Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Asia Exclusive Generations Protectobot Hot Spot

Reply Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Quintesson
News Credits: 1
Asia Exclusive Generations Protectobot Hot Spot

I'm a bit surprised that this figure hasn't been reviewed yet, as it has been available for some time. I've been eyeing the Ebay auctions, waiting for news of a Hasbro release, and since it seemed that it's still 1-3 months away, I decided to go for it. From a European perspective, I'm looking at $30 + scalper fees + shipping either way, so $80 shipped wasn't THAT bad to have it early.

You all know this mold. Hot Spot is basically Inferno but with a new head and slightly modified shoulders to accept clip-on weapons, but that's as far as the inspirations from the Grapple mold goes. He has the swiveling arm guards, the original detail molding, the water cannon and the old feet.

While I think the face plate is slightly too stretched, in a big chin Animated kind of way, it does make him look different from similar characters like Optimus or Grimlock. Hot Spot has his typical antenna ears that also are rather unique for him.

The painting is sparse but well done. I really like the black (slightly transparent) windows with painted wipers, something I've been missing on the other two. I still can't understand why the window is divided in two parts (like Optimus) when all three should have a big solid window, but there we are. Aside from his fireball decals along the side and some silver detailing, there's not much to say.

My copy is quite solid and it doesn't appear to have lost any definition after three repaints. The blue plastic feels a bit softer than the red, but it's still quite sturdy. Overall, this is a good figure that should appeal to old fans of Hot Spot, but I doubt others, except from completionists, see a need for him.

However, since I can't leave well enough alone, I've been working on an add-on kit to make him more unique, so I'll be showing up in the Radicons forum later on.
Attached Thumbnails
-review01.jpg   -review02.jpg   -review03.jpg   -review04.jpg  
Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
Introducing: Supreme class Smokescreen
SmokescreenSWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Master of Sinanju
DethPike's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: One ... but it's THIS big!
Send a message via AIM to DethPike Send a message via Yahoo to DethPike
Very nice review.

Not sure I dig the head/face on this one, but I'll get him anyway. That mold is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirus View Post
Currently thanking every god in the universe that DethPike does not know Japanese.
Some Stuff for Sale- My Feedback thread- My Want List
Perhaps one of the most important TF threads ever- The TFCC/FunPub Credit Card Fraud Thread
DethPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Expert with the Scopes!
Collection Count: 300+ ( 220, I really like)
I had him for a month now, just haven't the time to review him...
exclusacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Car Robots
Collection Count: 647
Nice pics and review. To me the new head is unique enough. He just needs more firing power...forget that water stick thing.

Oh and the blue SFC in the background looks wonderful.
Powersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Electrobot
News Credits: 3
I still have my original G1 Hot Spot and am looking forward to this version. Thanks for posting!
OCProwl's Sales Thread |OCProwl's TFW Feedback |OCProwl on Instagram
OCProwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Herald of Unicron
Collection Count: too many
This is my most wanted upcoming toy. I cannot Frakking Wait!!! He looks soooo good. i am such an Inferno mold junkie!!!
Feedback
MidnightBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Conehead
Collection Count: Not enough Dirges.
News Credits: 5
He looks really nice.
Nope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Amnesiac Theoretician
Collection Count: Never enough to compensate for my childhood
Like this mold but he needs to be a combiner.

My feedback thread:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/junkio...daddytron.html
daddytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
News Credits: 8
The best Asian exclusive easily. The mold is actually a Classics mold rather than a movie or Prime one and the colors and headsculpt are nice. I usually don't like getting combiner characters who don't combine but I'll make an exception when I see him at the store.
Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.
Bountyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
yeeyee
Collection Count: one thing i said that i would never do
he looks pretty nice, but the mold looks really boring. maybe i'll pick him up if i see him.
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote