Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Why does Megatron growl?

Reply Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #21
News Credits: 30
I don't know about you guys but when a giant robot monster growls I find him much more menacing than if he says "SUCH HEROIC NONSENSES!!!!".

And everybody else seems to angry since somebody always flinches to him when he growls.

And Megatron IS the kind of guy that likes to scare people.

I don't see what the problem is here. Just forget that you hate Michael Bay and you want him dead and think about this: growling is menacing. Animals do it. Everything wants to do it to show a presence of power and it works. Why WOULDN'T he growl?
shroobmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
With great power...
News Credits: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrawave View Post
...Am I the only one who liked Megatron's growl...?

Or rather, anything about the Movie Decepticons in this thread? :l
No, I love his growl. Do I think there were better ways to show he was a "bad guy." Yes. But that doesn't stop me from liking it. Making a character look and sound evil is pretty much Cinema 101 for filmmakers. It's why the Green Goblin cackled with laughter. It's why the Joker wore makeup. It's why Darth Vader's helmet is shaped the way it is.

And, as many people tend to forget, the movies aren't a service to the fans, they're a big-screen adventure for a large audience that's made up largely of (spoiler alert!) non-fans of the franchise. That is, people who aren't familiar with the motives and personalities of the original characters. Therefore, it's a simple way for the filmmakers to show they're bad guys without having to delve into three hours of backstory.
jru42287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
Junior Smeghead
Collection Count: not enough :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokuz23 View Post
Exactly, i like the Movies but not as TF movies (it's hard to explain) the plot is whatever to me as are the horrible excuses called "Decepticons" i only go to watch Robot Aliens beat the shit out if each other, i hate the fact that they are TF movies because to me (and a lot of people) they are not, they do no justice to the Franchise or the Characters, the only thing it did was revive the Franchise so i am thankful for that but hopefully one day years from now we will get the TF Movies we Deserve
What make the Decepticons unforgivable is that we are living in an almost golden age of film villains. The Batman films flooded people with it's take on the Joker. Quentin Tarantino gave us Col. Hans Landa and Calvin Candie. Both the younger and older versions of Magneto ended up being cool. Marvel elevated their film villains into something more than their comic book and cartoon counter parts.

Almost no character not even the movie Decepticons with lines so instead of the films being the most iconic version of the Decepticons you have to turn to comic books or cartoons to find something that resembles a character instead of an almost mindless brute just waiting for it's turn to get killed. In this age of film making the Decepticons just don't cut it as film villains. Instead of raising the bar on film villains they seem to be working on how far can you sink the bar?
Ash from Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #24
Decepticon
theyangman's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: More than my wife wants me to have....
His growl is stupid. The movies are a bastardization of the transformers I grew up watching and loved. He used the names, borrowed a few loose color schemes and vehicle types.

The moment I saw Prime as a Peterbilt Semi truck with flames, I wrote the entire series off as nothing more than a cash grab using classic names to tug at our heart strings.
theyangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #25
Herald of Unicron
Collection Count: CHUGorama!
News Credits: 1
It should have been changed to a kitten's meow after his tepid attempt at being a villain in DOTM
unicronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #26
I love BMO & Tree Trunks
News Credits: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokuz23 View Post
Hey everyone, just wanted to ask, in all 3 of the Bayverse TF movies, Megatron growls now why is that? He's done it in all three especially DOTM, just wanted your guy's input.

Also on a side note is it just me or do the Decepticons in the movies remind you of animals or a mindless creature? To me for some reason they all act and look like beasts (animals) with the exception of Starscream and Soundwave (which are my favorite in the films) does anyone agree or is it just me? Anyway that's just my 2 cents how about you?
you basically answered your own question.
"This movie is such an atrocious affront to filmmaking and storytelling that it's almost pointless to break it down."

- Someone incapable of breaking it down.
Ephland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #27
Autobot
I never really minded the growling so much; it is a bit animalistic but there is a slight case to be made for the film Decepticons being somewhat 'primal.' I was a good deal more annoyed by their constant spitting and slobbering - especially with Starscream. Growling can be taken as an act of intimidation but (apparently) uncontrollable slobbering just seems kind of sad and embarassing.
EmFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
Soldier
Collection Count: More than my shelves can handle
I liked Megatron's growl. Especially the growl he did when he first appeared in DOTM. I love the MB movies and the way the characters turned out. The only character that turned out crap was Devastator, but his amazing transformation made up for it
Mudflap2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
Seeker
News Credits: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta777 View Post
Because Megatron is savage, feral and most likely psychotic.

Plus growling is an intimidating gesture. He generally growls when hunting or bullying, asserting himself as the top predator, so to speak.
This. As seen:

He's an animalistic power-hungry warlord. It works with the general depiction.
QLRformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
Boatmaster X-treme
Collection Count: 156+
News Credits: 1
I like it, but when it sounds like a lions growl it irks me. I'd prefer if all of them were done by Hugo Weaving with no alterations.

Nintendo: Chr0medome113
jackgaughan is offline   Reply With Quote