Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Does Prime fear death?

Reply Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
Banned
Collection Count: 68
Optimus begging Sentinel for mercy only to headshot him 20 seconds later left me feeling rather cold.
KayeMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #32
I vawnt my berdt.
Collection Count: I lied. Maybe 75.
News Credits: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayeMinor View Post
Optimus begging Sentinel for mercy only to headshot him 20 seconds later left me feeling rather cold.
He says "Please!" while Sentinel is raking his ragged body across the bridge and kicking him around; you can take that as either a.) pleading for Sentinel to spare his (Optimus') life ("Please, don't kill me, Sentinel!") or b.) attempting to appeal to Sentinel's better side ("Please, Sentinel! Don't do this! Don't enslave the humans! You're better than this! Remember, you're an Autobot!"), which most people seem to gravitate towards the latter. He's not really screaming for mercy, he's attempting to just flat out stop Sentinel from doing what he's doing. Think of the scene. Sentinel is about to kill Optimus, but is interrupted from completing said act. Optimus kills Sentinel because, well, Optimus wasn't interrupted. They both had the same intention when they engaged each other in Chicago to stop (read: KILL) each other, it's just that circumstances dictated that Optimus succeeded in his mission. If Optimus had said "I'm not going to kill you, Sentinel!" and then killed him, that would've been more strange. But Optimus didn't betray his motives. He was fully intent on stopping Sentinel, no matter the cost. And Sentinel was willing to do the same to Optimus. One succeeded, the other didn't.
Interested in anything to do with voice-acting? Look no further than Behind the Voice Actors!
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
Vehicon
Optimus doesn't want the villain to kill him, because then he won't be around to stop the villain later. He was fine with dying with Megatron/Sentinel, or if his death would somehow thwart their plans. He was perfectly ok with suicide by Allspark because it would deny Megatron the ability to make a new army, and the other Autobots and human military combined could probably finish off Megatron, but not Megatron killing him in the forest because then nobody would stand between him and Sam, and not Sentinel killing him, because the other Autobots wouldn't be able to stop him retriggering the pillar.

Ironically in the later cases he was actually wrong, as the other Autobots did arrive in the nick of time to stop Megatron getting Sam, and the other Autobots destroyed the pillar, meaning even if Sentinel killed them all afterwards his plan to bring Cybertron to earth would still have been stopped.
AquamanOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
Banned
Collection Count: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
He says "Please!" while Sentinel is raking his ragged body across the bridge and kicking him around; you can take that as either a.) pleading for Sentinel to spare his (Optimus') life ("Please, don't kill me, Sentinel!") or b.) attempting to appeal to Sentinel's better side ("Please, Sentinel! Don't do this! Don't enslave the humans! You're better than this! Remember, you're an Autobot!"), which most people seem to gravitate towards the latter. He's not really screaming for mercy, he's attempting to just flat out stop Sentinel from doing what he's doing. Think of the scene. Sentinel is about to kill Optimus, but is interrupted from completing said act. Optimus kills Sentinel because, well, Optimus wasn't interrupted. They both had the same intention when they engaged each other in Chicago to stop (read: KILL) each other, it's just that circumstances dictated that Optimus succeeded in his mission. If Optimus had said "I'm not going to kill you, Sentinel!" and then killed him, that would've been more strange. But Optimus didn't betray his motives. He was fully intent on stopping Sentinel, no matter the cost. And Sentinel was willing to do the same to Optimus. One succeeded, the other didn't.
I don't buy that. He had plenty of time to say that during their fight on the bridge. Optimus was clearly in a rage and trying to slice his damn head off. Only when he was knocked down did he start "pleading".
KayeMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
Herald of Unicron
Collection Count: Soon to be a handful
Quote:
Only when he was knocked down did he start "pleading".
Washington.
PSN: Puck Hockey
NNID: Miichan
Puck Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #36
Mini-bot
Collection Count: 95 and still collecting
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post

Beautifully stated! Certainly how I see it!
jazzgirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #37
Eater of Snakes.
Collection Count: Probably less than you.
News Credits: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to optimegatron
Haha, obviously. Optimus may be an emotionally strong leader, both as a mentor, and a military leader, but he fears death like any regular soldier does. He experienced so much death back on his planet, he probably fears it more than any human does. But, he clearly knows what the consequences of Decepticon victory will be, and is willing to sacrifice everything for it. Optimus' morals stand above his fears and disabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterpoint View Post
I summon Thread Revive in Attack mode!
optimegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #38
Grape Flavored
Collection Count: Not enough.
News Credits: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to Shatterpoint
Prime IS death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superquad7 View Post
Also, Shatterpoint's post is pretty cool :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta777 View Post
Ah, Shatterpoint. Able to twist even the most mundane into the most hilarious.
Shatterpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #39
Collection Count: Lost count
News Credits: 1
Quote:
I don't buy that. He had plenty of time to say that during their fight on the bridge. Optimus was clearly in a rage and trying to slice his damn head off. Only when he was knocked down did he start "pleading".
Actually before Optimus' right arm was cut off, Sentinel was giving a speech where he was saying,"...the bravest of us all..." but "unable to make the hard decisions..." I noticed when Sentinel was saying the second statement, Optimus actually had one of his swords at the former's neck but seems unwillingly to finish his mentor.
LigerPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #40
STUPID STUPID DUMB
Collection Count: A lot. Probably 300-ish.
News Credits: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutobotJazz1 View Post
Who the hell in there right mind wants to be killed!!!!!!!!! Of you'd beg for mercy or something if someone was trying to killed you!!!!!!!
Tell that to a Creeper.
Prime Jetscream is offline   Reply With Quote