Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

are transformers alive?

Reply Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Terrorcon
News Credits: 2
are transformers alive?

i had an arguement with my bother. he says, to be defined as alive, a species needs to be able to reproduce
shadowsfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Meh.
News Credits: 1
Yes, they have a spark, which makes them alive.

And they do reproduce too. Here's the wiki article on it:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Reproduction

Though not in the same way as you and me.
Meh.
Escargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Autobot
-They have sparks, which are basically their souls.

-They feel pain and feel all the emotions humans can.

-They DO reproduce.

-By your brothers' logic, those that are sterile are not "alive". Some creatures (Like mules.) and even humans are born sterile. What does that make them? Undead?

So yes, cybertronians are living beings.
Endgamelikespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
bionic hero
Collection Count: 2 optimus prime toys and primus
Send a message via Yahoo to daitarn red
primus created 13 ancient tfs
daitarn red
daitarn red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Herald of Unicron
Collection Count: I hid them all
Tell your brother that the definition of life form is changing. I mean the normal enviroments for extreme lifeforms do not fit with biological fact. Basically they are alive.
WilyMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
I voted for Super_Megatron and all I got was this stupid user title.
Cybertronians currently meet all generally accepted critieria to be considered "alive". In fact, being living, sentient beings rather than just automatons or piloted machines has been central to the brand since the very beginning.

Transformers

1) Regulate their internal systems to maintain homeostasis: through things like going into stasis-lock, self-repairs, and even some of their automatic adaptation systems.

2) Take in energy and excrete waste: either through energon or through other fuels, and the waste products can be smoke, or excess energy

3) Grow: While many transformers do not grow in the physical sense, development has been seen to occur in cybertronians, both at the mental and at the physical level (especially in terms of from protoform to "adult")

4) Adapt to their environment: Through reformatting

5) Respond to stimuli: Transformers feel pain, communicate, and perceive their world around them, forming responsive actions (both voluntary and involtuntary) as a result.

6) Reproduce: Depending on continuity, cybertronians can reproduce through budding, construction, hatching, etc. etc. etc.

The only criteria they don't meet is being composed of cells, and I don't really like that one, since it assumes all life we will ever encounter will share that trait of terran organisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyMech View Post
Tell your brother that the definition of life form is changing. I mean the normal enviroments for extreme lifeforms do not fit with biological fact. Basically they are alive.
The definition of life isn't changing in regards to the criteria I've stated above, and even extreme-zone life forms are still relatively close to other known forms of life. Only effectively minor details regarding life processes have been recently observed to not apply in some life forms (such as the metabolism of arsenic instead of phosphorous, when phosphorous is insufficiently available).

Last edited by Aernaroth; 05-27-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Terrorcon
after thinking about it, maybe they are like worker bees. where the queen bee is vector sigma, when it comes to reproduction?
shadowsfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
I'm an agile cat.
Collection Count: Shrek is life.
News Credits: 1
They do reproduce. While the means are never explained completely or the same in every continuity, there is always some form of reproduction. There are old and young Transformers, Transformers who have ancestors and decendants. They are alive, and reproduce. They think, fell, have unique personalities and have many, many biological parallels.

''Brevity is the soul of wit.'' - Bill Shakesguy
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Herald of Unicron
Collection Count: I hid them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsfm View Post
after thinking about it, maybe they are like worker bees. where the queen bee is vector sigma, when it comes to reproduction?
Answer is no. I don't think that the accurate scenario. The drones are female but infertile or even an asexual function. I don't see a hive mentality in Transformers as a species. I mean if you look at Hive mentality go to the Borg.

I like the fact is not well defined in reproduction.
WilyMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
I am a LegendaryAntiHero
Collection Count: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endgamelikespie View Post
-They have sparks, which are basically their souls.
This is what I'm thinking. It's like their heart.

^I've got more Gamerscore than xBigBotx

Like More Than Meets the Eye on Facebook
LegendAntihero is offline   Reply With Quote