Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

2012 TRU exclusive Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime

Reply Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Primus Hates You!
News Credits: 8
2012 TRU exclusive Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime

First of all, let me just say this is my first ever review, so bear with me if I might miss some things. Also, I've never owned MP10, so I might repeat some things people already know. I'll try to keep it short and simple though.

I love the box. It's a really nice display piece that manages to show off the major components of the toy and its accessories.

It didn't take long for me to open up the thing. One thing that really struck me about this toy is how much it looks like it just stepped out of the cartoon. The colors are absolutely fantastic.

Light our darkest hour!

I swear, the only thing this toy was missing was a display stand with Peter Cullen reciting some of his more famous lines. Just a great representation of the classic G1 animated Prime we know.

For those who own an MP01, I'd like to point out something two things from this figure that stood out to me. First I really like how the new designers gave him much more "heroic" proportions. I don't know why, but the first time I saw promo pics of MP10, I had the impression it was a bit strange, plus his arms seemed a bit long. However, holding him in hand like this, I don't see how I ever came to those conclusions in the first place. Second, compared to MP01's much heftier weight, this newer masterpiece is indeed lighter, but that also enables him to be posed so much easier. The combination of those two really make this a standout Prime.

The name is Prime...Optimus Prime

Autobots! Onward to victory!

I'm also loving the compartment to store his weapons.

Again, the colors really make him look like he stepped out of the cartoon.

Two tests of a posable figure.

Running into action

High kick!

Ok, one funny thing about my Masterpiece Optimus Prime - it doesn't come with instructions! I had to watch a Youtube video to figure out how to transform the guy. He does share some similarities with MP01, but I like how he's less complicated. It did feel like at certain points of the transformation, I felt like I was going to break or scratch something forcing it into place. I don't think I'll transform this guy too often.

Autobots...transform and roll out!

On to the trailer, Roller, and Spike.

Wait up Optimus!

Spike: Is it really over, Optimus? I mean, have we seen the last of this war forever?
Optimus Prime: Who can say, Spike? In this vast universe, is anything truly... forever?

Hey Optimus, can you open the door?

Ok some observations regarding the Spike first. Seems he's too small for Prime in alt mode, and slightly too big for him in robot mode. He's perfect for Roller though. Decent enough accessory, but not something I'd consider a must have given his scaling problems.

On to the trailer. I guess I'm sort of used to my good old G1 Prime, but man the trailer is pretty bare. Part of me wishes he came with some stickers to brighten up all the gray. I'm also disappointed he doesn't have the launcher especially since Roller has the aligning posts behind him. Again, I don't think I'm going to keep him in this mode too often though, so not really that big of a deal.

Roller, good ol reliable Roller, can't say anything bad about him, really takes me back to the classic G1 toy. Pretty much what you'd expect of him. He's also cartoon accurate. Love how he still retains his old ability to hold Prime's gun.

I'm surprised he has a hidden compartment in the back. Not sure what it's for, but a neat feature nevertheless.

edit: It is a trailer hitch!

So in summary, while I might not really be blown away by accessories like Spike or the detailing inside the trailer, the main attraction, Optimus Prime is just a really great figure.

For those of you who want a G1 cartoon accurate figure, this one really takes the cake. The colors are just fantastic. As many have pointed out, it really looks like he stepped out of the cartoon. G1 and Prime fans, this is an absolute must have!

edit: Just for the people asking of late, I eventually found the instructions under the layer of cardboard that formed the frame of the toy packaging. Didn't think to look under it before until someone pointed it out
Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
Feedback Want List

Last edited by Star Saber; 10-12-2012 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: Update :)
Star Saber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Hanlon's razor

Collection Count: Many
News Credits: 34
You can close up that gap between the chest panels if you squeeze his ab grill and back together.

radicons : shapeways : photography : feedback
process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Primus Hates You!
News Credits: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by process View Post
You can close up that gap between the chest panels if you squeeze his ab grill and back together.
Thanks, I figured that out much later when I was transforming him back from truck mode. The ones where he has the gap are ones I took from the previous day and earlier in when I was doing the review. You'll notice some of the pics have the gap closed already.
Sig pictures are to be no larger than 40KB in file size and should be no larger than 300 pixels in height and 500 pixels wide - 2005 Staff
Feedback Want List
Star Saber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
The Chosen One
Collection Count: 100 +
Nice review with great pics! You are a natural. Thanks for sharing this with us. Cannot wait to get my hands on this Masterpiece!
jksit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
D-d-d-d-duel!
Collection Count: 100-ish.
News Credits: 29
Great review! Looks great. Hopefully he comes out when I'm in the US.
Thenames9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Attack Buffalo
Collection Count: 810
News Credits: 19
The hatch on the back of roller is for you to rotate that back piece around, revealing a trailer hitch.
I'm selling things!

Help keep Transformers Animated alive! Preorder Bluster & Trench today, exclusively at Planet Steel Express by clicking this banner!
Valkysas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
#Bionicle2015
Collection Count: Could be considered a problem...
News Credits: 3
Dammit, this needs to be out now. Must have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloid1177 View Post
Haloid.
You talk about Haloid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergonWaffles View Post
Every damn day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiprime97 View Post
Oh yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways77 View Post
I write HalLIP fanfics...
Haloid1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Victory Saber's Recruit
Collection Count: >200
News Credits: 2
If Takara's version looked like this, my opinion of this figure when compared to MP-01 would be totally different. As of now, Hasbro's version is pretty close to the perfect Prime representation. Whether or not this tops MP-04 is completely subjective though, but for me I'll put them on par, since MP-04 achieves so many other things so well, especially its gimmicks that MP-10 somewhat lacks. Plus, I'm a huge sucker for diecast

BTW I've been living vicariously through you from your pics. I want this, like, NOW.

TFW Feedback
WANT: Hasbro-G1 Scorponok box + tray
opt1musaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Nobody can save you now
Collection Count: ~600 ...more than I can fit on my shelves.
News Credits: 14
Send a message via MSN to Omega Charge
I think this might be the best $100 I'll have spent on Transformers. Can't wait to find him.
Omega Charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
What the...?
Collection Count: Many
News Credits: 2
This is a really good effort for your first review. It seems like you take pride in your editing and how you pose the figure to show off their features, both skills that I wish a lot of reviewers would remember.

My only suggestion would be to make it clear in the title that this review is for the TRU exclusive Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus. It can get tricky since there have been other Hasbro MP Optimii as well as TRU exclusives, but the clarification would make it apparent that you're reviewing a figure that hasn't been reviewed by anyone else yet.

Keep up with more reviews, it seems like you have it down pretty good!

Born to be fully articulated.
orionpax636 is offline   Reply With Quote