Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Don Talks: More on VAs/Filming Date

Reply Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Bonecrusher Hates You
Collection Count: 108 Minicons and Counting. And some other Stuff, but it's not as important.
News Credits: 26
Send a message via AIM to Master Fwiffo
Don Talks: More on VAs/Filming Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Murphy
Had a great first week on SHOOT 'EM UP. Truly amazing. Our cast is wonderful, a great work ethic, and the director is super prepared and getting good stuff. This could be a special, and suprising film. Susan and I are psyched. We'll know more this week IF there are gonna be some Toronto Stooge visits. It is all about timing. I hope so.

On TF, I hoped to be able to tell you about our start date. I can say it is looking like late May. I can tell you that Tom and I are excited. I can tell you that Michael and Ian are working hard as hell. I can tell you that Robert and Alex are pulling all-nighters. But I can't give you the exact date until the green light comes. It will come. Maybe next week.

What I will point out here for y'all, is that the project is at a crossroads. The smarter of you could tell that things were happening behind the scenes when you read Michael's post on his site. EVERYONE has been informed by me of the ONE consensus in fandom- the original voices for Cullen and Welker. Everyone including Michael gets it. BUT not everyone supports it. If I believe the film should be tied IN GENERAL to the original material there is an equally vocal group within the production who believe that we should be re-starting our own mythology and that what was in the past stays in the past (with the exception of a nod or two). The other side has strong, rational arguments for their point of view. In their point of view, the original characters don't even need to look like you remember them, ie. Prime remains a truck but a completely new truck I don't know which point of view will prevail- that is Michael's call. The conclusion, either way, is coming soon.

What I will say, though, is be patient. We are trying to make a huge worldwide box office success based on Transformers. I hope you'll like it no matter what. Your voice is coming through ( you can tell that from Michael's post too). We're nearing the finish line on the one hand and the start line on the other.

Hang tight Stooges, hang Tight.
Link
Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
Bonecrusher STILL Hates you.
Online Fandom Rule #1: If a situation is ever unclear, assume whatever it would take to drive you into a blind rage. - Andrusi
Master Fwiffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Watch him out!
Collection Count: more than I probably need.
News Credits: 1
Quote:
The conclusion, either way, is coming soon.
Good. Then maybe we can stop arguing over it.

We won't, of course, but it's nice to dream.
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
RIP baby ILD
Collection Count: I own a Jedi
News Credits: 7
I had a slight heart attack after he mentioned Cullen back as Prime. That would be so awesome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Spamsalot
Oh boy, ilovedinobot is here, prepare your anus
"Pussy cat, you really know how to tickle my joystick"-Rattrap
ILoveDinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Attack Buffalo
Collection Count: 810
News Credits: 19
I hate Don Murphy. Nothing will ever change that. But I do appreciate he's doing everything he can to get the true Optimus Prime in the movie.
Here's a list of stuff I'm looking for!

Help keep Transformers Animated alive! Preorder Bluster & Trench today, exclusively at Planet Steel Express by clicking this banner!
Valkysas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Antigrav Singular Destron
Darkprime's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Please don't make me count them
News Credits: 13
Send a message via AIM to Darkprime Send a message via MSN to Darkprime Send a message via Skype™ to Darkprime
I don't think too many of us mind what alt modes are used, so long as a couple things happen: prime as a truck, seekers as jets, and certain colors for characters, like bumblebee = yellow, sideswipe = red. To me, those things seem like things which would be easy to agree upon. As for voices, I still would prefer cullen as prime and kaye as megatron. Even chalk as prime would be ok. But using a big name actor for the sake of it isn't necessary. It's really a shame that hollywood still hasn't learned that big name stars do not equal blockbusters.

Liquidating 1/2 to 2/3 of my collection...check it out in Junkion Exchange
PSN: Djinnmage
Junkion Feedback Thread
Darkprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Matrix Templar
Brodimus Prime's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 309
News Credits: 1
Send a message via ICQ to Brodimus Prime Send a message via AIM to Brodimus Prime Send a message via MSN to Brodimus Prime Send a message via Yahoo to Brodimus Prime
My greatest fear for this film is that it will turn into Troy. Remember that? Sure, it served its function: Helen leaves Menelaus, Greeks attack Troy, Achilles battles and kills Hector, Achilles then dies from an arrow to the heel, Greeks lay seige and destroy Troy. Yet it took a great story and distorted it. Examples: in the film Menelaus is a fat slob, a logical reason why Helen would prefer the more handsome Paris. In reality, Menelaus was a great warrior who was often praised for his good looks. To add insult to injury, the movie people KILL MENELAUS!!! WTF??!! Menelaus survived the war, took Helen back to Sparta and ruled. Odysseus' son Telemachus comes to Sparta to ask Menelaus' advice when he fears for his father's life after 15 years have passed since the end of the Trojan War. Other things it got wrong:

1. Agammemnon did not die at Troy. He survived, only to be killed in the bathtub by his wife Klytemnestra, who was pissed that he had sacrificed their daughter Ipheginia to Artemeis in order to get wind to sail to Troy.
2. The character of Odysseus. He seems to be the only level-headed Greek in the film. But in truth, he took concubines and pillaged and plundered as much, if not more, than the other Greeks.
3. Achilles and the concubine. Not only is her story wrong (I can't remember her name) but the film makes it seem as though Achilles didn't fight because he was torn between her and the war. Hell, the only reason he didn't fight was because he was pissed at Agammemnon. She had nothing to do with it.
4. Hector does not steal Achilles' armor after the fight with Petroclus. That point was essential to the story because it was supreme irony when Hector later fought Achilles while wearing Achilles' armor.
5. HELEN ESCAPES!!! **See part about Menelaus**

Sorry to get off on a Trojan rant there, but I love the stories of Homer and was painfully saddened when Hollywood all but destroyed them. Sad to say, I'm scared in the same way for Transformers. It's not like our voices haven't been heard. Don's made that clear, so has Michael Bay. But I'm afraid that bigger egos will get in the way of telling a good, nostalgic story. I thought the purpose was to make a G1 movie, so to tap into the audience's inner kid; so that the 30 year old guy will say, "Ratchet is the ambulance. Hey, I used to have him. Cool!" Or as soon as Prime speaks all the older folks in the theatre go, "Holy crap! I recognize him. He IS Optimus Prime!"

My point is this: staying true to the story and the idea cannot do any harm to the film. If anything it will help it, thanks to the nostalgia aspect. By "rewriting the mythology" (which is exactly what they did for Troy) you tamper with the myth, and it loses its power. I pray this film does not do that.
FORCE CHIP, IGNITION! > CYBER-KEY POWER!
Brodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Be a real fish
News Credits: 4
RID, Armada and Infiltration have all tried to update/rewrite/modernize the mythology with varying degrees of success. I'm totally with the producers who want to do something along those same lines.

just remember what worked and what didn't work and remember that properties like Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc all succeeded at the box office by providing that balance of keeping the fans happy as well as catching mainstream appeal. I know that sounds like pleasing all the people all the time, but its better than pleasing some of the people (Fantastic 4) or pleasing none of the people (Catwoman, Batman & Robin).

If they just try, they really can not fail. Its just not possible. Transformers will make a splash based on name alone and if they keep its interesting then it can be a long term success too.
Transformers: Dark Side Of The Moon

Enjoy new weekly video series, podcasts, and text features about all the stuff you already can't get enough of.
Shipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Omnibot
Collection Count: A fair amount
Hmm, I dont mind them changing the look of the robots just as long as you can recognise who is who.
The heads/faces being recognisable and the bots not looking too weedy are the only things I'm really hoping for.As for Peter and Frank, I dont think they're gonna be in this whatsoever. I'd like them but it's not a big deal for me if they're not there.
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Peace through Slapping
Send a message via AIM to Slappytron
YAM - Yet Another Mythos. Transformers has to be right up there with Batman. How many different takes on this do we need?
Slappytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
The REAL One True fan

Collection Count: 50+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodimus Prime
I thought the purpose was to make a G1 movie, so to tap into the audience's inner kid; so that the 30 year old guy will say, "Ratchet is the ambulance. Hey, I used to have him. Cool!" Or as soon as Prime speaks all the older folks in the theatre go, "Holy crap! I recognize him. He IS Optimus Prime!"

My point is this: staying true to the story and the idea cannot do any harm to the film. If anything it will help it, thanks to the nostalgia aspect. By "rewriting the mythology" (which is exactly what they did for Troy) you tamper with the myth, and it loses its power. I pray this film does not do that.
From what I've based able to tell this isn't a G1 movie.More a movie based on the G1 concept.We already have a G1 movie on DVD

And in terms of staying true to the story.As long as

1)They're robots from another planet called Cybertron
2)Optimus Prime is the leader of the noble Autobots
3)Megatron leads the evil Decepticons
4)They come/crash land on earth
5)Humans are involved
6)There's a matrix

That's IMO staying true to the story.I mean every TF toon we've had follows that concept.Cullen would be staying true to the nostalgia not the concept

BotCon 2006
Shaun_C is offline   Reply With Quote