Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Generation One - Fixing Some of Those Problem Areas!

Reply Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Road = my dinner plate

Superquad7's Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 11
Send a message via MSN to Superquad7 Send a message via Skype™ to Superquad7
Generation One - Fixing Some of Those Problem Areas!

Hey guys, after seeing this thread pop up and spending some of my time and resources fixing some of my own G1s, I figured I'd post a thread here to see if you guys would like to contribute and help out here. There are several G1 figures with areas that are a bit more fragile than others. Now, while sometimes the remedy is simply just be careful (since we are playing with toys that are now over 20 years old), sometimes there are some fixes that can be done to totally alleviate the problem with just a little bit of fixin' up.

So, what are some of the G1 figures that you have found you've been able to fix up with just a little bit of alteration? How did you go about it? Can you photograph your process? If not, can you detail (step-by-step) how you fixed your problem and what you used to fix it?

Also, I'll preface this thread to say that if you don't have anything to contribute to the actual fixing of a figure or the specific topic at hand, please just keep moving along. This is simply a help request thread where I'm asking for those who can and will be helpful to do so. Obviously, since this is altering figures physically, the end result of this request of mine is to resource them in the Customs Tutorials. Despite this being the case, since the aim is to "fix" our G1 figures, I figured this thread would be a bit more suited for Toy Discussion and that it may attract more persons whose alteration behavior may be a bit more "restoration" than "alteration" focused. Additionally, if you have a great link to share, please feel free to do so. Note that the intention is to resource things here at TFW2005, so my assumption is that if you're posting a link that it's totally ok for me to resource the content here as well.

Many thanks in advance to those of you who are willing to take your time to help out with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot Burnout View Post
BEHOLD: Superquad7; friend of the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught24 View Post
I love it when Quaddy enters a thread like this. Cause he tells it like it is not with force, but with hilarious images and wisdom.

Last edited by Superquad7; 11-05-2012 at 03:37 AM..
Superquad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Hold the mayo.
What a cool thread, most the problems I've come across are as simple as buying a junker to replace a broken part. Or disassembling, repainting then applying new stickers. But one common problem live seen that is a really cheap and easy fix is the legs on G1 Tracks. Many examples won't retract or contract completely due to a bent piece of metal in the slide mechanism. It is an easy fix, but sometimes requires stickers to be removed to access the two screws holding the lower legs together. Once everything is disassembled, the metal stay needs to be removed and reshaped.

I don't have pics of a bent example, but this piece of metal is the culprit. Most the time, this piece will actually bent in half. If it cant be straightened, It can probably be removed and still function. I opened up a second tracks I own, and those pieces aren't even there.

turboedguy's collection

Last edited by turboedguy; 11-05-2012 at 10:09 AM..
turboedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
G1 Collector
brr-icy's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 1200+
News Credits: 6
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy
i remember when that happened to me as a kid, i was pissed, but after opening and taking them out, he was fine.

Trypticon's electronics were an easy fix for me, having the power on, and him open, twisted the gear a little in the right direction and freed it up. it ran beautifully until i sold it off

Feedback: TFW2005/Cybertron.ca ^click for full size and gallery
My Collection Pretenders and G1 Japan Want List
Commissions Review Blog Looking for a Victory Gaihawk body/complete/MIB
brr-icy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Trapped in 1984
Collection Count: Not Nearly Enough
News Credits: 4
Send a message via Yahoo to GAUGE Send a message via Skype™ to GAUGE
How about G1 Shockwave's knee area and Metal toes.

How on earth do you fix those so they actually lock into place like they are supposed to during transformation?

It's such a shame i have an original, but it displays and transforms like a dollar store TF.
GAUGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Road = my dinner plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboedguy View Post
What a cool thread, most the problems I've come across are as simple as buying a junker to replace a broken part. Or disassembling, repainting then applying new stickers. But one common problem live seen that is a really cheap and easy fix is the legs on G1 Tracks. Many examples won't retract or contract completely due to a bent piece of metal in the slide mechanism. It is an easy fix, but sometimes requires stickers to be removed to access the two screws holding the lower legs together. Once everything is disassembled, the metal stay needs to be removed and reshaped.

I don't have pics of a bent example, but this piece of metal is the culprit. Most the time, this piece will actually bent in half. If it cant be straightened, It can probably be removed and still function. I opened up a second tracks I own, and those pieces aren't even there.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/DSCN4631.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/DSCN4632.jpg
Leg Fix for G1 Tracks

Wow, thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
I love it when Quaddy enters a thread like this. Cause he tells it like it is not with force, but with hilarious images and wisdom.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Road = my dinner plate

Don't forget to check Tutorials for things that have already been resourced. Keep those coming, guys!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Hold the mayo.
Ok, heres another one. G1 mirage. How often have you seen this figure broken in half. An easy fix is to disassemble the torso, remove the broken peg, then replace it with a screw. What I did, is drill a small pilot hole where the original pivot used to be, then find a screw about the same diameter as the original peg, and screw it in. I also used superglue as a locktite of sorts so the screw won't back out. The trickiest part is adjusting the screw depth. It needs to be in far enough that the waist has a little friction so it wont flop around, but not too tight. I did this on the articulating custom I built a couple years ago, so those are the only pics I have, but you'll get the idea.

turboedguy's collection
turboedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
Road = my dinner plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboedguy View Post
Ok, heres another one. G1 mirage. How often have you seen this figure broken in half. An easy fix is to disassemble the torso, remove the broken peg, then replace it with a screw. What I did, is drill a small pilot hole where the original pivot used to be, then find a screw about the same diameter as the original peg, and screw it in. I also used superglue as a locktite of sorts so the screw won't back out. The trickiest part is adjusting the screw depth. It needs to be in far enough that the waist has a little friction so it wont flop around, but not too tight. I did this on the articulating custom I built a couple years ago, so those are the only pics I have, but you'll get the idea.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/DSCN3390.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/DSCN3389.jpg
Awesome! I was actually looking for a tutorial for this one some time back to put in our resources. I really liked dakroland's from many moons ago, but I can't find it now. Now we can fix that!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Road = my dinner plate

Fixing Horri-bull's Horrible Head!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Follow me @NerdActivist
Send a message via AIM to MegaPrime33
If someone can fix starscream's chest/head piece from always tilting backward in robot mode, that would be great.
My Transformers For Sale
MegaPrime33 is offline   Reply With Quote