Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Kuma Style (Picture) Review: Botcon 2012 Exclusive Overlord (Gigatron)

Reply Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Photographs the toys.
Kuma Style's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: I don't know. Leave me alone.
News Credits: 8
Kuma Style (Picture) Review: Botcon 2012 Exclusive Overlord (Gigatron)

The Bludgeon mold's been out there for a bit. Most people know it and whether or not they like it, so the main thing I'm focusing on here are the variances of the Overlord exclusive.

Firstly, the colors are (blatantly) painted differently.. I love that they mesh well in both vehicle and bot mode, without looking like either was sacrificed for the other in terms of deco. Here are some shots of the Vehicle mode:

And, of course, there's the robot mode. I wasn't too familiar with the bludgeon mold before this, and was extremely impressed with how poseable he was. The colors work well, and the headsculpt is fantastic! I do, however, wish the head was simply smaller.

What I really found cool was the weapon storage. His backpack actually opens up to reveal a smaller knife, that can also go into the holster on his right leg panel.

Since Botcon sets are all about repaints and redecos with newer headsculpts, there wasn't really a whole lot to choose from that scream Gigatron/Overlord. For the mold they chose, I think they did outstanding in converting this into a more classics styled representation of the character. I definitely would say he's worth a purchase. Hopefully you all enjoyed the pictures as well.

Last edited by Kuma Style; 05-02-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Kuma Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Toy Industry Analyst
Collection Count: 1024
News Credits: 2
No jet mode? I call bull.

Check out my toy designs here!
MisterFanwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Infectious
CookSux's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Too many, yet not enough
Send a message via AIM to CookSux
Now you just need the in-depth description of what it is that we're looking at.
CookSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Photographs the toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookSux View Post
Now you just need the in-depth description of what it is that we're looking at.
Actually, I just edited before seeing this. Wanted to post pics first and then write in the words so I didn't have to go back and forth gathering URLs.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless
News Credits: 1
Thanks for the review, he really isn't a bad figure at all. It's amazing how good photos really make that head sculpt shine, he looked really bad in earlier promo shots. Not my cup of tea however, to me Banzaitron will always be the best version of this mold.

I think he'd benefit greatly from more normal-looking feet.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Expert with the Scopes!
Collection Count: 300+ ( 220, I really like)
News Credits: 1
The first bot mode makes him awesome...I'm sure Maiden Japan is making a kit for him, he could really use some shoes...but Nice pics...should had you do my wedding
exclusacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Banned
Location: I only live in obscure places for obscure people like myself
Collection Count: Just a few.
News Credits: 3
Yeah, my one gripe with this guy is that his head looks a tad too big. The headsculpt itself looks fantastic though, and the figure as a whole just looks really badass.

Also, beautiful beautiful pics, TJ. You really brought out that blue.
Sinnertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Photographs the toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
Thanks for the review, he really isn't a bad figure at all. It's amazing how good photos really make that head sculpt shine, he looked really bad in earlier promo shots. Not my cup of tea however, to me Banzaitron will always be the best version of this mold.

I think he'd benefit greatly from more normal-looking feet.
I can understand where you're coming from. It's hard to unsee a mold as the original character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusacon View Post
The first bot mode makes him awesome...I'm sure Maiden Japan is making a kit for him, he could really use some shoes...but Nice pics...should had you do my wedding
That'd be neat if he made some things to fill him out a bit more, and thanks for the pic compliments man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
Yeah, my one gripe with this guy is that his head looks a tad too big. The headsculpt itself looks fantastic though, and the figure as a whole just looks really badass.

Also, beautiful beautiful pics, TJ. You really brought out that blue.
Thanks for the pic compliments, and yea dude...a smaller head would've worked wonders.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Sorcerer
News Credits: 3
Send a message via Yahoo to Pravus Prime
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Duckett View Post
Since Botcon sets are all about repaints and redecos with newer headsculpts, there wasn't really a whole lot to choose from that scream Gigatron/Overlord.
As soon as Overlord was announced, I immediately went to Classics Silverbolt. I still think that would've been a great basis for Overlord; the jet mode could've been black with a multi-colored (not black) robot mode. New head, lots of design cues, big signature rifle.

This just doesn't work for me. I see what they're doing and what they tried to do, but it's just not working for me.

Fantastic pictures though!
Pravus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Photographs the toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
As soon as Overlord was announced, I immediately went to Classics Silverbolt. I still think that would've been a great basis for Overlord; the jet mode could've been black with a multi-colored (not black) robot mode. New head, lots of design cues, big signature rifle.

This just doesn't work for me. I see what they're doing and what they tried to do, but it's just not working for me.

Fantastic pictures though!
Hey thanks for the pic compliment... personally, my choice would be Cybertron leader-class Megatron, but I figured his scale was too large to put in a boxset. Silverbolt would've been nice too, but it kinda' falls under the same "nothing larger than voyager" rule.