Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Discovery in my Brother In Laws Shed

Closed Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
what the doctor ordered
Collection Count: 49
It sounds like your brother-in-law has already made the effort to locate his friend. Depending on how long he's tried to contact this guy for, there's probably not a whole lot more you can do.

Considering your brother has been holding onto these for nearly 15 years without any word from this guy, I'd say the items are legally his now.
My Comic: Us Against the World / My Feedback / My Collection
Old 10-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
Vehicon
Collection Count: 51 and growing RAPIDLY.
Send a message via AIM to Bakushan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracka J View Post
soooo....pictures....about that...
what a coincidence 2 almost identical threads pop up the exact same day!

bs aside, if this is legit hope your bro can sell it and make back what he's "invested" into the storage unit. if he's not hurting for the money, and the dude is still a friend, he can always just sit on it since it's in his house now. he might be able to come up with the funds eventually if you're bro doesn't mind it taking up space.
Ill admit, I made this thread on purpose when I saw the other one...

But the story inside of it is 100% true. I will get pics.

And yeah, I think they are going to sit on them.
North Texas Transformers Collectors Facebook Group
My Personal Facebook Page | My Feedback Thread
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
CodeXCDM's Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 5
I think at this point... the law would favor said items as being your brother-in-law's property. Verbal agreements can be considered binding, and rent rules usually state that property can be seized to make up for back rent.

If he still feels he should contact the former friend... ok... but that friend will *have* to pay the back rent if he wants the collection in tact... If he doesn't, then either he agrees to sell the equivalent amount in toys towards the back rent, or just flat out leave them in your brother-in-law's hands.

I'd say it being *this* long... you probably won't hear from him. If your in-law is a collector of sorts himself... and feels iffy about selling what's essentially his now... display them somewhere or hold on to them for a few more years. They're only going to increase in value after all.

CodeXCDM's Feeback Thread | Horatio Devastator!!! | Best/Amusing Forum Sigs
***SALE: CHUG, TFCC, Arms Micron, PCC, and More! Prices at/below retail! ***
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
With great power...
News Credits: 7
Isn't there something about "squatter's rights" that comes into effect after like 7 years or something like that?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
OMEGAPRIME1983's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: currently.. about 150 or so I think
News Credits: 2
Pictures and can I have them. That is all..

Just playing dude, but seriously, that's an awesome find for your BIL. Will he be keeping everything, or putting it all on eBay??

Edit: didn't read the post beyond what was found. I would say that I think LEGALLY the stuff is now his. Does the BIL know if the guy is even still, knock on wood, alive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Chaos View Post
He's now nothing but a mere twisted shell of his former self, wrapped around a warped and chaotic spark that is withering yet thriving in a sea of despair and agony, his mind long eroded from the many thoughts of revenge for his undoing.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
I voted for Super_Megatron and all I got was this stupid user title.
He did his due dilligence in attempting to get his "friend" to pay his share and/or pick up his shit. I'm no lawyer, but I'd say your bro has a plausible defense to take possession of the goods and do whatever the hell he wants with them. I certainly can't see a court saying "well, you didn't say anything for 14 years after numerous attempts to contact you and a complete breach of contract (verbal, implied, or otherwise), but you want them back now, so they're yours."

Tell your bro to sell that shit as he sees fit.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #27
ALIEN F'ING ROBOTS!
Collection Count: Not Nearly Enough
News Credits: 4
Send a message via Yahoo to GAUGE Send a message via Skype™ to GAUGE
This thread is funny as hell and seems to have been made shortly after the other one.

It almost feels like a Troll story in direct response to it.

Bravo.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #28
All Hail Unicron!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Predakign2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakushan View Post
This is a true story. I will add PICS as soon as I can to further add to the story.

So my brother in law is a fellow geek/toy collector. So, it makes sense that many friends of his would also be geeks and toy collectors.

My brother in law's best friend (formerly) was having some tough times, and needed some space to store some things sometime around 1998 or so. To do this, my BIL would need to INCREASE the size of the unit he was renting, and take on a larger monthly payment. So my BIL agreed to let him put his stuff in his new storage unit. The friend agreed verbally to pay a portion of the new storage fee's when he could to help with the storage. The amount of things he put into the unit was LARGE.

Years passed, and the friend never gave a dime of help. My BIL still paid 100% of the storage fee, even though nearly 50% of the stuff inside was not his. It got to the point where friend owes over $3,500 to my BIL for back storage fees.

14 years has now passed, and friend will not answer the phone, and is nowhere to be found. My BIL was tired of the high storage fees and having bought a new large home, got rid of the storage and moved all of the items to his house. The 8-10 LARGE plastic totes that belonged to the friend had not been opened since 1998. My BIL finally said "I wonder what is inside, and opened the boxes"....

"Friend" had been a part-time employee at TRU and was a hardcore toy collector and hoarder. Inside the boxes is....

-G1 TF MISB
-G1 TF Loose
-TF G2
-TF Energon
-TF Beast Wars MISB
-He-Man MISB
-1978-1984 Star Wars Carded MISB
-1988-1991 TMNT MISB
-Macross, Gundam, MISC Japanese Collectibles
-More toys than I could ever describe

Now, this stuff has not been appraised, but I would suspect that my BIL is sitting on top of at least $10,000+ in toys. Its insane. Wanna talk about "TREASURE" this stuff would make for a top rated episode of storage wars TRUST ME.

Well, my BIL is still sympathetic to his friend, and says that despite the THOUSANDS in back rent he is owed, he feels that he should find him and return the toys. My sister (his wife) feel's as if they should simply hold the toys until my BIL is compensated for the storage fees. Others feel as if the friend will never come forward and the toys now all belong to my BIL...

Now the boxes sit, shut, in a extra room on the 2nd floor at my sisters house.

What should be done?
If these items were stored around 1998 why would there be any TF Energon items in there? They didn't come out until 2004 or so. These must be MAGIC BOXES WITH TIME TRAVEL PROPERTIES!!!

In all fairness, I had a dream once where I stumbled upon some G1 factory cases in an old general store.... One can still dream right?
My Sales/Wants
My Feedback
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #29
I voted for Super_Megatron and all I got was this stupid user title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predakign2000 View Post
If these items were stored around 1998 why would there be any TF Energon items in there? They didn't come out until 2004 or so. These must be MAGIC BOXES WITH TIME TRAVEL PROPERTIES!!!

In all fairness, I had a dream once where I stumbled upon some G1 factory cases in an old general store.... One can still dream right?
I suspect maybe the guy had access to the unit and was adding to it during the 14 years?

Actually, that's another good point, who the hell lets a "friend" shit on them like this financially to the tune of thousands of dollars for 14 years without doing something about it?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #30
Warlord of Floriduh
Wait..... whats this?? I just found the Holy Grail in a box of socks in my shed! lol jk!
Closed Thread