Stylin Online T-Shirts
 
Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

FOC Voyager Grimlock Review

Reply Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #171
Lord Dragon Master
citoria's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 658
Collection Count: too many..far too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralstorm View Post
Interesting how one toy looks all-around larger than the other - which reverses when they switch modes.
It is actually nothing more than a matter of how big each tail it.

The bulkier and large the tail, the taller the figure.
citoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #172
Autobot
Xkcer Man's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 715
Location: Friendswood, TX
Collection Count: 75
News Credits: 1
Is there any chance the shield could be used in some way to close the gap in the dino lower side? Would that look better than nothing at all?
Why haven't you been to my Buy/sell/trade yet?| Feedback
Xkcer Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #173
Decepticon
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkcer Man View Post
Is there any chance the shield could be used in some way to close the gap in the dino lower side? Would that look better than nothing at all?
Not that I can tell... It's not even the right shape.

Seriously, I dig the figure, it's big, chunky and has really a imposing shelf presence, especially among other FoC / WfC figs, but I really can't get over how the designers greenlighted the hollow underbellied T-rex mode...

Not enough stuff left from the plastic allocation to design the transformation to at least attempt to fill the gap, maybe? I dunno, but somehow, I'd have willingly done without the LED light-up gimmick (the chompy jaw thing is all I need... ) if it meant the extra budget would've given them more plastic to cover that underside.

I mean, I see little merit in harping about plastic quality across the line or how little the paint apps are, but with the T-rex mode being what it is, it's a legitimate complaint, design-wise.

That and I'm not to fond of the gundam-ish ridges on his faceplate. Whatver happened to that headsculpt with teeth?

jya na!
cybernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #174
Herald of Unicron
closetrat's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,359
Location: Lost in Thought
News Credits: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernaut View Post
Not that I can tell... It's not even the right shape.

Seriously, I dig the figure, it's big, chunky and has really a imposing shelf presence, especially among other FoC / WfC figs, but I really can't get over how the designers greenlighted the hollow underbellied T-rex mode...

Not enough stuff left from the plastic allocation to design the transformation to at least attempt to fill the gap, maybe? I dunno, but somehow, I'd have willingly done without the LED light-up gimmick (the chompy jaw thing is all I need... ) if it meant the extra budget would've given them more plastic to cover that underside.

I mean, I see little merit in harping about plastic quality across the line or how little the paint apps are, but with the T-rex mode being what it is, it's a legitimate complaint, design-wise.

That and I'm not to fond of the gundam-ish ridges on his faceplate. Whatver happened to that headsculpt with teeth?

jya na!
Agreed on all points - that's why I opted to buy a TFA Grimlock - but still stuck with chest gap!

Deathwing's biggest fan - check out his mods here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Wing_Saber-X] View Post
My Junkion Feedback
closetrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #175
Affixiandoa???? LOL
sh002's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,003
Location: Southern California
I just noticed his Autobot symbol is different. How tall is he compared to deluxe WFC Optimus?
Check out my Huge Sealed and Loose Transformers Collection and Other Collections (Marvel, DC, Macross, NECA, GI Joe, Knight Rider, etc)
sh002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #176
Maximal
TFfanOP's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 355
News Credits: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetrat View Post
Agreed on all points - that's why I opted to buy a TFA Grimlock - but still stuck with chest gap!
Wasn't there someone on radicons who made a part for animated Grimmy that covers that chest gap?

I'm sure someone on shapeways can make one for the new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh002 View Post
I just noticed his Autobot symbol is different. How tall is he compared to deluxe WFC Optimus?
bold: That's Lightning Strike Coalition symbol.

screencap from YouTube:

TFfanOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #177
Affixiandoa???? LOL
sh002's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,003
Location: Southern California
thanks. preordered another grimlock to open.
Check out my Huge Sealed and Loose Transformers Collection and Other Collections (Marvel, DC, Macross, NECA, GI Joe, Knight Rider, etc)
sh002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #178
Knowledge Brings Fear
Morbo's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 440
Location: North Fort Worth
Has a few flaws, particularly the clunky tail and obvious chest in dino mode. Also, robot mode is almost too big for his somewhat plain arms and legs. Would definitely benefit from some more paint and detailing. In general, a good-looking figure. The empty chest doesn't much bother me, in both modes its fairly well hidden.

Has anyone noticed the little rivets in the stubs his forearms connect to? They seem to serve no purpose. Perhaps he was at some point planned to have sturdier (or at least sturdier connected) forelimbs?

Also, when the dino legs are properly tabbed into place (there's a tab at the very top of each leg, which fits in a grove on the inside of his chest), his legs splay out too much, you have to untab him to get him to stand evenly. Perhaps trimming the angled stop pieces on the inside of his chest could correct it?
This space for rent
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #179
Tiiiiim Thomas!
megatroptimus's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,068
Collection Count: More than 500, that's for sure
News Credits: 18
Got mine today from RK. Not even counting the left shoulder pin so badly inserted that the arm is now at an angle and flops around... not too stoked. All the joints feel super cheap, the transformation is uninspired (the tail is particularly lazy) and the general hollowness of the figure is a huge turn off. Hopefully RK will send another, because as it is, it's just a terrible purchase.
megatroptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #180
Macro-Con
Mister Gone's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,597
Location: Minnesota, 3rd snow drift on the right.
Collection Count: 200+
News Credits: 2
Finally snagged this guy today. Yikes that hollow tummy is sad
Tell the world what you think of Mister Gone! Junkion Feedback
Mister Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Big Bad Toy Store