Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Transformers timeline & cotinuity FAQ.

Reply Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Mini-Con
Transformers timeline & cotinuity FAQ.

hello all im new to this board. and basically i have a few questions about g1 transformers and beast machines and some definition of terms.

recently i have been at the transformers wiki database and i now realize that there are serveral continuities of transformers.

US animated g1 timeline

Marvel comic timeline

beast era timeline (which is based of the comic continuity)

japanese beast era animated timeline

japanese animated g1 timeline (headmasters etc.,)

in the animated series there is no mention of sparks or primus. the quintessons made the transformers.

the whole primus and unicron thing is confusing. to further complicate things is the Oracle and cybertron having an organic core.

in the cartoon unicron was made by an ape-like mutant called primacon and the oracle was the assistant to the ape-mutant.

transformers wiki does a decent job of explaining it though.

Organic core - Transformers Wiki - Transformers 2, Animated, Toys

then there is the "the first robots that came to cybertron had to learn how to transform" makes the timeline more complicated.

then there is the oracle which there are several explanations for in the wiki

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Oracle_(G1)

and lastly the "de-evolving" of primal in beast machines. bwtf.com did have an explanation but i forgout what it was.

so we have The Matrix, The All Spark, Spark, Primus, Quintessons, Unicron,The Oracle and Cybertron having an organic core.

and i see that there was a mini comic series that continues the story after beast machines too. it would be nice if it got animated with the orginal cast. where primal is brought back from the dead by primus.

personally i think that somebody should take the dialogue from beast wars beast machines, g1 cartoon, and the marvel comics and create a timeline guide to make sense out of all of it.

this guy at imdb.com gives a good explanation.

IMDb :: Boards :: "Beast Machines: Transformers" (1999) :: Beast Machines - The Greatest Transform...

but i can sort of understand why some don't like beast machines. i personally think its a great FINAL chapter to the beast era that begins with season 1.

i read somewhere in the wiki that the quintessons where in league with unicron and the quintessions turned a natrual earth-like planet into cybertron. this would tie in the cartoon series but then where would primus fit in?

you see the whole backstroy to g1 & beast wars is so convoluted and complicated that the average viewer will not get it.
bhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Herald of Unicron
News Credits: 18
Well, first off, you're reading the wrong wiki - that's the old one. The actual community moved a while back - that old one still exists, and is still edited, but the "real" wiki has nearly two thousand more pages, and many hundreds more in a much better state of detail and completion. Click here for the right one! You may learn more!

Second, if you want a timeline that tries its hardest to make sense out of everything in the G1 cartoon and Beast Machines, Takara took a crack at it a few years ago and produced a monster of a chronology. You can read that here.
Chris McFeely on Twitter - - Chris McFeely on YouTube
Chris McFeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Party in my tummy!!!
GrandMaXimus's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 1 too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McFeely View Post
Well, first off, you're reading the wrong wiki - that's the old one. The actual community moved a while back - that old one still exists, and is still edited, but the "real" wiki has nearly two thousand more pages, and many hundreds more in a much better state of detail and completion. Click here for the right one! You may learn more!

Second, if you want a timeline that tries its hardest to make sense out of everything in the G1 cartoon and Beast Machines, Takara took a crack at it a few years ago and produced a monster of a chronology. You can read that here.

Oh man..that was some reading...buggy eyes...mushy brain on the Takara chronology.....i need a beer....
MY COMMISSION PROJECT
COLLECTION
WANTS
FEEDBACK

GrandMaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
lost with no way home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McFeely View Post

Second, if you want a timeline that tries its hardest to make sense out of everything in the G1 cartoon and Beast Machines, Takara took crack and had a go at it a few years ago and produced a monster of a chronology. You can read that here.
Don't normally " Fix " other peoples posts (So Apologies in Advance).. but I felt you set this up so well i needed to..
ginrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Autobot
Plus there is the IDW comic G1 timeline, the Dreamwave G1 timeline, and then weird things like the story books, some of which don't fit in any timeline.

Victory Leo
"Bows to no God,
Kingdom, or State."

KMFDM, "Son of a gun"
Victory Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Mini-Con
Thanks Chris

wow. that helps alot. now it all makes sense. thank you.

just a question. what's the 411 on beast machines?

do the trans geeks really hate it or no? i personally think its a the greatest saga and it brings beast wars to an epic finish. i can understand people creatively disliking it but why that hatred?

i love it! i have yet to see a transformer story that surpasses beast era shows. except for the live action movies.

RID, Aramada & Energon and the current series Animated are all kiddie fied shows. Armada & Energon could have been great shows had the right types of people been involved in the writing and animation. but the business side of things didn't worked out and it all went down the tube quality wise.

and RID (carbots) looks beautiful but its just too FLUFFY compared to beast wars as far as dialogue goes.

but thanks chris!

one last question about the TAKARA timeline explanation. which explain everything.

optimus primal de-evoling to orignal beast mode. and primus. takara's timeline doesnt mention primus. but they talk about primus all the time.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Herald of Unicron
Quite welcome! As far as Beast Machines goes, there was a LOT of negative response to it back when it aired originally, based around what the show did with the BW characters and the mythos in general. Since then, though, I think opinions have turned around on the show for the most part - while there are people who still don't like it, after having to suffer through *years* of objectively *dreadful* cartoons, many people look back on it more favourably these days.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
Mini-Con
what about the primus god of all sparks fitting in with the takara timeline and the optimus primal de evolving to season 1 best mode in "the reformatting"
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Autobot
Primus ...

If you look at the Takara timeline there is no mention of Primus. The origin of the Cyberton is different then the comics which takes the approach the Primus and Unicron were ... well more or less gods of opposite flavors, one good, one evil, one wanting to destroy the universe, the other protect it. Primus won against Unicron by luring their energy forms in inert astroids and trapping them there. However, Unicron reshaped his into the form we know, Primus instead invested his energy into creating a new race through which to explore the universe and defend it against Unicron, the Transformers (or Cybertronians or Children of Primus).

So the Beast Wars era are based loosely off the comics and the show (Beast Wars itself is more comic book centered with the potential origin of the Vox tied to the Swarm from the G2 comic, Beast Machines is more G1 cartoon based with things like the Plasma Energy Chamber) plus the writers wanted something to say like "By God" so "By Primus" was created. However, Primus is not part of the G1 cartoon continuity ... by Takara standards. If you go by the ideas from TF Universe Primus does exist in G1 cartoon continuity, but again like the Takara timeline it takes alot of explaining.

So basically Primus is not in the Takara timeline, and in the dub of Beast Wars in Japanese Primus is not mentioned (I haven't watched Beast Machines in Japanese) as far as I remember. Also remember the Japanese Beast Wars is far sillier at times ... Convoy spends episodes hunting for bananas (which is done by creating clips shows that are very ... amusing.)

Any more questions?

Victory Leo
"Bows to no God,
Kingdom, or State."

KMFDM, "Son of a gun"
Victory Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Herald of Unicron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Leo View Post
If you look at the Takara timeline there is no mention of Primus. The origin of the Cyberton is different then the comics which takes the approach the Primus and Unicron were ... well more or less gods of opposite flavors, one good, one evil, one wanting to destroy the universe, the other protect it. Primus won against Unicron by luring their energy forms in inert astroids and trapping them there. However, Unicron reshaped his into the form we know, Primus instead invested his energy into creating a new race through which to explore the universe and defend it against Unicron, the Transformers (or Cybertronians or Children of Primus).

So the Beast Wars era are based loosely off the comics and the show (Beast Wars itself is more comic book centered with the potential origin of the Vox tied to the Swarm from the G2 comic, Beast Machines is more G1 cartoon based with things like the Plasma Energy Chamber) plus the writers wanted something to say like "By God" so "By Primus" was created. However, Primus is not part of the G1 cartoon continuity ... by Takara standards. If you go by the ideas from TF Universe Primus does exist in G1 cartoon continuity, but again like the Takara timeline it takes alot of explaining.
At the risk of shattering your brain - the Kiss Players radio drama established that yes, Primus DOES exist in the Takara universe. He's the Oracle/Primacron's assistant/Vector Sigma. As such, the origin comes out the same in the wash - following a battle with Unicron which he lost, Primus's power is responsible for transforming a planet into Cybertron.

Here he is getting chummy with the Kiss Players: