|02-13-2007, 08:33 PM||#1|
Is Not Jim...
Join Date: Apr 2003
Tony Bacala has called in with new info from an event that took place tonight. At a Hasbro, Paramount and Dreamworks sponsored event, about 20 minutes of Transformers Movie footage was shown. Some of it appeared to be finished, while some scenes were just shown using base polygon models for the Transformers. The event was mainly studio big wigs all decked out in suits. A few TF fan sites were in attendance.
MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUND! You have been warned. Here is a breakdown:
- The first scene shown was Blackout attacking the military base. A much longer transformation scene is shown. The original transformation sound can be heard quite clearly. The entire crowd breaks into applause while this is happening. After transforming, Blackout proceeds to destroy the base using an EMP, to take out the electrical equipment and brute force. Crowd goes wild.
- Next is a scene with Sam trying to hit on Mikala. As her boyfriend and jocks tease Sam, Mikala gets mad and walks away. Sam offers her a ride in the 70's Camaro Bumblebee. Bumblebee has an air freshener that is a cartoony bumblebee (the insect) with the term B-otch. Bumblebee uses his radio to try and help Sam out, playing romantic music, etc. The car breaks down at a romantic spot, Mikala looks at the engine, which is very advanced. She gets fed up with the whole night and goes to leave. Bumblebee magically is fixed, starts up and plays music so she does not leave. Very comedic, crowd laughed a lot.
- Then they show a scene where Prime is driving with the Autobots tailing him. They pull up to Sam's house. Sam runs in to find something (glasses showing the location of the Allspark). Autobots hide in back yard, in robot mode. Tony said the animatronics looked amazing, very animated and showing great emotion. As Sam tries to distract his Dad from going outside, Bumblebee tries to keep the Autobots quiet. Sam goes into his room, talks out the window to Optimus Prime. Cullen's voice is heard. Much deeper voice than he used on G1 Prime.
- Optimus Prime has a mouth in non-battle mode. Many people seemed thrown off, will take getting use to.
- Ratchet backs into power lines and shorts himself out. In the original script this was supposed to be Jazz. Autobots try to transform into vehicles and hide, but they are still in yard. Sector 7 guys show up and take Sam and Mikala away. Played more comical than serious. John Turturro leads the Sector 7 group. Some of these scenes had the Autobots as very early polygon renders.
- The lights go out, but before people can leave, they ask if they want one more scene. Crowd goes nuts. They show the scene where Scorponok is chasing the soldiers. Lots of crazy action. Some comedy thrown in as well. Air strike comes in and throws everything they have at Scorponok. He is not killed, but damaged and jumps into sand and retreats.
- End of event.
Tony said the whole thing looked amazing. He was a very skeptical fan leaning towards not liking the direction of the film. He was very pleased with what he saw. Said the Transformers all look phenomenal in motion and the trailer showed nothing compared to the movement and emotion the characters display. There were some known movie detractors in the audience who flipped out. Loud applause and cheering heard throughout the event.
A couple more insights, now that I've traveled home in the ice and had some time to absorb it all.
- I personally was never a "hater" of the movie. I am in the middle, more of a "I wish it was more this way, but I hope whatever they do is good" kind of guy. I didn't go into this knowing what to expect, wasn't going to puff it up just because we got invites.
- The scenes we saw were straight off the pages of the leaked February 2006 script seen last year (our review here), minor changes here and there, expansion of dialog, action realized, etc.
- The first scenes shown were the military ones from the start of the movie, so there was a lot of human and military action shown. Cool action movie feel. The lead up to Blackout landing, and eventually Transforming was done well. I knew what was coming, and still was engaged in what was on the screen. In pure cake-boy fashion I have to say when Blackout started Transforming I got one of those well-ups in the eyes. Man tears damn it, man tears. It was just insane because even tho it's so drastically different from the original stuff, and this was a character I am not attached to, seeing this thing Transform on the big screen was a realization I think many of us have envisioned since we were kids. And this was the first time it was happening. So yeah, pussy moment. I guess it would be like watching Superman fly for the first time on the big screen, or Spider-Man whipping around for the first time, if you were a life long fan of them.
- The scenes with Sam and Makeela were what we are expecting. However, Shia Labeouff has really good timing, and he relays the awkward teen with hot chick jitters well. You shouldn't be "enough already, get to the good stuff" - too much.
- When reading the leaked script a while back, the part that stood out the most was the "house scene", where Sam and the Autobots interact for the first time in major dialog. There was humor, amazement (for you and the characters), lots of WOW factor going on. They try to hit that feeling you got when you first saw Transformers way back when. Watching it come to life on the big screen was awesome, they did it well. The way they moved, especially Bumblebee, and the scenario of a group of 30 foot tall robots trying to hide in a suburban back yard was perfect.
- One thing that I am iffy on, was before and still am, is the whole thread of the movie that deals with Scorponok. When reading, I just didn't care. I thought that whole angle could have stopped after the end of the base scene. Instead, we follow the military guys running through Arabia, and going head to head with Scorponok. The action there was insane, big time action movie explosions and such. But, Scorponok looks retarded in my opinion, within the scope of the Movie styles, and really, who cares. Run, fight, boom, fight some more, focus on character development, blah blah, robot dies, and real movie starts. When watching it last night, I was kind of feeling the same way. After what we saw before it, (they showed this out of order and last), I was not into it. My 2 cents, trim that down to as little screen time as possible. Of note tho, the human interaction there was interesting, the military guys (Tyreese, Josh Duhamel , et al.) did a good job. Just wish that part of the story didn't even exist.
Overall I think this is what should be relayed to the fans.
- Seeing them move, interact, "emote" as Bay termed it on stage before the event, makes a world of difference. It won't convert the pure haters, but it should convert you middle of the road folks.
- These things look alive. No Energon/Cybertron style animation here, big blocks fumbling around. The body movements mixed with "facial expressions" bring them to life. And the graphics weren't even done yet.
- There are going to be a ton of throw back moments in this thing, nodding to the fans, we already saw a chunk and this was just a short sample.
- CLASSIC TF SOUND WILL BE USED. LOUD AND CLEAR. Its appearance here was quickly dubbed in, but bottom line is they wanted us to know it will be there, so yay!
- Voices sound good. Cullen had a couple lines. Very deep, not as John Wayne-ish. Robot-Effects on the voices. GOOD Robo-Effects, which I'm sure are also not done. Nothing even close to the recent cartoon garbage applied to the Armada/Energon/Cybertron Autobots. I am a sound guy and I really dug it.
- Ratchet and Ironhide had a couple lines. Very non-distinctive voices, similar to Cullen, but 90% sure it was not him. Hopefully, just fillers.
- Megan Fox is frikkin hot. So while all that kiddie "my car is herbie" crap is going on, just shut up and watch her.
- I think it will be easy to forget about the fact these things aren't G1, and look weird, for 2 hours and just enjoy it for what it is, even if you really wanted it to be G1. The fact that giant Transforming robots are on the screen will capture you. You can remember the fact you were pissed about things and return to bitching later that night.
- This is big. Dreamworks wants it to be big, Hasbro wants it to be big, and the stuff we saw was big time, non-cheese. It will be around for a while, so get used to it. New era is here.
Small gallery of the outside of the event can be seen by Clicking Here.
We would like to thank Hasbro, Paramount, and Dreamworks for allowing TFW2005 to attend the event.
Also, we will have a special treat soon... <br><br>Thanks to 2005 Boards Member <b>Tony Bacala</b> for the news.
|02-13-2007, 08:35 PM||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Collection Count: 6000+
News Credits: 6
Thanks Tony and crew!
|02-13-2007, 08:41 PM||#3|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Static Spark Ward
Collection Count: 48
News Credits: 20
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm liking that, alot. I hope the treat will be something really cool, like a clip or new picture of something from the movie. It could even be some new pics of toys for all I care, lol. Peace out.
|02-13-2007, 08:42 PM||#4|
Uhm, yea? So what?
Join Date: Jan 2007
Collection Count: 7
Thanks but i want to see the fricken clips >.<
What the Hell have I?
|02-13-2007, 08:43 PM||#5|
Is Not Jim...
Join Date: Apr 2003
|02-13-2007, 08:43 PM||#6|
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Collection Count: Too many and not enough.
News Credits: 1
I can not wait for this movie! It's gonna be great! Same goes for the game!
|02-13-2007, 08:44 PM||#7|
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: newcastle, united kingdom
Collection Count: 40 classics style
News Credits: 5
Great! glad they are using the transformers transforming sound!
|02-13-2007, 08:45 PM||#8|
Join Date: Aug 2006
Awesome! I can't wait until July!
|02-13-2007, 08:45 PM||#9|
We should get more letter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southwest Washington
So....the Autobots hide in a yard....in robot mode....and nobody seems to notice anything wrong with giant fricking robots in the yard next door.....
Did I misread something here?
|Latest News & Rumors Posts|
|Unite Warriors Devastator - Preorders Open!|
|Unite Warriors Bruticus Teaser?|
|TFW2005's SDCC In Hand Galleries - Devastator & More|
|Hasbro Withdraws From UK Toy Fair 2016|
|TF Adventure TAV21 Optimus Prime toy commercial|
|Latest Toy Discussion Posts|
|Beast Wars Appreciation Thread|
|MP-5 eBay UK listings keep getting removed – any advice?|
|Help requested with Platinum reissue trypticon|
|MP-27 Ironhide Discussion Thread|
|2015 SDCC Transformer Predictions|
|Latest 3rd Party Posts|
|FansToys FT-04X FT-04T Scoria Toy Version|
|Iron Factory Overlord|
|Perfect Effect PC-06 and PC-07 Add-on Kits - Prowlstator and New Arms|
|MMC R-01G Grandus Hexatron, Victory Greatshot|
|FansToys FT-07 Stomp (Masterpiece Sludge)|
|Latest Radicons Posts|
|G1 Breakdown Mini-Z 4WD RC Drifter [DONE]|
|MOTUC Ice Armor He-man|
|G1 COMBATICONS articulated|
|Technobot Nosecone (unpainted)|
|CW Soundwave / Frenzy / Rumble!|