Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

I think paint apps might be returning

Reply Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
Attack Buffalo
Collection Count: 810
News Credits: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erector View Post
I could be wrong here - but I always assumed figures are budgeted by entire LINES, rather than waves?
Hasbro budgets paint apps by waves (we found this out during RTS/Generations, I believe), but yeah, they do actual figures in lines instead of waves as far as I can tell.

3/5 of Wave 3 is still all old stuff that was all included in the budgets and designs for Optimus, Jazz, and Shockwave. 1/5 is a very repaintable mold that needs no remolds to be sold again as different characters.

I'm just trying to point out that nothing has actually changed, paint apps aren't making a miraculous return and figure quality isn't going up again because Starscream doesn't suck, it only appears that way due to hasbro's repaint/remold strategy to cut figure costs.
I'm selling things!

Help keep Transformers Animated alive! Preorder Bluster & Trench today, exclusively at Planet Steel Express by clicking this banner!
Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
Release the Kraken!!!!!!!
News Credits: 1
Yeah, to Valkysas you should listen. I don't wanna be a Negatron, but that's something very common when it comes to repaints/retools. It's simple. They've already spent the dough on design, engineering and mold-casting. Now (when doing a repaint of an already made mold) they can splurge a little on paint. Look at any repaint from the recent movie lines or even any other part of the CHUG lines... 9 times out of 10, the repaints have much nicer and more detailed deco's than the original release.
Wanted Items
For Sale/Trade
Feedback Thread
jametron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Collection Count: 100+
News Credits: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkysas View Post
So far, I see no reason to think anything has actually changed.

With wave 3 of FOC, we're dealing with a wave that's primarily remolds, with only one of them actually being a heavy remold. All remolds and accessories were most likely designed along with the original figures since we know hasbro does that now, which probably explains why everything in wave 1 was trash (well, at least in my eyes, and I own all three). We also know that hasbro budgets and distributes paint apps by wave. Only two toys in wave 3 are completely new for this wave. Think about that. Everything else in there was done in wave 1, just not released. Wave 3 was cheap as hell to produce for them, so of course they could splurge on paint.

FOC Voyager wave 1 is effectively one figure. So the size probably has a hell of a lot to do with that. Normal voyager waves are two molds these days. Not this time. One mold. That's saving them a lot of money, so they can throw more at the single mold in the wave and it's repaint. Sure, Blaster's remold was designed and budgeted with the Soundwave mold, but that's just a new head, chest plate, and gun.

The Wrecker combiner was also likely designed and budgeted into the original Bruticus, so if you're wondering why those guys were so damn hollow and flimsy feeling, there's your answer. A lot of their plastic went into second heads and big guns.

I'll start thinking things actually changed when we get a solid wave of new molds that are up to the same standards as deluxe wave 3 and voyager wave 1.

This all the way.
BLITZWING ARM FIX
15 minute job to fix your blitzwing arms so they lock in how they should from the factory.
NEED: GODGINRAI-POWERMASTER APEX red wing and black blaster
Snake_eyes1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Prototype Black
Satomiblood's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Eleventy Billion
I really like Air Raid and Kickback's color schemes. And I think they did well with the paint work.
Satomiblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
MegaBossimus Primetron
bossman328's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 609
News Credits: 2
I just got Starscream, Kickback and Magnus and they are really painted well. Magnus looks 100x better than optimus. Starscream and Kickback feel like they're from a different line alltogether. solid figures. I hope it's a trend but I'm doubtful
Feedback: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/junkio...ossman328.html
bossman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
TFW2005 Supporter
Collection Count: 1100
News Credits: 8
I got Starscream last week, he feels like a return to the good old days after Jazz, Onslaught, etc.
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Banned
Collection Count: Not enough, and never will be enough.
I noticed this too. I thought starscreams legs were going to be that grey plastic, but then I saw a review for him and his legs are silver!
Bossguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Boy of Meat
It's fairly common for a redeco to have more paint. Just look at Wheeljack and Dead End.
RayTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
Finally saw AOE
News Credits: 4
I'm just gonna cross my fingers and enjoy Wave 3 when I get my hands on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoku View Post
Whoa, I just realized, Starscream has neither hollow arms NOR legs!
Holy shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossguy View Post
I noticed this too. I thought starscreams legs were going to be that grey plastic, but then I saw a review for him and his legs are silver!
Well, he IS the shiniest, or at least, most noticeably shiny, character in the game.
But I am shocked that they're actually bringing back DETAIL.

Wait...

Did anyone remember that Beast Optimus Prime? Makes me doubt that paint apps is a returning trend...
Hi.
Prime Jetscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
Swerve's bartender.
Collection Count: Dunno, you count them.
News Credits: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Jetscream View Post

Wait...

Did anyone remember that Beast Optimus Prime? Makes me doubt that paint apps is a returning trend...
Could be bad pics.

Plus, the generations line has been known for having better paint applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Silver 6 View Post
Look at your bot, now back to me
Look at you bot, and back to me.
Sadly, he isn't me...I'm on a liger
Starfire22 is offline   Reply With Quote