Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Something that I don't understand...

Reply Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Kaon Gladiator Champion
Collection Count: OF BODIES? I destroy ALL who oppose me!
News Credits: 2
Something that I don't understand...

So I was wondering, why would HasTak make NEW molds of Characters that don't appear on Transformers prime, and not make NEW molds for Characters that do show up on the series.

So far, we had seen new molds for Kup, Rumble, Thundertron and Ultra Magnus. None of these have appeared on the show, and there doesn't seem to be any news (unless I missed it) that they would appear on the show.

Meanwhile, Hasbro will never release Unicron or Breakdown here in the states and Smokescreen is stuck with the Knockout mold which doesn't work for him without his AM (which we are not going to see in the states).

Wouldn't show figures sell better then non show, less known figures? Think of this from a non collector stand point. I mean, don't kids want what they see on TV?
Alucard77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Disciple of A3
News Credits: 1
Cartoons are really long toy commercials, so yes, it does seem weird that Hasbro doesn't sell all of the characters in the show as toys.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Aerialbot
Molina00's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard77 View Post
So I was wondering, why would HasTak make NEW molds of Characters that don't appear on Transformers prime, and not make NEW molds for Characters that do show up on the series.

So far, we had seen new molds for Kup, Rumble, Thundertron and Ultra Magnus. None of these have appeared on the show, and there doesn't seem to be any news (unless I missed it) that they would appear on the show.

Meanwhile, Hasbro will never release Unicron or Breakdown here in the states and Smokescreen is stuck with the Knockout mold which doesn't work for him without his AM (which we are not going to see in the states).

Wouldn't show figures sell better then non show, less known figures? Think of this from a non collector stand point. I mean, don't kids want what they see on TV?
Hasbro not releasing Smokescreen didn't make much sense to me. I would think a new autobot would have been a big seller. I guess they had already announce all the deluxe waves, but it seems like they could have squeezed him in somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock1972 View Post
I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbolt View Post
"Got a problem? Can't a winged, transforming, eagle and bear fuzor walk in public without getting looks?"
Molina00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Protoformed This Way
News Credits: 9
I came to terms with the fact that we'd never get some on screen characters back when ROTF never got the last bike sister (except through a repaint and even then, not the right colours) but hundreds of original characters.
Starscream Gaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Constructicon
I think things have changed somewhat from my day.

Hasbro's a toy company. They come up with new toys - that's what they do. Used to be they'd get a new character on the show roster to promote the new toys they had coming out. S'why the show so often didn't make any damned sense. They did well with what they had, mind you.

So the real question you should be asking is why don't they write all these new characters they've moudled into the show?

And I think that's where your answer is: Prime's character roster appears to be less geared around introducing new toys and more geared around developing characters and plot. It's a product in its own right. And probably a lot more coherent for it.

But man, I want them to introduce new characters more frequently than they do!
zebramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Hanlon's razor

Collection Count: Many
News Credits: 34
I always thought Ultra Magnus' name sold itself.

radicons : shapeways : photography : feedback
process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Internet: Pure Truth

Collection Count: 200ish
News Credits: 14
I understand them not making new molds for certain characters. I remember reading that developing a mold is a very long and costly process. But yea, no idea on the non-show characters. You'd think they would just repaint something that was already made.
Smashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Prototype Black
Satomiblood's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Eleventy Billion
I'm not an expert on this, nor am I some kind of Hasbro insider, but I'd like to think that the Kup and Rumble molds were produced long before the Prime line. In fact, I think they were produced with the Classics/Generations banner in mind. Many of the design cues are similar to Classic/Generations-styled figures. And I believe Rumble's instruction manual showed him with a completely different head than what came with the stock release. I think the AM releases of Frenzy and Rumble will boast the head originally intended for the mold. Also, I want to say that Kup was either intended to be a modernized Rhinox or one of those hybrid figures for the HFTD line.
Satomiblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
I. DON'T. CARE.
News Credits: 1
Send a message via AIM to Cracka J
they could just be concepts that were approved for the show as well, but never made it in. though since they did have a working concepts, they toys were produced anyways.

seems like a decent way to still get a bit back on a r&d investment that didn't make it to the show. you know, kinda cut your losses a bit.
Cracka J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
I give up.
Collection Count: 558.
News Credits: 32
Basically all the result of Hasbro chopping and changing, possibly bringing BH forward, in a doomed attempt to reach their ludicrous profit expectations.

I'm fairly sure this is why some hints dropped in the cartoon, such as Magnus, never came to anything, and why Smokescreen doesn't have a proper toy.

It might also explain why the first wave of BH is so retool heavy, they were developed in a short time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomiblood View Post
I think the AM releases of Frenzy and Rumble will boast the head originally intended for the mold. .
I think solicitation pictures showed the blue one keeping the original head, and the read one with the head from the instructions?
miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote