Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

88MPH Cancels Refund Request...2 years 3 months later!?

Closed Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
I fix toys.
dakroland's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Unknown
Send a message via AIM to dakroland Send a message via Yahoo to dakroland
88MPH Cancels Refund Request...2 years 3 months later!?

Dead Horse, meet Mr. Bat. Commense beating.

You've probably heard this story a thousand times. On January 31st, 2003 I pre-ordered the 88MPH Studios book, Transformers Genesis with a PayPal payment of $32.48 US. I was excited to see the original Box Artwork for the G1 toys, that was my main reason for ordering the book. A year passed by and so far, no book. Word started going around that some people were getting their book, but nothing ever arrived in my mail box. Finally, I inquired several times about where my book was. Apparently, some people weren't going to get their book, so Sebastien Clavet, Mr. 88MPH himself, asked everyone who wanted a refund to request it through Paypal. This was Feb. 26th, 2004.

Quote:
/-THIS IS AN AUTOMATED REPLY-/

Dear Customer,

Due to continuing complications, we would like to apologize and issue a full refund.

Therefore we invite those who have'nt received their books to request a refund using the PayPal system.

It is imperative that the refund be requested using the "paypal request money" function.

You can request the full refund to : paypal@88mphstudios.com , our account.

We will only process the requests that are made by paypal, those who have ordered through money order we have your information and will send by mail your refund.

We suggest to order the book at amazon.com where the service will be prompt and efficient.

Best Regards

Sebastien Clavet
www.88mphstudios.com

/-THIS IS AN AUTOMATED REPLY-/
I submitted my request for a refund and waited. No refund was ever received. On Sept 10th, 2004, I wrote an email to inquire what happened to the refunds, and CC:'d it to several 88MPH addresses. I got the following as a response....

Quote:
Dear customer,

This is Sebastien Clavet, owner of 88MPH. I realize you might be very furstrated with the lack of prompt response from your recent inquiry and I personnally apologize for this.

I will refund you as fast as I can.

Best Regards

Sebastien Clavet
Editor-in-Chief
www.88mphstudios.com
I received it twice. Form email, again. No refund...again.

Several inquiries have been sent to Sebastien at his various email addresses since then, but no response has been received from Mr. Clavet since 2004...

2 years and 3 months later, I get an email from PayPal stating that 88MPH Studios has cancelled my request for a refund. No reason for it was stated. It was simply cancelled. I have officially gone from being generally pissed and mad to being infuriated. But this should come as no surprise. Wikipedia listed his issues with giving refund as..

Quote:
Clavet suffered a series of setbacks in relation to the Transformers book, complaints and rumours range from insufficient book numbers to the inability to get refunds from Paypal.

The 2004 release Ghostbusters: Legion comic book in was marred by multi-month long delays which some speculate led to the loss of interest and lower than expected sales for the series. In addition the collected hard cover edition of the mini series has caused controversy over it's multi-year delay despite several hundered paid orders. Some comic book and property fans have leveled charges of fraud at Clavet for allegedly shady business practices and mishandling customer refunds.
I think the man is simply a fraud and a thief. $32 may not seem like much to some, for me and my daughter, it's groceries for a week, or a tank of gas that will last me 2 weeks...it's money from my pocket that was given in good faith for what seemed like an exciting and wonderful book. But that money was in fact stolen, no book given as promised and after repeated promises to give a refund, no money returned.

Does anyone know of any recourse to get this man to pay up? Should I contact PayPal? Or am I just simply wasting my breath, and my energy on that pathetic pile of horse crap known as Sebastien Clavet?

Home to the Trading Card Archive, Movie Sticker Archive, The Workbench and More!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Autobot Ally
News Credits: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakroland
Dead Horse, meet Mr. Bat. Commense beating.

You've probably heard this story a thousand times. On January 31st, 2003 I pre-ordered the 88MPH Studios book, Transformers Genesis with a PayPal payment of $32.48 US. I was excited to see the original Box Artwork for the G1 toys, that was my main reason for ordering the book. A year passed by and so far, no book. Word started going around that some people were getting their book, but nothing ever arrived in my mail box. Finally, I inquired several times about where my book was. Apparently, some people weren't going to get their book, so Sebastien Clavet, Mr. 88MPH himself, asked everyone who wanted a refund to request it through Paypal. This was Feb. 26th, 2004.

I submitted my request for a refund and waited. No refund was ever received. On Sept 10th, 2004, I wrote an email to inquire what happened to the refunds, and CC:'d it to several 88MPH addresses. I got the following as a response....

I received it twice. Form email, again. No refund...again.

Several inquiries have been sent to Sebastien at his various email addresses since then, but no response has been received from Mr. Clavet since 2004...

2 years and 3 months later, I get an email from PayPal stating that 88MPH Studios has cancelled my request for a refund. No reason for it was stated. It was simply cancelled. I have officially gone from being generally pissed and mad to being infuriated. But this should come as no surprise. Wikipedia listed his issues with giving refund as..

I think the man is simply a fraud and a thief. $32 may not seem like much to some, for me and my daughter, it's groceries for a week, or a tank of gas that will last me 2 weeks...it's money from my pocket that was given in good faith for what seemed like an exciting and wonderful book. But that money was in fact stolen, no book given as promised and after repeated promises to give a refund, no money returned.

Does anyone know of any recourse to get this man to pay up? Should I contact PayPal? Or am I just simply wasting my breath, and my energy on that pathetic pile of horse crap known as Sebastien Clavet?
Whenever I've brought this up in the past, I've generally been greeted by a series of "give up, you're never getting your money back" posts.

I think this guy should be sued, and we should keep doing whatever it takes to get our money back. If you pursue this further, let me know what I can do to help.
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).
Old 05-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Do you know this Icon?
Mine was cancelled this morning as well.

I Promptly issued another paypal 'REQUEST FOR PAYMENT.'

People should continue to keep this issue around so it can forever scar his future business relations with companies until he can resolve it.

Quote:
The network will feature content from Hasbro's rich portfolio of entertainment and educational properties, and content from Discovery's extensive library of award-winning children's educational programming, as well as programming from third-party producers.

There will be no "Transformers: Buckets of Blood".
Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Villain
News Credits: 1
In before lock and destruction of the world!

88MPH = coolest carny company ever!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Is Not Jim...
Joe Moore's Ebay Auctions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrain
In before lock and destruction of the world!

88MPH = coolest carny company ever!
Uhm, there's no lock coming...So long as I don't see personal attacks against other board members, or anything else out of line, then I don't see a need to lock it.
Botcon Sets 2005 - 2010 For Sale - Free Shipping
Old 05-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
Nyan Nyan
Send a message via MSN to KnightSaberAmi
okay when i did a search on the web this is what i came up under the link:
"Everyone stay away from any dealings with Sebastian Clavet or 88MPH studios. ... as the money from the West End production have made it a real class..."

However here is the link itself and scroll down till you see chucked again there's nothing there ....

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...g&article=1839

But I do wish you the best of luck in finding a resolution
Old 05-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
I fix toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. Blackrock
I think this guy should be sued, and we should keep doing whatever it takes to get our money back. If you pursue this further, let me know what I can do to help.
0MPG Studios is in Quebec Canada...so we can't sue them in a US court... I wonder if there's anyone in Canada who can look up law for an international class action lawsuit against him? I wonder how many people got ripped off by this con artist? There has to be at least 500 who never got refunds or the like.

Home to the Trading Card Archive, Movie Sticker Archive, The Workbench and More!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Beard On! Beardmaster!

Deefuzz's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Too many
News Credits: 3
yep got that email this morning too...reminded me of alot of bad feelings. That was one of the straws that broke the camels back and kept me away for quite some time.

Glad to be reminded of it.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Beware, the modelers.
News Credits: 12
Send a message via AIM to Primus Send a message via Yahoo to Primus
I got the email this morning as well. Same old $h!t. And just because he is in Canada doesn't mean he can't be sued in a US court.

Like Nick said, I suggest reissuing the request for payment. That's what I'm going to do. And at the same time im going to go to paypal with it.

I'm sure the reason that he's going through and doing this is because paypal has probably frozen some money and he is trying to unfreeze it by closing these requests.

www.TrionStudios.com - Check it out!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
I fix toys.
I submitted my re-request for the refund before I posted here. I'm not sure it'll do much good, but I won't give up.

As for being able to sue a business in Canada in a US Court, could someone cite case law that would allow this to happen? I am seriously considering organizing a class action lawsuit again this guy.

Closed Thread