Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Michael Bay Discusses Shia's TF Comments, Mark Wahlberg and the TF4 Story.

Reply Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #121
Aerialbot
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
1.) Nowhere has it been confirmed - or even hinted at - that Mark will be playing the "teenage boy" character.
2.) Looking at "teenagers" in film or television, it's apparent that, for the most part, getting a teenager who is actually the required age isn't the best choice. Getting a 16 year old kid to play a 16 year old kid makes them look really young. Crime shows, teenage dramas, blockbuster movies, whatever. You'll notice that they seem to cast older actors to play younger characters. A 15 year old actor will play the 11 year old child murderer, the 21 year old Shia plays an eleventh grader, the majority of the Glee cast is/was 20-25 and they were playing high-schoolers. That's just how casting teenage characters works. Heck, it seems to almost apply in real life too; Carly Rae Jepsen is 26 years old and yet she looks like an 18 year old. I'm 21 years old, but if I were cast in anything, I'm sure I'd be the "16 year old friend" because I look like an awkward man-child. I wouldn't make a convincing young adult, but I'd make one heck of a generic high schooler. Actual teenagers appear to be younger than they actually are when the camera sees them. It's not always the case, but the majority of the time it is.


and probably because most people don't know how to 'act their age' in terms of audience expectations, a real life 12 year old isn't very self aware about how a 12 year old behave and doesn't know how to act like an idealized movie/fictional 12 year old because he hasn't really grow out of it, but when he's 16, he had experienced being a 12 year old and can look back and see how and ideal 12 year would behave in the movie and leave out the awkwardness of being a 12 year old (unless specifically called for, in which case he can exaggerate the awkwardness he'd experienced as a 12 year old)
Maetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #122
Reason Has No Voice
03Mach1's Avatar
03Mach1's Ebay Auctions
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 14,881
Location: Do you really care?
Collection Count: 750+
News Credits: 4
Send a message via AIM to 03Mach1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream Gaga View Post

And 03Mach1, trying to rebut someone who pointed out you say every dislike of the film is "hate" by making a long post about how everyone who doesn't like the films "hate" it is doing the exact opposite of what you want to do. Making the point that Michael Bay is not known for good movies and is somewhat infamous for making bad movies is not "hate", its actually fact; he isn't a well-liked director even outside the Transformers community.
Posts with actual criticisms are one thing. Posts completely chastising Bay and his work are another. Not to mention the ones who claim to know his dedication to his work and his general disposition as a human being. Those are my personal favorite.

We make up a very small portion of the general public. How can you possibly claim that Bay is not known for making good movies, much less claim it as fact. And he isn't well liked by whom, exactly? Have you polled the movie audience, Bay's peers or executives in the industry? I'll assume not. So to claim he isn't well liked outside of the smallest of the small minority is complete and utter fabrication.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-...cus-value.html<---Click Me-It's my Trade Thread
03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #123
335
Kaijumaster's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,992
Location: Michigan
Collection Count: 200+
News Credits: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephland View Post
Jolly good sir! we need more posters like you!
Kaijumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #124
WITH NO SURVIVORS!
Autovolt 127's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 59,648
Location: Robot Pirate Island
Collection Count: More than few but less than all of them
News Credits: 9
Send a message via AIM to Autovolt 127 Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream Gaga View Post
I find that unfair. Wanting better then passable mediocrity (06, DOTM) and terrible (ROTF) isn't being a "spoiled little princess". It's wanting them to make a good movie from the hugely expansive source material.
Michael Bay is a director and some directors are definitely able to improve as they go along, I think its really lame to just say that he wont ever improve and that you're in the wrong to want him to. Bad argument. Who knows? I actually have hope for this film, even though DOTM had many flaws, it was a definite improvement on the abysmal ROTF and I can honestly say I enjoyed watching it in the cinema, compared to how I hated watching ROTF in the cinema. Maybe he'll listen and take his film up another notch from DOTM, which could make it good?

It's always valid to want better, not all of us just want to give up hope and just try and enjoy something we know could be done wonderfully.

And 03Mach1, trying to rebut someone who pointed out you say every dislike of the film is "hate" by making a long post about how everyone who doesn't like the films "hate" it is doing the exact opposite of what you want to do. Making the point that Michael Bay is not known for good movies and is somewhat infamous for making bad movies is not "hate", its actually fact; he isn't a well-liked director even outside the Transformers community.
Yeah I agree. I don't think it's unreasonable to want a decent story, with likeable characters and action not to much in your face. I mean Batman, Star Wars, Marvel...they can do all of that stuff well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta777 View Post
"Today we face the Decepticons that are at our door, and bring the fight to them! Today we are cancelling the age of extinction!"
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #125
Protoformed This Way
Starscream Gaga's Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,218
Location: Adelaide- Australia
News Credits: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Mach1 View Post
We make up a very small portion of the general public. How can you possibly claim that Bay is not known for making good movies, much less claim it as fact. And he isn't well liked by whom, exactly? Have you polled the movie audience, Bay's peers or executives in the industry? I'll assume not. So to claim he isn't well liked outside of the smallest of the small minority is complete and utter fabrication.
Funny thing is, most of us are not just part of the Transformers community and actually do have exposure to a wider public and therefore are not just making the assumption based of Transformer forums, not to mention that most of us are part of many other fandoms too. Don't make an assumption that people just have friends, jobs and hobbies from this one thing, that's just beyond ignorant.
For evidence that Michael Bay is not well-liked? Critics, for starters, are the most easy to reference and compare; just look on just about any film critic website and the likelihood is that his films are not well-received, furthermore if you go into other forums from different franchises the evidence that Michael Bay and his movie's low on story and good actors and high on action approach is pretty disliked when he's brought up; just look at the TMNT fandom's reaction at the rumours he was going to direct TMNT films! Finally, I have many friends outside of the Transformers community, in fact in real life I only have one friend who also has any interest in Transformers at all and the vast majority of them dislike his films, I know that's personal experience but still noticeable to me.

It's like you read that I said "even outside the Transformers community" and just chose to completely ignore it and pretend I never made that point. YOU may like Michael Bay, but he IS rather infamous for his movies and that's NOT just in the Transformers community, which you'd know if you bothered to be a part of anything else or do some research about it before accusing me of fabrication.
Starscream Gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #126
Reason Has No Voice
03Mach1's Avatar
03Mach1's Ebay Auctions
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 14,881
Location: Do you really care?
Collection Count: 750+
News Credits: 4
Send a message via AIM to 03Mach1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream Gaga View Post
Funny thing is, most of us are not just part of the Transformers community and actually do have exposure to a wider public and therefore are not just making the assumption based of Transformer forums, not to mention that most of us are part of many other fandoms too. Don't make an assumption that people just have friends, jobs and hobbies from this one thing, that's just beyond ignorant.
For evidence that Michael Bay is not well-liked? Critics, for starters, are the most easy to reference and compare; just look on just about any film critic website and the likelihood is that his films are not well-received, furthermore if you go into other forums from different franchises the evidence that Michael Bay and his movie's low on story and good actors and high on action approach is pretty disliked when he's brought up; just look at the TMNT fandom's reaction at the rumours he was going to direct TMNT films! Finally, I have many friends outside of the Transformers community, in fact in real life I only have one friend who also has any interest in Transformers at all and the vast majority of them dislike his films, I know that's personal experience but still noticeable to me.

It's like you read that I said "even outside the Transformers community" and just chose to completely ignore it and pretend I never made that point. YOU may like Michael Bay, but he IS rather infamous for his movies and that's NOT just in the Transformers community, which you'd know if you bothered to be a part of anything else or do some research about it before accusing me of fabrication.
Wow. If you wanted to call me a basement dweller please just have the gusto to come right out and say it.

I too have friends. Real ones who take showers and everything. I even have a wife who is also known to take showers on occasion. With that said, you and your friends and your other message boards cannot possibly speak for the 7 billion people on the planet much less the people who actually know Michael Bay. Its impossible. Not my opinion, its a fact. So instead of getting all bent out of shape, just know this: I don't like Michael Bay. I think he's a bit of an arrogant prick. But that's OK. He lives and works in a world that I will never understand. As a matter of fact (there's that word again), I don't even know the guy. What I do know is that critics and fandoms are about as reputable a source as wikipedia. They will always find something wrong with a movie no matter what. Not to mention the mob mentality that its cool to dislike something because others tell you to. Go back and read the fan/critic reaction to Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker. It is quite the read. So citing them as basis for your conclusion just doesn't work.

I don't have a problem with anyone wanting a great TF movie. I, too, want a great TF movie. But I'm not foolish enough to think the ones we have are the worst possible versions.

And with that, I'm out of movie threads dealing with Michael Bay. Like, forever (see what I did there?). You guys keep up the fight.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-...cus-value.html<---Click Me-It's my Trade Thread
03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #127
Protoformed This Way
Starscream Gaga's Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,218
Location: Adelaide- Australia
News Credits: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Mach1 View Post
Wow. If you wanted to call me a basement dweller please just have the gusto to come right out and say it.
No, that wasn't what I was saying at all. I was retaliating to you ignoring my actual post and acting like I was just talking about Transformer fans. It was not a personal attack on you at all and I don't appreciate being accused of it being one.
Starscream Gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #128
Junior Smeghead
Ash from Carolina's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,951
Collection Count: not enough :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream Gaga View Post
Funny thing is, most of us are not just part of the Transformers community and actually do have exposure to a wider public and therefore are not just making the assumption based of Transformer forums, not to mention that most of us are part of many other fandoms too. Don't make an assumption that people just have friends, jobs and hobbies from this one thing, that's just beyond ignorant.
For evidence that Michael Bay is not well-liked? Critics, for starters, are the most easy to reference and compare; just look on just about any film critic website and the likelihood is that his films are not well-received, furthermore if you go into other forums from different franchises the evidence that Michael Bay and his movie's low on story and good actors and high on action approach is pretty disliked when he's brought up; just look at the TMNT fandom's reaction at the rumours he was going to direct TMNT films! Finally, I have many friends outside of the Transformers community, in fact in real life I only have one friend who also has any interest in Transformers at all and the vast majority of them dislike his films, I know that's personal experience but still noticeable to me.

It's like you read that I said "even outside the Transformers community" and just chose to completely ignore it and pretend I never made that point. YOU may like Michael Bay, but he IS rather infamous for his movies and that's NOT just in the Transformers community, which you'd know if you bothered to be a part of anything else or do some research about it before accusing me of fabrication.
Pop culture is another pretty good indicator of how the public feels because the jokes on a pop culture show or movie only work if it's something the general public can say oh yea that's true.

So the Team America World Police song that says Pearl Harbor was a bad movie

Robot Chicken Micheal Bay explosions

South Park we need ideas

Plus all the funny web stuff like every movie in under a minute
Ash from Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #129
Telly-headed Tyrant
Gingerchris's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,097
Location: Beside the seaside, beside the sea...
Collection Count: Probably more than my fair share
News Credits: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash from Carolina View Post
Pop culture is another pretty good indicator of how the public feels because the jokes on a pop culture show or movie only work if it's something the general public can say oh yea that's true.

So the Team America World Police song that says Pearl Harbor was a bad movie

Robot Chicken Micheal Bay explosions

South Park we need ideas

Plus all the funny web stuff like every movie in under a minute
But all those are just people simply jumping on the Bay Hating Bandwagon. They don't mean anything worthwhile because those are just the opinions of 'hatorz'. And we all know the opinions of hatorz don't count because hatorz are always wrong, as some people take every opportunity to tell us so.
Autobloke in everything but name.
Gingerchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #130
Metroplex's Sidekick
Optimal-T's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 56
Location: At the Southern End of Cybertron
Collection Count: Last count 21 Cybertron toys, two BM toys 1 Energon Toy and 1 G1 Toy.
Mark is a great actor. His kids will like this.
"Now stand back. I've got a problem to solve."

--Metroplex Transformers Cybertron.
Optimal-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Big Bad Toy Store