing a similar conversion myself.
Yeah it does, only 'cause even the gimpy, tiny arm barely fits on alt mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombatron View Post
have you thought about casting a matching shoulder for leader megs? i like the black shoulder part on his cannon arm. i think it would look kick ass if he had a matching shoulder on his gimp arm. just a thought
Something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optronix_prime View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing FR, but I like my original leader Megatron custom too much to butcher one of his arms.
I'll have to find something else.

(You plan on doing anything else besides the elbow joint on the gun arm?)
[I] don't think he needs much else. He's got great articulation, so [I'm] drawing a blank there too. I [have gotten] a lot of movie figs off eBay for a ridiculous price; the Megs I used was in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necare View Post
I used TFTM Megatron's left arm, removed it at the shoulder, keeping the pin so that the shoulder's ratchet joint and everything past it is retained.

The pin from the TFTM Megs arm slides tightly into the new hole where the ROTF arm came from. The arm will need to be removed for alt mode, but a sacrifice I'm cool with.

So how did you attach the left TFTM Meg's left arm with it's shoulder to the torso of the ROTF Figure? The swing joint on ROTF figure has a circular tab but it's too small for the TFTM Meg's shoulder piece to wrap around.

I was able to replace the right arm with a lot of prying and bending, luckily the plastic is so high quality on the Leader megs that there were no stress marks and no cracks at all.
Here's a drawing which might help, or might make you even laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingHead View Post
Not bad at all, but I won't really be impressed until we figure out a good mod that still allows for a full transformation, without the removal of parts.
The arm doesn't need to come off to go into alt mode. It can fold up or around the turret. (I'm not sure if this contradicts the statements above; see asterisk ~Superquad7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPascalganx View Post
good idea and it looks really nice
but please paint the ugly blue plastic grey o0
I did Here's an image of him completed:

. . . . and here's his thread (completed version):

ROTF : Leader Megatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombatron View Post
nice! man, i bet your stack of donor bots must be insane.
here's a pic of my "Transformer collection":

Attached Thumbnails
-thumb.jpg   -front.jpg   -side.jpg   -img_3114.jpg   -img_3115.jpg  

-img_3121.jpg   -picker.jpg   -img_3127.jpg   -diagram.jpg   -megatron4.jpg  

Last edited by Superquad7; 06-19-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Closed Thread