Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Modifying MP Megatron could be outlawed in Michigan

Closed Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Advanced Engineer
Collection Count: I'll have to check before I can be sure... (likely over 100, it spans nearly all US TF lines)
News Credits: 7
Send a message via AIM to Keith Prime
Modifying MP Megatron could be outlawed in Michigan

Heads up to MP-05 owners in Michgain, I saw a story on my local CBS News that [Links are hidden for guests. Please Register.] (link goes to the first story I could find online). & though I don't own one, I do know MP Megatron has such an orange safety piece & know that some owners at least try to remove the orange tip, so he looks better.

*edit* another story about the same, this one posted a couple days ago: [Links are hidden for guests. Please Register.] (this isn't my CBS, but could be the source of the story I saw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd story
DETROIT (WWJ) - State lawmakers are currently reviewing legislation that targets the use of certain toy guns. A planned proposal before the Senate would make it a crime to possess a toy gun that has its required markings removed or by having a real gun that is made up to look like a toy.

State Senate Republican Rick Jones said that this has become a major problem, especially within the gang community. “People are taking imitation firearms that look real, cutting off the orange end and then threatening people,” he said.

Supporters of the proposed legislation have also cited a recent case where a police officer was forced to shoot a gang member who was aiming a toy gun without its required markings. Jones believes this proposal will be vital in preventing incidents such as this from occurring in the future.

“This is an important package to control this problem,” Jones said.

If the legislation is passed, people who possess these toy guns and use it to commit a felony, would be punishable for up to 18 months behind bars and be subject to fines.

TransFormers Adventures on Planet Arus | New updates coming in 2014
My thought process was slagged, so I'll be editing my posts a lot. Intellect: Intact
Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Rodimus Major's Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 1
Quote:
Supporters of the proposed legislation have also cited a recent case where a police officer was forced to shoot a gang member who was aiming a toy gun without its required markings. Jones believes this proposal will be vital in preventing incidents such as this from occurring in the future.
Yes, because if there's one thing gang members are known for, it's obeying the law.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Dinobot
News Credits: 1
It's modifying a toy gun and using said toy gun to commit crimes that they are prosecuting. I doubt any DA with a brain would go after a bunch of people collecting transforming toy robots that just happen to turn into guns.

Just don't use your MP Megatron to hold up 7/11 and you'll be fine.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Collection Count: 200+
News Credits: 12
Well my MP Megatron never HAD his orange tip so, I can't really go about removing it, really whats this means is The Michigan Airsoft Group, will just have to be doubly sure to have our orange tips on when the police inevitably decide to detain us all at gunpoint agian without calling into dispatch to find out we advised them where we were going to be.

whoa! I sound a tad bitter.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Bacala=Jobs Gouki=Wozniak
Shin-Gouki's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Selling to keep a roof over my kids heads :(
Send a message via AIM to Shin-Gouki Send a message via MSN to Shin-Gouki
Quote:
Supporters of the proposed legislation have also cited a recent case where a police officer was forced to shoot a gang member who was aiming a toy gun without its required markings
Well that falls on the dumbass that was pointing it the Cop. Sounds like Natural Selection to me.

Seriously they have nothing better to do, if it's a Toy Gun, or a real one Cops have to take it from the stand point that lives are in danger and act appropriately. In the end it's on the mouth breather that threatening people. Oh I can't use that Cap Gun? OK, it's just as easy to get a real one in my old neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Spamsalot View Post
This just in, Shin Gouki is my hero.
Shin's Final Pieces of his Collection to keep a roof over my kids heads and pay medical bills sale
Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Twitter @GrimlockIsKing
Dr. Grimlockisking's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Getting back to where I want it to be
News Credits: 2
Until these gang members start painting the tips of their real guns orange and then a law enforcement officer gets shot......
Looking For: Leader Brawl (not deep desert), Striker Optimus Prime (non KO)

My Feedback Thread My Wants List My Sales
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Advanced Engineer
Collection Count: I'll have to check before I can be sure... (likely over 100, it spans nearly all US TF lines)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaconElder View Post
It's modifying a toy gun and using said toy gun to commit crimes that they are prosecuting. I doubt any DA with a brain would go after a bunch of people collecting transforming toy robots that just happen to turn into guns.

Just don't use your MP Megatron to hold up 7/11 and you'll be fine.
Yes, that is the purpose, but both stories linked to (& what I saw on TV) are talking about merely making the modification a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlockisking View Post
Until these gang members start painting the tips of their real guns orange and then a law enforcement officer gets shot......
The proposed law (according to at least the quoted article) actually makes that illegal, too. Why it isn't already is beyond me.

My thought process was slagged, so I'll be editing my posts a lot. Intellect: Intact
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
WTF is a chug?
For the sake of being nitpicky...wouldn't 'modifying' MP Megs mean adding the orange plug?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Me No Bozo Me King!!
GrimlockAutobot's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: "You Full Of Cesium Salami"
News Credits: 2
They would never be able to enforce this.

It's ridiculous to have the orange tip in the first place...I'm tired of the government trying to play big brother.

If you point a realistic looking toy at a cop, you're going to get shot plain and simple...and rightfully so.

Survival of the fittest. If you're dumb enough to point a realistic looking gun at a law enforcement officer in the first place, then you deserve to be removed from the food chain.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Advanced Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibble View Post
For the sake of being nitpicky...would 'modifying' MP Megs mean adding the orange plug?
What I read (just the stories) talks about making the gun look "more realistic". Adding orange probably wouldn't fall into that... But who WANTS MP-05 to have that orange tip? @_@

Closed Thread