Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Hasbro & Sunbow documents to Ziploc proving how much Transformers made from 84 to 86.

Reply Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Director Of Entertainment
Born 2B Alive!'s Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 1
Hasbro & Sunbow documents to Ziploc proving how much Transformers made from 84 to 86.

I hope I am not breaking any rules linking to this blog I found yesterday. But one of his articles has over 25 pictures of documents sent between Hasbro and Ziploc talking about how much Transformers made in 1984 to 1986. Some of the goodies are....

* Transformers single largest first year toy ever.... $100 Million in 1984.

*Transformers was the number 1 toy in both 1984 and 1985 on track to do over $300 million in 1986.

This is a must read for all of the doubter stating Transformers was not #1 back then.

Blog #379: Transformers Artifact of the Week: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman
Born 2B Alive! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Herald of Unicron
News Credits: 5
Interesting. My question is what is that toy that they were offering and does it actually exist.
Kabaya Wave 6 set of 3 Zone figs $20

My feedback thread. / Sale thread / Want list
bigkid24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkid24 View Post
Interesting. My question is what is that toy that they were offering and does it actually exist.
It was a Powerdasher.... I believe there is actually 3 different ones.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
I voted for Super_Megatron and all I got was this stupid user title.
News Credits: 2
Neat! These kinds of promotional items are always interesting to look at.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
These documents need to be saved in a new "G1 Non Toys Thread" along with the countless other pictures of G1 related items that get posted then lost 4ever in these forums. I have seen so many threads posted over and over again in the Gen. Forum saying that G.I. Joe, He Man, or some other toys outsold Transformers in 1984 and 1985. Complete rubbish. I have posted articles on here over and over again showing otherwise. Here you have Hasbro themselves stating it that Transformers was #1.... but in two weeks when this thread is gone someone will make a new thread stating that Transformers wasn't even close to be the top selling toy back then.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
I voted for Super_Megatron and all I got was this stupid user title.
News Credits: 2
If people don't read the stickies about the rules, what makes you think that having your idea of a megathread will permanently dispel these inaccuracies?

Also, what you just posted doesn't disprove the assertion that TF was the biggest selling toyline of 1984 and 1985. This very well may be the case, or maybe they were outsold by barbie and hot wheels, I haven't seen any concrete proof one way or the other. Even if we do take Dow/Hasbro at their word that they were "#1 in 1984 and 1985", this also isn't concrete proof, since it isn't cited fact or objective research.

Last edited by Aernaroth; 05-15-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
Herald of Unicron
Collection Count: almost as many as I gave away in '95!
Remember, that was $100 million in 1984 dollars.

Adjusted for inflation that's probably more like $180-220 million today.

And that's for a brand that came out of nowhere, not something with a built in "legacy" like GI-Joe or Transformers today. Or had a promoting media like Star Wars or Superman.

It would be like Motorcity, Kajuto or Adventure Time selling a $1/4 mill in it's first season.

Probably the only thing close is Angry Birds. Which seems to be hopping on the merchandizing train now (even though I only played the game for the 1st time about 3 weeks ago, I don't have an iPad)
This will not end well,,,

He Always was a little slow,,,,
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-funnies/122533-he-always-litte-slow.html
Infosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
cloppers = ignore list
Collection Count: What day is it?
News Credits: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to firehawc_69
Man, I hope something like this kit shows up for the Wonderbread He-Man promotion. That thing is almost mythical because there's no concrete proof of it to be found. Even calling Hostess and Wonder, no one ever could produce any documentation that says it happened, yet many, many people remember it from the '80s.

This is a really cool find.
Quote:
http://textsfromlastnight.com/

(516): Things to remember: Girls don't appreciate it when you yell "Beast Mode!" when switching to doggy style.
(201): You stood in front of a yellow Camaro and kept yelling at it to "Transform already!!!!".. yeah, I'd say you were pretty wasted.

firehawc_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
I am a LegendaryAntiHero
Collection Count: 1003
Awesome, it must've been as popular as Call of Duty is today.

^I've got more Gamerscore than xBigBotx

Like More Than Meets the Eye on Facebook
LegendAntihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Randy of the Allspark
Collection Count: 5,000+
News Credits: 114
I remember when the Transformers line was coming to an end there was an article in the newspaper about it. In the article it stated how much the series made each year. 1985 was their most profitable year and it was a steady decline every year after.

Randy
PoweredConvoy is offline   Reply With Quote