Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Do your children have lots of toys?

Reply Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #31
Oh something shiny
Collection Count: 2000+
I have a son, most of my house is full of his toys. Does me being a collector effect how many toys I get him... looks at the army of imagnext batman in my living room... possibly.
Your signature image may not exceed 40 Mega Fonzies in Coolness. -staff
Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #32
Infiltrator
Collection Count: 1000+
News Credits: 2
I made what I consider a mistake with my son when he was younger, I bought toys for him every time I bought them for me. He had everything - Starwars, Transformers, TMNT, Lego etc. I found that in the long run he didn't put much value in the things he had and it kind of ruined the fun he had with any individual piece. Now with my little Daughter I buy her what I think she needs but feel no guilt in just saying no. She seems to have more fun with fewer toys, and what really makes me happy is her lego skills. That takes a lot of creativity.

I think for parents who buy a lot of toys themselves it can be hard to just say no to the kids. Now I realize that my collecting is just that and doesn't mean I "owe" my kids something all the time.

www.odeean.com YouTube Flickr Google Play
odeean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
Release the Kraken!!!!!!!
News Credits: 1
Well my first child will be here in late May or early June... He/she will have toys for sure. How can I have so many without doing the same for them? Plus I'll be sharing what I have of course (certain ones ) But I understand the whole "they're all the same" perspective to non-collectors. I'm constantly defending that theyre not to my wife "but you already have Jazz, don't you?" "Uhm, not THIS Jazz!" "Fine, whatever I'll be in the grocery section".
Wanted Items
For Sale/Trade
Feedback Thread
jametron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
Electric Monk
Sweeny28's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: One or two.
My son has a whole heap of toys but his favourites are always Beyblades so am very happy for him to collect them. Has he more than his friends? No, not really they all seem to have loads but he does understand the value of stuff, as we make him save up and say no a lot! Still treat him all the time, difficult not to and the latest is a G1 Metroplex (just the robot and a couple of guns) but its a blast watching him use it as a base for Tfs and star wars toys. It's a tricky line to get right as you want them to enjoy toys as much as we did but not spoil them either. Loving Waveriders pics - toy heaven!
Sweeny28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
The guy with 28 Sweeps
News Credits: 9
Yes.

My four year old son loves Transformers like his dad and while too young for the regular ones, he has tons of Bot Shots and Cyberverse toys. My daughter loves my little pony toys and... dinosaurs. Two year old girl who loves dinosaurs..
How much am I spending this year on Transformers?
Thundershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
Prepare for extermination
Collection Count: 33
My girls have way too much stuff, my Mrs is a childminder so they pretty much use all her resources too. The problem with that is they often don't respect their own things and I'm constantly on them at the moment to keep things together and in their place so they don't get ruined/lost but whatever does last does get handed down to the youngest.......along with more new stuff.

Funny thing is they are totally full of respect for my toys and anyone elses.....it's just their own but my eldest (who is nearly 8) has already started growing out of traditional toys and now wants a phone/laptop/tablet etc and I'm having to increasingly manage her expectations in regard to cost and age appropriateness.
TigerBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #37
Electric Monk
Sweeny28's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: One or two.
Similar problem with my son who's 8, he loves his Bayblade but now also wants DS games / phone etc so doing our best to educate him as to how expensive stuff is.

Two year old daughter who's into dinosaurs and ponies? Nothing wrong with that. My 3 year old is the same but also has a weird liking for Scooby Doo - has the mystery machine and everything - but when you take a step back there are far too many toys. Not helped by a collector as a Dad, so they will probably both be hoarders.
Sweeny28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #38
Supreme Dude
Waverider's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Shrinking
News Credits: 8
Do you guys just buy stuff for your kids? I make mine earn his toys through saving money, rewarding for good grades and doing his chores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superquad7 View Post
Erector can lead horses to water but he can't make 'em drink. He can build bridges, though.
Quote:
"Dear Hasbro, do it like the third parties do and give us things that in no way meet safety standards! Do it RITE!"
--->Cool Stuff<---
TFs, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai & GI Joe For Sale - MOST MISB!!!: <----- Click here
Waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #39
Prepare for extermination
Collection Count: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverider View Post
Do you guys just buy stuff for your kids? I make mine earn his toys through saving money, rewarding for good grades and doing his chores.
We used to but it created a monster in our eldest. We still do on a smaller scale but behaviour charts are now in place and good behaviour results in more pocket money which results is more things they can buy........and it really works.

I personally think mine are too young for chores (I was laden with them from a young age and really resented it) but one thing they do need to do is keep their rooms tidy and that is a start. I think it really depends on age and what they can actually help/do in your own household.
TigerBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
Aerialbot
Molina00's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverider View Post
I don't have kids, but this sounds like the way to go for me. Nothing wrong with treating the kid once in a while, as long as it's not so often they expect it, but I think they would probably value their toys more if they had to save and work for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock1972 View Post
I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbolt View Post
"Got a problem? Can't a winged, transforming, eagle and bear fuzor walk in public without getting looks?"
Molina00 is offline   Reply With Quote